Tapatalk Forms Blockchain Advisory Board

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by H-DB, Oct 28, 2018.

1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,237
    Okay, I've been informed. I was not aware of that.

Funny thing though, I met with a Fortune ten company at a major convention. I had their senior brand manager's cell phone number. I met with them at their world headquarters more than once, they paid for it including a first class fIight and 5 star hotel. I've been on one of their private jets. All that, and a dollar will buy a cup of coffee. What mattered was whether I was an ongoing long term partner. I don't see any Google Partner tag currently on Tapatalk, only Panjo and Zetaboards. Maybe TT doesn't care to put it up there, maybe its no longer ongoing, I don't know.

Good for you if that's what you've had!

I tend to be a skeptic, and my thinking positively about Tapatalk requires having had a positive experience. Along the way Tapatalk has taken steps to alienate forum owners (and users):

- Pulling a paid app from the Google Play store, forcing users to buy another Tapatalk app to disable ads.

- Inserting their signature in all posts made by their users, to try to divert more users from accessing forum platform directly and moving onto their platform.

- Nickled and dimed smaller forums for a long time by not letting advertising money accumulate if it didn't meet a minimum monthly threshold (reputable revenue partners like major ad networks roll it over until it meets a payment threshold),

- They've had a history of poor support, often ignoring forum owner complaints on their support forums and not answering them, or removing them.

- Popping up notices to mobile users asking them to use Tapatalk, even when it was turned off in settings (I had to edit their PHP files to stop this bad behavior).

- Putting up an API spec in the public, then going after companies who used it to make Tapatalk like products. Then once this started happening, no longer keeping the publicly accessible API spec up to date.

- Poor privacy policy practices which violated their own privacy policy. Tracking of off site click destinations of users.

- And most recently, they gave forum owners on acquired platforms the big FU by not allowing them to export their board to go elsewhere.

- Indexed forums which showed up on tapatalk.com even when this was turned off by forum owners.

And all that aside, a key issue isn't whether Tapatalk users are interacting with your site. That's not disputed. The issue is whether more users are interacting, and if so, is it benefiting the site. Perhaps it does for you, and congratulations if it does. But it's done nothing for any of my sites, other than divert better paying revenue streams. One at a time I've been pulling Tapatalk off of them for this reason. The negative impact? None.

I said "it's just tagging in the HTML" --- ie the site is letting Google know it can associate a page with Tapatalk. And if the user has Tapatalk installed, the browser can opt to load the page in Tapatalk. If they don't have Tapatalk installed, it will launch in their browser. So, the user has been diverted from the browser version of your website.

I'll admit it's only supposition, but it's based upon what I've seen from them over the years: I believe sooner or later forum owners, for the most part, will suffer whenever Tapatalk announces something that's supposedly good for them. They continue to build Tapatalk's user base at their own long term expense.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,237
    An interesting thing happened the past hour...

This thread gave me the motivation to remove TT from the remaining forums I have it on. I've been taking it off them one at a time now and then. It slipped off the radar for the remaining, I intended to remove them back in May.

Anyway, I checked the Tapatalk analytics for all of them. All of them had a drop in Tapatalk traffic starting October 24th. So I checked for client who uses it, and her site had the same drop at the same time. I don't know what Tapatalk has done, possibly their groups introduced this month have started impacting visits to forums. Whatever the cause, it seems far too coincidental that all of them are hit with traffic drops the same day. I put in a request to remove TT from my remaining forums, and my client is now in the process of doing so for her forum.

Anyone here who is still using TT on their site, check your stats. Do you see a drop starting around the 3rd week of October?

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+89
    I agree.
    And those are legitimate concerns. My issues are similarily to some of these. For example, poor support is something I've noticed myself. Back in the days when Tapatalk was hot, customer support was quick... Now? Slow. You're lucky to even get a response on the same day. Both on forums and through tickets.

My biggest issue with Tapatalk right now is when you have multiple sites. Once you redirect your old site to site A, the owner console treats that site as the same as the other one. So, if you have Destiny 2 Forum, and you redirected it to DestroyRepeat, that particular Destiny 2 Forum is treated as similar to DestroyRepeat. It causes issues such as not being able to edit the link to work with another site (like the video I posted on Twitter). Their ajax/javascripting designs are cool, but again, it gets affected by redirects. This means you can't update the page even though you're doing something else. Annoying.

I had to delete those "site profiles" in order for DestroyRepeat to be recognized. I didn't want to delete it because whoever was following the site will be lost in the background on the Tapatalk service, meaning when you redirect - those users can't be moved over. When you delete your site, whoever pressed "follow" on your site, can not be transferred over to your new "site" on Tapatalk. Therefore you lose viewership on the actual platform. On the bright side, you still have their account on your database, but they will start to question you sooner or later. (*rolleyes* GDPR)
    I honestly don't understand why people are pissy about that. That's GOOD for you. TT meticulously even put YOUR website's link on a button. (EDIT: I did a search of tapatalk links to CODForums, and I discovered that they changed those pages into redirects to your pages. :D Which goes hand-in-hand with the deep links idea.)

TapatalkLinks2018.png

(...As you can see, the links are from Tapatalk, but when you click it from a mobile phone, from my understanding, it goes to YOUR site. I tried a few in this list - hence the purple "visited" link, and it redirects me to the desktop site. So, YES, it benefits you.)
    I've seen some sites uninstall Tapatalk, and it kills those sites off. I don't remember examples off the top of my head. However, in other sites I've seen people asking for Tapatalk, including my own. DestroyRepeat at one point did not have Tapatalk installed. (Under the previous owner.) And users kept asking, and asking why is it not installed...? A few other sites I went to, I saw similar rumblings. (COD247 aka FPS247 is one of them.)
    I will remove it when I am at my boiling point with Tapatalk. The inclusion of Blockchain affected loading of pages yesterday morning, and whatever glitches I had before, is still there, present in the control panel. Although, that's just my owner-facing Control Panel. I wish more of my users would use my native site, though, so I don't have to worry about Tapatalk anymore, and focus on higher page ranking on my own site.

4. Destroy Repeat

+89
    That colored in orange, is due to blockchain being on the server...

They're now on Cloudflare. However, this is what happened...

This means that Tapatalk is getting attacks from people trying to attack the blockchain. *rolleyes*

Great idea, Tapatalk! I always knew putting blockchains on a server was a bad idea in practice before I saw that. So stupid.

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,237
    The issue here for me, and probably not all sites see it depending on their Google/Bing crawl patterns, is occasionally I've seen Google assume the content on Tapatalk.com is the original and it shows up higher in search results than the original content.

The linking from Tapatalk is welcome, but in my case (when I allowed them to index) it was such a small percentage of links, and lacked much page rank, that it didn't help much if at all. Most of my linking comes from other authority forums (some of them have thousands of links to my forums), blogs, reviews, "life hack" type sites and some from Reddit.

One link from a highly ranked authority can drive a lot of traffic directly to the page and/or increase overall page ranking on the site. One such link, made 10+ years ago, still drives a couple hundred visitors daily to one of my forums. :)

I can see it killing a site if the site's user base (or many of the site's most active users) are visiting via Tapatalk. I would not recommend any site abandon it without first making a detailed analysis of both their Tapatalk and Google analytics (or whatever they use).

If any mobile app is being developed by any of the major forum companies, they are keeping mum about it (and I don't blame them one bit, keep your competitors in the dark so they don't push harder to beat you to the marketplace). I sure hope they are. At this point, it would be the one thing which would cause me to consider a switch from Xenforo to IPS. Push notifications come in XF 2.1 will help. Currently, I use OneSignal with XF 1.5, and it's one of the reasons I'm not switching them to XF 2.0.

I'm really glad Tapatalk drives traffic for you (seriously). Whatever brings a site success, keep doing it. :) It just hasn't worked for me. Maybe it's the niches my sites occupy, who knows? :( Its like social media, for some niches it's wildly successfully at driving traffic to the forum, for others it, unfortunately, it drives interaction to the social media site!

6. Destroy Repeat

+89
    Been trying to advertise on Reddit for a while now, and nothing works. A user even tried to advertise for me, but moderators said "no advertisement." Man, f#^& you! You mean to tell me everyone else is able to advertise, but not me...? Whatever. On a fundamental level, Reddit is broken - one subreddit can moderate like a nazi, another one is laid back. Reddit needs a unified moderation system, and not cut off from each other. I met the co-founder, but I couldn't reach him....

Yup. I know this. :D
    A lot. Push notification is underneath 2.0 in light form through browser notifications, but push notifications? Bring it on. That is the last feature that I'd need for me to push myself to uninstall Tapatalk. However, a lot of users love the "native app" feel. So, I'll keep it installed after 2.1 to test things out, see how people behave. If I see a smidge of improvement on the push notifications, I'll go ahead and drop it.

7. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+86
    Amother piece of the puzzle was announced...

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • List
  8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+969
    Very interesting

Makes sense. So sort of a Patreon model for content creators on forums perhap?

Could be big if people can actually make money out of it.

A forum platform that could enable both users and admins to make money based on how valued their content is in the forum, perhaps by analysis of post ratings or direct transfer of money for individual posts.

Tapatalk are already way ahead of the game by spotting the value in a native mobile app years ago.

Integrating money, payments or micropayments tightly into the platform could be another massive step forward and really influence where new users decide to hang out and where admins start new communities.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+969
  10. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+86
    Some more news from Tapatalk.

11. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+149
    Whenever you see the word "blockchain", you need to replace it with "fairy dust".

It's useful in some places like Git (Git is a blockchain of sorts, fun fact), but people have completely lost their minds with it and some will throw money at anything vaguely related to it, even if it's the most ridiculous thing in the world.

I'm surprised it's still such a big thing after the 2017 bubble burst.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.