Featured Tapatalk Forms Blockchain Advisory Board

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by H-DB, Oct 28, 2018.

1. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+80
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    The title reads like satire after the last year or so of the blockchain band wagon.

Using it to solve anonymity on forums it seems? Didn't realise that was a massive issue?

Seems like a good team though.

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+125
    I didn't actually understand that press release. What is this trying to solve? What is "anonymity problems for seamless end-to-end forum management"?

Are they trying to help people become more anonymous, is this just for payments?

Help needed to translate into laypersons terms please :)

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  4. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    Shiny New Tech of Week = Block chain => Lets integrate it into our company somehow

I do wonder what it really means though, like you say, the press release doesn't really explain it all that well.

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,800
    Blockchain is the new buzzword its like you said it “lets integrate it” we have no idea how or why but we will attract new people. It was the same with cloud still is.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    Yeah, I assume plenty of thought has gone into this and it must be a suitable tech for whatever they have in mind, but I can't currently see why they need it or what they're going to do with it.

7. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,065
    Gotta have some of that AI-powered machine learning cloud blockchain venture money...

With blockhain, in the context of non-realtime text communications it's really about deanonymizing individual actions using multiple origins and ensure people can be uniquely tracked across at least a single network (more, or even the whole internet if this sees widespread adoption) without giving users access to or control of their 'shadow accounts' with persistent undeletable data and despite the usual measures they take to try anonymizing their online activities.
    Pseudonymity was one of forums' greatest strengths and there's no reason a workaround to complete conversion of forum networks into social networks like facebook should be seen as a positive or gamechanging by either users, visitors or webmasters.

Decentralized databases already work today and are compatible with various legislations requiring user data companies hold to not be unchangeable or permanently archived (like if a user wants specific posts deleted/edited, post ownership by his unique identity revoked or simply parts of his profile data edited). Consider just the havok non-deletable public and private automated spam could cause, or hijacking users account with data forever misattributed to a user. Data left in an immutable state causes too many issues in online communities and it's going to worsen if this becomes a trend.

I'm disappointed actors like TT and scriptmakers havent (yet?) gone after federation instead, since it will be the next major evolution in online communities rarely discussed, liberating participating nodes of any central party's control (even a blockchain database's).

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,767
    Snake oil. The application of an inappropriate concept by a company with one aim in mind; to take control of your forum content for their financial gain. No thanks.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    Hmm, it interesting to see the founder of Discourse getting involved with this. As far as I'm aware there's currently no plugin for Discourse to integrate with Tapatalk.

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,833
    If their history is any indication, any "innovation" they come up with will be to their benefit at the expense of their forum "partners".

11. vbresults

vbresults Enthusiast

+77
    This seems harsh on the surface but it could be on the money. Think of a forum that leaves TT in the current non-blockchain scenario: the forum says "get rid of your copies of my data" (forums, threads, posts, users, etc). TT loses all of that plus money in this scenario.

If forum data was on the blockchain, then it's on each user's device, now in the public domain, and TT intentionally does not have the capability to delete it. So, they can serve and monetize that data on devices forever. It's very clever.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  12. H-DB

H-DB Enthusiast

+80
  13. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    You listened to it?

From the description it seems the focus is on anonymity, as well as trades and transactions, so forum monetisation I guess. The term anonymity is quite broad in terms of how that would work though.

Will have listen when I get a chance

14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,895
    Scary: 41:09
    Play later...

15. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+53
    I want my users to interact with my sites, but every ****ing time Tapatalk introduces a dumb new feature, they make me frustrated. I keep their app because of my users, and access to content via phone and more SEO benefits.

However stories like this is pushing me to drop TT. I really don't like the decentralized internet we're heading towards right now. And blockchain is a dumb term IMHO.

16. ENF

ENF Participant

+23
    This is a joke right? What exactly does TapaTalk do that 'improves' your SEO? Or if not improve, what benefit do you think you're getting?

Using TapaTalk takes away from actually experiencing your site as you have designed it. (No idea what software you're using) - We had TapaTalk many moons ago and we tossed it shortly after converting to XF. Interactions from those former app users went up because they got to see the actual site as a whole instead of through the filter of an app that doesn't bring everything forward for the end user to actually experience.

I'm truly curious what the SEO benefit is.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. Destroy Repeat

+53
    Tapatalk partnered with Google. Otherwise, they wouldn't have this interface...

TapatalkAppIndexing.png

What you do, is you install tapatalk as normal. Sign up for Google's Search Console, and create an "account" for your site, submit everything you need, such as RSS, Sitemaps, etc. Then follow these steps (c&p from the page itself)...
    Wait at least a few days to a week. They tell you if the app is linking to your google site. Make sure the site you intend to link is in your account.

Once Google links both your Tapatalk account to your search console SERPs, they consider them the same site, but not exactly. Starting this year, Google puts priority to mobile sites, so if you have something like Tapatalk installed and linked to Google's system. Not only will Tapatalk send you people, Google themselves will do it, as well. Tapatalk's ecosystem has users, so they don't really need anything else - so when a user types in a keyword into this box...

Screenshot_20181030-133946.jpg

A user may see your site. Tapatalk is actually a search engine itself, but they're not a traditional search engine. Just type in a keyword, and they will find your site if you do it right. For example, my niche sites usually have keywords in it. So anytime a user types in "Black Ops 4," guess who's #1? My very own Black Ops 4 Forum.

Screenshot_20181030-134355.jpg

This is VERY important on launch day. You want to reach potential users on Tapatalk searching for the keyword. On top of this, every time you post a new thread or post (wordpress/blogs), visitors immediately see that content...

CODForumsViral.png

Another example is this one and it's PERFECT for my point....

24Hours1kUsersCODFThread.png

Both was posted the same day, and yet, in 24 hours. TWENTY FOUR HOURS... Both posts blew up.

Two things happening here: Users are seeing the content from their phone, or from e-mail (deep links).

The tapatalk content on Google also sends traffic to your physical site, on top of the app content.

All of my sites are on xenForo 2.0. I've been a part of Tapatalk since practically the first day it was available on xenForo.

The problem is the owner interface is glitchy in some places, the server sucks. Don't believe me...? Here ya go...

(Shhh... Don't tell them that the issue still exists, even after they said the issue is fixed. Shhh.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Informative! Informative! x 3
    • List
  18. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,833
    ^^^^^ It seems you don't understand how mobile app indexing works. They didn't partner with Google, it's just tagging in the HTML and connecting Search Console can see it. Anyone with an app can do it:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6178088?hl=en

It doesn't get you into more pages in Google, more visits, increase SERP results, or anything else like that. It simply tells Google if the user has Tapatalk installed when they hit the link it can be opened in Tapatalk.

In other words, it's not gaining you traffic. Its diverting Google visits from your mobile pages to Tapatalk. Like everything else they do, it's for Tapatalk's benefit, not yours.

19. Destroy Repeat

+53
    That may be true, but Google has to authorize the ability to do this on an account-level way. I am not knocking your response, but believe me when I say this - they did partner with each other. Google has a VC section of their company, so essentially, they partner or invest in new, emerging companies. I read something like this a few years ago stating that Tapatalk is part of the google program. And yes, they've met each other. Google and Tapatalk was in the same room, I would know because I was there. You all already know which event that is. ForumCon. Viglink even allows their ad service to be on Tapatalk. On top of this, it's no accident that Panjo got acquired by Tapatalk, it's because they met each other already. I met the founder of both companies. I met Oliver. So, you really didn't need to dispute this.
    I know that, that's actually what I was saying. And I know it's for their benefit, but if you think broadly, and positively - it benefits you too. Because whether you realize this or not, users are still interacting with your site.
    This correlates with what you said above, so this comment shouldn't have been on the top, it should have been on the bottom. You should've led with the above comment, rather than this one. Because while your pages aren't directly on google via Tapatalk, your content is ASSOCIATED with your site, and your link is associated with it. And no, it doesn't just tell Google the user has Tapatalk installed, it just tells google that the site has Taptalk installed. You got it right, but backwards.
    Not directly, but the traffic is "there."

If you choose to believe what you want, then I won't bother changing your opinion. Because it's just not going to happen. People never change opinions, so I'm not even going to bother.

EDIT: Turns out, it didn't take long for me to find proof, and it's from this very site. Et voila! https://theadminzone.com/threads/wi...by-google-affect-your-website-ranking.116229/

"We are excited to announce that Google has launched global app indexing. Being a launch partner, Tapatalk is among the first multi-domain apps to integrate this feature. This new feature further ties together the efforts of improving content, discovery, and app downloads. With mobile app indexing, users will be able to tap a link and instantly view content directly in Tapatalk or related mobile apps. Also since this is a "global" launch, indexed content is no longer limited to just English for participating apps."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  20. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,084
    On the topic of Google "Launch Partner", that thread linked to above is from 2015, I'd be curious to hear/see any recent updates on the topic about Google showing a mobile app link in their search results considering that lately Google seems to be de-emphasizing mobile apps in favor of encouraging sites to be PWA enabled.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.