Switching to Xenforo, looking for some advice!

InSite

Aspirant
Hello all!

(Sorry for the wall of text - just excited to be here I guess!)

I have been using vBulletin since 2002 (holy cow, I just looked that up on their forums), and for the last few years or so I haven't had the need to make any major updates to my website. Recently, however, I decided to give it a facelift, and that was an eye-opening experience to say the least. I caught up on all the drama with the vBulletin 5 release, staff departures, lawsuits, and probably the saddest part for me, the decline of a once awesome community of modders who were the real reason I stayed with vBulletin all these years.

Adding simple features missing in stock vBulletin was a minefield, going over mods and posts from 2012 - 2013 that were no longer updated. Every demo page or modders page I visited had switched to Xenforo, and I realised I was in for a battle to get things exactly how I wanted. I spend about 3 months working on my site, patching everything in and getting it just right. And then it dawned on me - the first problem I have with any of this code, and I have to start almost from scratch JUST to have a forum that can ALMOST keep up with all the new software out there. I had to change.

So now I am setting up a new Xenforo forum. To someone like me, who has been out of practise anyway and so used to how things are done in vBulletin, it's a steep learning curve. I hate to admit, but I still think mainly in tables, so all this CSS stuff makes me break out into cold sweats! Luckily I made one very good choice from the beginning, and that was to spend a lot of time researching theme developers, and I found PixelExit, who has already gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me with a few customisation issues.

And that brings me today!

I'm looking for some help with some not-quite-xenforo stuff for my website. I was an avid user of the popular portal software vBulletin Advanced (the developer has now stopped working on the product, one of the reasons I decided to look at my forum options). With this, I had my 4 latest news articles displayed on my homepage (but were not separate from the forum like a real CMS - just the first 1000 letters, and then a link to the forum post to read more). It seems I can replicate this in Xenforo easily enough with either Xenporta 2 or CTA Featured Threads & Portal.

However I also, rarely it seems, used vBAdvanced to add the other sections for my website - static pages with things like a links page, a guild history, a page showing some of our YouTube videos, etc. All of these pages were statically coded by me, and just fed into the vBAdvanced page which added all the widgets / site design to it.

I do not believe either of the 2 Xenforo addons I mentioned can do this second part - they seem to be for a single home page and nothing else. And all the demos I look at are more simple website structures with just a home page and a forums page (or forum pages like members list, etc).

So what is the best solution to achieve what I had before? I do not want or need a full blown CMS product like Wordpress, I just need something that can create a dynamic homepage, and then static pages based on Xenforo.

Another less difficult choice I am looking for suggestions with:

What is a good chat script to use? I previously used vBShout from DBTech. I know they have a Xenforo version, but I wouldn't mind a change - they don't tend to have the best design choices for their products. I see Siropu is popular here?

Many thanks! This has been much more of a challenge than I anticipated. The hardest part with making changes is knowing *where* everything is, *which* CSS file to edit, etc. I was so used to vBulletin. But I know that it'll be worth it to have a fully responsive website that actually looks good on my mobile :)

Last edited:

InSite

Aspirant

I've done some experimenting with this. It's certainly not an 'out of the box' solution, but maybe it can be adapted with a widget addon? Has anyone else achieved this that has a demo / website I could see? Also, how would this effect my website page structure? I don't want the additional pages to have the forum link in them, it looks ugly. It should be:

mywebsite.com - home page
mywebsite.com/forums/ - forums
mywebsite.com/about/ - about us page
mywebsite.com/links/ - links page
etc

Could this be achieved with .htaccess maybe? I'm not very experienced with that, but it that's the right direction I could figure it out.

dieKetzer

Adherent
have you installed xf in your root directory? if so, the urls by default would be .com/pages/whatever.you.named.it/
its been years since i set mine up, and i somehow managed to have mine at .com/tos .com/links etc

InSite

Aspirant
Well it's just a test installation at the moment, so I can change where I have it installed. But my old forum is mysite.com/forums/, which I'd prefer to keep as is. I also don't see the need for the /pages/ part of the URL - in fact it turns into /forums/index.php?pages/history/.

Edit: Just saw you added information about the 'nodes as tabs' addon. Thanks, I'll check this out :)

InSite

Aspirant
Node As Tabs certainly makes using the Pages feature possible for me. I can see now that a combination of this, a widgets addon and a front page addon would do the trick for me.

The only issue now is how to change the ugly URLs. Is there any reason they would be like this, eg SEO? And how would you suggest I go about changing them, so for example:

mysite.com/forums/index.php?pages/history/

becomes:

mysite.com/history/

(and I can keep forums in mysite.com/forums/)

Thanks! :)

In the admincp go to: Home -> Options -> Search Engine Optimization and enable "Use full friendly URLs". You may also want to enable "Include content titles in URLs".

You can also use the route filters (home -> route filters) to re-write urls as desired. For example you can make a url like "categories/example-category.15" become "cat/example-category". This works for all pages within xenforo.