Suggestions on starting a new community.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Abdel, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Abdel

Abdel Aspirant

+0
    Hello,

Amazigh is the native people of North Africa, they are more than 40 millions living in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Mali, Niger and other places in the world especially in Europe.

I'm one of them and I own the exact name .com domain since 98. The domain is a great asset for me and I want to start the website and do it right. My idea is to offer a website for amazigh related news, opinions, contributions, and maybe later offer a store and other sections.

i'm debating if I should consider wordpress to start with or setting up an online community forums and go from there.

Any suggestions are most welcome, i really need to decide before i start the website.

Thank you guys. I know some of you have similar concept/ communities.

2. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+576
    For a project like that I'd definitely use WordPress and later setup a forum if necessary.

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+186
    I would say both. Search engines don't like forums as much as they used to, so having a blog/article/static site on Wordpress or similar is critical for the front end of your project, with a forum on the platform of your choice in there too for the community side of things.

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,934
    I agree.

Your domain name is indeed a huge asset which should attract a lot of traffic so I would exploit that to the max. A forum with a solid front end for publishing content relevant to your target audience would be my choice. WordPress is certainly an option but I would also look at whether there's a forum platform that can provide a complete package for better integration.

5. Lala

Lala Participant

+40
    Agree that it should be both.

When choosing the software - for me the bottom line decision was down to who's going to be contributing most of the content, myself or the community. Admin-generated content takes longer, and the quality isn't as good (without diversity of perspectives/opinions/interests it gets boring after a while). On the other hand, community-generated content is excruciatingly hard to make happen, because most users aren't interested in (or capable of) producing content that's good enough to publish.

We started with a static site and forums, and then (years later) bridged them, enabling users to post content to the site. I'm happy with where we are, but if we had to start all over again - I'd get something like IPS suite.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,934
    I'd say that could well be a good choice in this instance.

7. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+847
    Social media type tie-in: "AmazingAmazigh" dot com. Images, videos, audio clips and blogs from amazing Amazighs from all over the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    Get that instagram on the go too, tied into this and embedded on the Wordpress home page.

If you're going to start publishing content I'd use Wordpress for the home page and CMS so you've got full access to the WP add on and dev ecosystem, then bridge it with some dedicated forums software. Personally I'd bridge it with XenForo as I prefer the core forum experience compared to many of the other options. You can use a bridge like this to link the two.

9. Abdel

Abdel Aspirant

+0
    Thank you guys for the great advice/suggestions. I'm looking into wordpress with possible bridge with Xenforo, and currently on the overall sitemap. Thank you again.

10. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Are you going to need to have a system that allows for the reading of and input into with the use of more than a couple languages? That geographical area you seemed to point to in the OP strikes ma as possibly having a number of languages involved.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.