[SUGGESTION] New Animated User Online Graphic

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by PoetJC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+767
    The user icons In my opinion should never exceed the height of the .bigusername and that's where I think the problem lies with these. Although the animation Jacqui displayed (looks really good) animation does distract, could even be annoying to some people (although I will say Jacqui's variations are subtle). The problem is that they're far to big, but that neither here or there.

I think before animated variants are even considered that the size of them should be put up for discussion and discussed about re-sizing them down a little. 25px x 25px is a good size. Would then bring it to the alignment of the .bigusername text, or very close to it.

Regardless of that, if they are to remain, so be it. It doesn't bother me that much as I can distinguish the online from the offline (I mean you would need to be blind not to) the online icons are the first thing I tend to focus on when entering the postbit which is another problem in itself. Online icons should never be the focus point in any post viewing area.

2. smacklan

smacklan Squirrel!!

+185
    Agreed 100%

3. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    I agree too - I think that's what I was attempting to change about the icons - I couldn't really put my finger on it Shelley - but yes - size is the issue - and though I usually like larger... ((different topic entirely LOL)) --- But yeah - I think they should be sized to at least the same height as the bigusername element - And now that I've posted so many times in this thread - I can easily distinguish between the online & offline icons... I do think a subtle animation effect would be nice though... And yes - I'm accepting donations towards a new pair of glasses - perhaps can cure my blindness ahahhaa

Jacquii.

4. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I'd be careful when using adjectives like that, if I were you, lol. People tend to get the wrong idea (Hint: Please see Chit Chat.), and other weird things. :suspect:

5. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,517
    I can't say I agree with all of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I've decided to give the animated online status icon a trial run. :)

6. theone759

theone759 Habitué

+11
    I don't think its bad actually seeing it in action, not distracting at all imo. It's pretty subtle.

7. MisterPersonality

MisterPersonality Shut up and run!

+44
    I love the updates online/offline!

Much easier to distinguish whether a not a user is online or not- and, well, it's not distracting me one bit!

Congrats on the implementation, JC!

8. PoetJC

+5,327
    Which adjective? "large" LMAO -- I was truly trying to keep my mind out of the gutter, but sometimes it's just too difficult hahaha -- Anyway - thanks for the word of advice :p

Hey Mr Sandman! Thanks for the nod! I think it actually looks quite nice - If you decide to keep the animation = great! If you decide otherwise - then I at least appreciate the trial run ;)

Hey T - I think it looks nice as well - and I'm not distracted by it in the least - it is very subtle.

Yes! I agree - Thanks for posting Thomas ;)

Jacquii.

9. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I think SitePoint had something like this last year, I think it was them. I rarely login into my account there. :lol:

10. OrangeStu

OrangeStu Fan

+4
    I really like it, would love to see sample of the topic ones.

11. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+437
    I like it. I do agree that they should be smaller though.

12. Shelley

Shelley Coder/Designer

+767
    I blocked the user_online icon. The pulsating icons are annoying (nothing wrong with the design or animation) but over-sized animated dartboards ain't my thing.

13. PoetJC

+5,327
    LOL - I actually like 'em despite the large size...
    How did you block them though - is there a new setting that's been added?

Jacquii.

14. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    She's probably using some special extension for it. :)

15. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    I'm afraid I agree with Shelley - I haven't blocked them, but I don't like them. The design and animation is great, they're just too big for my tastes and annoying. The online image shouldn't be the first thing you look at when you go into a post, yet because of it sitting there pulsating, it is.

16. Dale369

Dale369 Coder/Designer

+2
    Your just being picky, it looks great how it is.

I spent 15 minutes trying to find out what you were on about.

17. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    I'm not being picky, I'm stating an opinion.

18. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Lee, I think he was addressing the thread itself, and not just you. :p

BTW, those with positive C+C replies have gotten rep. It's good to see people working together in a positive way. :)

19. Dale369

Dale369 Coder/Designer

+2
    Of course, yet in my opinion I think it's absolutely fine.

20. Caliope

Caliope 70's Fashion Icon

+410
    So, your being opinionated.....:hiding:

To be honest, I don't really notice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.