Sufficient Amount of Data Transfer? Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Meus, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Meus

Meus Neophyte

+0
    Hello,

I have found a host with abundant features, but my only concern at this point is sufficient data transfer limits.

My choices w/out going dedicated are:

400 GB data transfer (or)
    800 GB data transfer

This is for an IPB forum with approximately 1100 members. But, the kicker is that it has the Blog-plugin, which I've never dealt with before and I assume it will impact data transfer, enormously. Or, maybe not?

How many GB's of data transfer does a forum usually need with 1000+ very active members?

Thanks~

2. rouseindahouse

rouseindahouse Adherent

+0
    I wouldn't have thought you'd need even 400gb data transfer. I run a vbulletin forum with about 1000 posts a day and 5000 members and I've never used up more than 50gb in a month. That's with one hell of a lot of optimization though.

I'm pretty sure the blog plugin won't impact it hugely, it hasn't done with mine but as a general answer to your question you should be more than OK with 400gb.

3. Meus

Meus Neophyte

+0
    Rouseindahouse,

What do you think your transfer would be without the optimization? Double or triple your current usage?

Thanks~

4. rouseindahouse

rouseindahouse Adherent

+0
    Without it I wouldn't say more than double. It's all pretty simple stuff really, just making sure that you're using the right image formats, lowering the number of colours in gif files, using lower compression on jpgs, gzipping, caching, template compression and removing the stuff you don't need. Nothing you won't be able to achieve yourself.

The only thing that could really cause a raising of bandwidth is an incredibly active gallery, file downloads, videos or music. If it's a normal forum with journals, it shouldn't use up too much.

5. Bendo

Bendo Fan

+9
    If you do need 800GB xfer, then you need a dedicated server. There is no chance a shared server could push 800Gig of dynamicly generated content.

6. Brian Turner

Brian Turner Professional SEO

+0
    Personal experience is that standard forums can usually be hosted on a shared or reseller account without problem. :)

Unless you're multimedia rich, or have a large number of simultaneous users, then there's absolutely no requirement for a dedicated server for a server IMO.

7. rouseindahouse

rouseindahouse Adherent

+0
    Only up to a point though - mine are certainly too large for a shared account. My site (with only about 50 users avg. online at this point) was casuing huge loads and downtimes on the shared server I was on. Shared hosting is more than enough for new sites and probably enough for one with 1000 users but if you've got a lot of participation and users online, you'll need either a VPS or a dedicated server.

I know you pretty much said that, I just want to emphasise that 50 users online on average is more than enough to need to go to a VPS and I'd say about 125-200 avg. to go to a dedicated server.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted