Study - Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Tyler Cole, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Features

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Design

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Simplicity

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Speed

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Security

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Tyler Cole

Tyler Cole Neophyte

+0
    When your making your choice for which forum software you want to use, which one appeals to you must and makes the final decision (if every forum software was free in the world)?

Features - What the forums do. The more features, the less (if) moding (hacking) you must do.
    Design - How well the design incorporates with the functionality (the features). How well the design looks etc.
    Simplicity - How easy it is to change one operation, etc. May sacrifice the design looks, and lack of features.
    Speed - How fast your forum loads. May also sacrifice features and the design.
    Security - How well you can be trusted using your forums.

Also if you can reply to this thread, with your answer that would be excellent.

If every forum software in the world was free, what software would you choose? Why? What persuaded you to do this? More features, better design, simplicity (organized), speed and/or security?

Thanks for taking your time to answer this poll. It is just a study I am conducting. :) Thanks for your time!

2. phoenixdown21

phoenixdown21 The Man with the Plan

+43
    I dont think there is any one thing that would make me decide upon one forum software over another.

A few things I take into consideration is the development of the software, how well the forum is coded, the hacking community for add-ons, the scripting language and the backend db platform (ie: php/mysql or perl/mysql, etc).

3. Tyler Cole

Tyler Cole Neophyte

+0
    Thank you :). Does the features you take into consideration at all? Is there so thing as too many to you? Maybe just a few more then vB or less then phpBB? Can there be too many not enough?

4. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+111
    In order:

Security
    Features
    Design
    Speed
    Simplicity

5. gunkpots

gunkpots Got Spunk?

+4
    My priorities in forum software are fairly simple. It should be easy to use (for the end user), the db structure should be one I can use to integrate with other custom built software, and security needs to be good. Hence phpbb :)

6. Zachery

Zachery Moo

+18
    Yes, but all the big players do this fairly well. including vB and IPB as well, if not better than phpBB.

7. Tyler Cole

Tyler Cole Neophyte

+0
    Thank y'all. :banana: If you can answer the other question for the study also that would be great!

8. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Security
    Simplicity
    Design
    Speed
    Features

That's my order, from top to bottom in importance. That's for my current forum though, many "new" people to the forum game, not to mention to the internet too. So they need simplicity in a way that its easy to use, and not so much on features because they couldnt care less as long as they could post.

9. Zachery

Zachery Moo

+18
    For me.

Security
    Support
    Features
    Community
    Speed

10. If all were free I still think I'd stick with phpBB for the moment, the only time I might consider changing would be to VB if I ever got very big since I rather like the idea of the miserable users hack and tachy *laughs* for ease of keeping trolls and unwanted members under control.

11. WebForging

WebForging WebForging.com

+0
    Q: When looking for forum software, what attracts/decides the most?

Features
    Design
    Simplicity
    Speed
    Security

A: Yes

In relatively equal parts; none are worth much if any are missing.

Regards,
    Keith

12. jeter4982

jeter4982 SportsThunder.com

+0
    The order I would rank them would be:

Features
    Security
    Design
    Speed
    Simplicity

13. goaldrush

goaldrush Aspirant

+0
    Mate,

I look for the design. If it doesn't look that good I don't bother with it. The colours have to be right as well. I can't stand seeing forums with colours that clash on there or that are too bright.

If it runs badly then I won't go for it either.

14. cinq

cinq Adherent

+2
    When i first got into the game, in this priority :
    Usability, support, community, price.

As I learn more, in this priority :
    Security, design (of code structure not layout), speed, features.

15. mtrac

mtrac Enthusiast

+0
    I can't vote on this.

The last time I worried about BBS software was in FidoNet days, and I never did get around to setting up a board. When I selected VB, it was because two of my favorite forums, www.hvac-talk.com and www.johnbridge.com use it. I was so green, I didn't even know what software they ran and had to ask.

The main reason I went with VB over a free alternative is I figured I would need my hand held and was willing to pay for it. I also appreciate the vendor's concern about security, though I threw in the towel after 3.0.5 (except patches) because every time they released a fix I had to throw away Saturday morning reinstalling my hacks.

Things I like about VB: VERY well supported by mfr and community, feature-rich, stable, easy installation, customizable out the wazoo, and immense amount of free or cheap skins and hacks available. Also, I don't usually follow the crowd, but VB has something of a market presence and I'm proud to be part of it.

Things I don't like about VB: Setup is overwhelming for a first-time user. Could use more stock color schemes. Also, granted I have no graphic arts talent, but I find creating skins very difficult. It also seems to require more computer skills of my users than some other software.

If all software were free, I'd still use VB.

16. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Enthusiast

+0
    Features and security are very important. The rest need to be there in good measure.

17. Blaminator

Blaminator Too cool for school >

+1
    I agree

18. cinq

cinq Adherent

+2
    I beg to differ on both counts though.

How is entering a license number, and click 'Next step' buttons difficult for an installation ?
    :D

Creating skins is pretty much left to the individual's skill and/or graphic talent. Everything is templated, as in quite a few forum software. Graphics not included. Skins sold seperately :D

19. snowcrash

snowcrash loafing

+1
    From a non-admin perspective, having used a number of different forums (fora?), I think in the first instance usability (and simplicity) is key. Though having said that, while different, a phpbb and vB forum are both usable, but offer different features.

I support open source, so I like phpbb (and eagerly waiting for Olympus); if everything was free it would be vB :yup:

snowcrash

20. jeter4982

jeter4982 SportsThunder.com

+0
    Ya, I agree snowcrash. vBulletin is definitely better, but phpbb is free and open source. I like the fact that there are plenty of users out there for phpbb willing to help the beginners out, making mods as needed by the general public, and creating templates. The thing about vBulletin is that onces these mods or templates are created, they are normally not redistributed, or if they are, they are sold. In phpbb, they are often given out freely, as long as the copywrite stays on it. To me, I don't think vBulletin is worth the money for my forum, as it is still very small, but I may look into it in the future.

Tom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.