Struggling really hard to find a reason to go XF2

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Kentaurus, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+542
    Show me a site that does both, well, because I have yet to see it. Facebook/Twitter do one kind well, forums do the other kind well - no site I've ever seen legitimately does both *well*.

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,318
    That's basically what I'm waiting for. Well, that and 2 addons to be updated.

3. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+14
    Because with the original xenForo 1.1 we saw a few new features. 1.2 we saw a few more new features.

It's always been the pattern since vB3 for Team KMA. End of story.
    XF2.0 was never designed to bring new features in the scale of 1.2. As for PHP7.2, they said not only "optional" features, they also said speed improvements. I recently moved my PHP level from 5.6, all the way up to 7.2, so I am completely ready for this "option" or "optional" features. However, as of right now, I see some speed improvements where I never saw before with XF1 or PHP5.x.

Now, onto the topic of this thread: I can tell you new features off the bat from upgrading to XF2.

- More embed options. In fact, Twitter/Facebook/Instagram embeds ships with XF2 right out of the box.
    - Better moderation options.
    - "Quick" Box? (Don't know what to call it.)
    BO4FQuickReply.png
    - "Quick" Threads (It's right there on main forum view), quick thread start on forum view.

That's just user-facing. Everything else is under the ACP hood.

- The ability to add navigation (breadcrumb) links or items. <- Most requested feature in XF1.
    - The ability to add widgets anywhere, including sidebars. <- Another requested feature in XF1.

But both of these would have required re-write of the software itself. In XF1 it required either a plugin, or template update - however, upgrading xenForo was a pain in some aspects, like re-adding the template over and over again for the same code. For EACH upgrade. *sigh* I can't begin to tell you how much adding widgets saved me time.

In fact, I find the styling system to be sooooo robust. Seriously. In the past, with XF1, to get something done, I'd have to find the style property to do exactly what I want. And if it's not there, the coder or the designer would have to make a new style property to make it happen. Or template update, however it used it work. Now? I could just go into style property, and click some options, and get it done.

To get opacity for example, you had to edit your CSS "area" (looks like a box, okay?) Now, to get opacity, you would have to go to the particular container, find the color, and scroll the hue. Simple. I was mindblown when I did it. Mind. blown.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Pete

+542
    What does it do differently to this forum, for example? I just tried it on my test site and I can't see what it does that's any quicker than here. It is a step up from the clunky 'hit post, be redirected' quick reply on lesser platforms for sure.

5. Destroy Repeat

+14
    That's a plugin. Quick thread on this board is a plugin. Plugin. In xenForo 2 it's part of the package. No plugin required. When you click a forum, the thread start is staring at you in two places.

BO4FQuickReply.png

If you installed XF1, you can't get quick thread until you make a plugin, or find a plugin to do the same behavior.

6. Pete

+542
    Uh... quick reply isn't a new thing in 2.0, seeing how my 1.x unmodded test site has it.

Quick *thread* I'll give you, though.

7. Destroy Repeat

+14
    BO4FQuickReplyHOME.png

*sighs really hard* You know what. Go ahead, disagree. Just keep disagreeing. *hands up* I give up with this guy.

EDIT: I wasn't talking about quick replies as in the box below posts. I was talking about that lil box that shows up on forum view. I don't really know what to call it. There's two different kinds of "Quick Threads."

But, I digress, keep disagreeing.

8. Pete

+542
    What's to disagree? You make two points, I call you on the first one because I don't understand what you mean, and you seem to be under the impression I'm talking about the second... you even give me screenshots of the second one, which I explicitly said I agreed with as a new thing in XF2...

If you're going to say "quick reply" I assume you're talking about a box where one can reply to a topic! If you mean something else, say so!

9. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Enthusiast

+92
    If you are struggling, then wait for 2.1 and decide.

Honestly, all my hope is that they blow our minds off with 2.1 but my mind says it will be a disappointment. We'll see. Benefit of the doubt is with them but I can't be too optimistic.

10. Destroy Repeat

+14
    Okay then, I guess I will have to edit my original post. *sigh*

The reason why I called it "Quick" replies - is because mobile users treat making a new thread as a new reply. If you can believe that. *annoyed face* Sooo, that box is great, I like it, but on mobile apps, that little pencil icon on Tapatalk is abused so much its treated like a new reply. *facepalm*

I was more confused than anything, really.

I imagine that "Quick BOX" to be treated the same way once my site starts having that upward trend. *Evil look*

11. Pete

+542
    Ohhh, now I understand what you mean, a button to make threads from anywhere, and a quick form to make a new topic without having to go to a new page. Thank you for explaining through your shoving images at me rather than using words (unfortunately, when you say words, I understand only the words that are posted because I don't have the mind-reading plugin installed)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  12. Destroy Repeat

+14
    Now, we're getting somewhere.

So, to reiterate what I said before:

"Post New Thread" on main forum page was never in the original XF... ("Quick" Thread) Also, "New Posts" is made prominent so users don't have to look for new posts buried in nav.
    BO4FQuickReplyHOME.png

"Quick* Box/Form in Forum View is new.
    BO4FQuickReply.png

13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,396
    You mean like this (I'm assuming you are referring to opacity for colors)

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 3.00.25 PM.png

Present in 1.X line and all you do is select the A and give it a decimal designator of .1->.9 (typically) and it will apply opacity to the color.

Learn what the item is called before you make a statement that it's a "new" feature. Quick Replies has been around for a long time as default in XenForo. In fact it has been around for a long time in most forum scripts of any quality.
    What you are calling "quick thread" has not been a default part of XenForo until the 2.x line.

Until you use correct terminology most people will disagree as they are talking about "A" and you are talking about something only YOU know what is.... since the terminology used by you is not that typically used.

14. Destroy Repeat

+14
    See, I didn't know that. All I was told, was to add opacity into CSS box in the style property. You were there when Shelly was giving me pointers!

So, now I know there were TWO ways to get opacity in XF1. Thank you! *press like*
    Yes, I know. :hopeless:

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,312
    Let's get back to the original topic at hand.

I've cleaned up the thread.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  16. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+62
    Is there any stats on the number of existing 1.x sites that have upgraded to 2.0?

17. Kentaurus

Kentaurus Adherent

+28
    Digitalpoint has a cookie crawler with stats
    https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search

15% adoption after 6 months I guess. Not too hot.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 8.26.54 PM.png

18. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,396
    Realize that many have not upgraded due to 2 major add-ons that have not ported to XF 2.X yet. Bob's Showcase and AMS are in use by a lot of sites and are an integral part.

19. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,843
    Many didn't even heard about them.

20. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+170
    Some (myself) don't like to jump in at version x.0.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.