Stoping private messages new members spam

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by PeterPride, Apr 20, 2017.

1. PeterPride

PeterPride Neophyte

+1
    Hello,
    I own a xenforo forum where someone (not a bot) its having fun sending private messages spam to new forum register members.
    I have had disable the option to members see new members tab, i also disabled the option to spammer seeing the new member name by modifying the profiles user ID on address bar making they get directed to index page when they try that.
    But some how the spammer found a new way to see new members names.

What im missing here? How he its finding out new members name? And how to block that?
    This its very stressful, any help i appreciate!

2. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,639
    Do you have a minimum posts requirement for sending PMs?

3. PeterPride

PeterPride Neophyte

+1
    Not now but i have had before and didnt stop them. If i knew how they are able to see new members names its the best.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    Make a new usergroup all inherent then set pm to "no" put the user in that new usergroup he will not be able to send any pm's.

5. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,083
    I never understood why something like this isn't built into the core of forum software as an option.

6. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,639
    Minimum posts to PM? If I recall correctly, there was at least one software that did have it built in as an option. But it's been so long since I've seen the ACP in any of them that I couldn't tell you which it was - I honestly thought it was XenForo, but it might have been WBB or IPB or something else entirely.

7. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+66
    Ban him.

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    Perhaps he's a staff member(Mod, admin).

9. diadi

diadi Enthusiast

+67
    Do you have rules stating that spam will not be tolerated?

Ban him.

Staff sending spam after being told by an admin to knock it off? Ban him too.

10. PeterPride

PeterPride Neophyte

+1
    I ban but making a new register is fast so he does new users very fast. Some days i stay all afternoon doing bans to the same spammer using different names.
    I don't believe any of the 2 mods are helping him. Both hate the guy.
    I really have no idea how he knows new users names...

11. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+145
    What's you site out of interest - if you don't mind us knowing.

12. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    Set your registered usergroup to not be able to start conversations.
    Create a new usergroup called 'Established' users. Set it's permissions to allow starting conversations
    Set an usergroup promotion into 'Established' users after x number of days and minimum x posts. I have mine set to 3 days *and* 2 posts.

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    The addon stophumanspam works great for this purpose.

14. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+196
    The best way to deal with this, but I'd go more for 10 posts or something. If you have fairly active moderation then a low number could work but I am thinking of a spammer making some posts, getting the promotion, and then hassling your members before someone on your staff can take care of them.

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    Spammers will just wait a month or more before using a accounts. They can give their other accounts likes in the mean time.
    Then go on a posting spree and surpass low posting limits.

16. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    *Will*, or *might*.
    In my experience, with above settings, they *very rarely* come back once they see they cannot spam straight away.

17. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    My experience was the same, but it has changed.
    We notice a clear change of strategy since the new xrumer is out. They mass register a number of accounts with fresh IPs (not blacklisted) on various websites, and after some time when enough accounts have been created with those IPs they go on a spamming spree. Spammers used to start right away. That's much less the case now. At least what I am seeing.

We also see spammers posting copied posts from other sites as replies to existing threads. Then quite some time later they come back to edit their spam links in.I have seen this on various sites lately.

18. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    I saw them replying in threads: "Very useful post"

19. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+196
    This is all fair enough for regular spam, and yes that requires quite a bit more to reduce instances of it but in the case of the topic title itself: the removing of messaging ability until a certain target is met will usually work well enough. :)

20. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+145
    They'll have a hard time on our sites. 10 minute edit time for regular members. Subscribers get 30 minutes. Unlimited edit has led to some petulant removal of content or rendered replies in a thread irrelevant &/or confusing..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted