Stop spammers from PMs

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Floorist, May 4, 2012.

1. Floorist

Floorist Participant

+0
    I notice that even banned spammers can send PMs. Any way to stop it other than delete the user. I know I can delete the PMs. But need a way to stop spammers from sending them.

2. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    Check the permission for your banned usergroup.

Setting everything to either 'No' or '0' should stop them using the system.

3. Taylor

Taylor Sexier Than You

+141
    There are also add-ons to limit PM usage until user has made X number of posts.

4. Floorist

Floorist Participant

+0
    Thanks, that is what I suggested to the owner. He is looking for a plug-in. I was just surprised that although I can delete all their PMs from their profile, I can't stop them from sending them there.

5. PoetJC

PoetJC [* Jacq Of All Trades *]

+2,416
    Cyb - Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count for vB 3.8.x
    VSa - Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count for vB 4.x

HTH ;)

J.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BHH

BHH Enthusiast

+3
    I deleted them directly from the database when it happened to me.

What I do now is restrict new users and when they reached say 5 posts + 1 day they get "promoted" to regular users where they have less restrictions.

7. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman The Motormouth

+1,156
    Banned members should not have access to PMs, you need to adjust your permissions or check to see if a modification or customization is causing an issue!

8. Mugzy

Mugzy Vbulletin Expert

+18
    Set it up so member cannot send pm's until they make 10 posts.

9. gazum

gazum Aspirant

+2
    You do not really need any plugins for this. Just give minimal permissions to Registered users group. Let them post, but don't allow to do anything else. You can direct their posts to moderation queue, if you want to.

Create another group for trusted users. It is up to you how to call this group. Let's say, "Acknowledged Users". The majority of your forum members will be in this group, so give them regular permissions. Allow them to send PMs.

Then you can either promote users manually from one group into another after they write something meaningful, or you can create a rule and do it automatically. Read about usergroup promotions in vBulletin manual to find out how to do it.

10. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Bayerische Motoren Werke

+180

LOL don't you think that's just a tad overkill?

11. Medora

Medora The New Architect

+93
    When dealing with spammers? NEVER!

12. Johno1942

Johno1942 Neophyte

+0
    We have two levels of banned members.

Banned allowing PM (if the person is banned needs to be allowed to communicate) and Banned no PM for spammers and where the individual is to be cut away totally.

13. BHH

BHH Enthusiast

+3
    I kill my spammers. I have a "newbie" usergroup that is the default. They can't leave VMs, PMs, or have sigs. Once they reached 3 posts they get promoted to a less restrictive usergroup. Works great for me.

14. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Tazmanian

+35
    Create a new group for your approved members.
    Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Add New Usergroup
    At the top it says "Create Usergroup Based off of Usergroup" in the dropdown choose Registered Usergroup and then click Go if necessary.

The page will reload.

At the top it will say "Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup". Choose Registered here. If you have no custom permissions for the registered usergroup or it says none, just click the save button.

You can change the name and description if you want.

Setup a new Usergroup Promotion.
    Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions
    Use these settings, where X is the number of approved posts that are required:

Usergroup - Registered Users
    Reputation Comparison Type - Greater or Equal to
    Reputation Level - 0
    Days Registered - 0
    Posts - X
    Promotion Strategy - Posts
    Promotion Type - Primary Usergroup
    Move User to Usergroup - the group you created for approved members

Run the scheduled task for Usergroup Promotions.
    Admin CP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Scheduled Task Manager
    Click the "Run Now" button to the right of the Usergroup Promotions task.

Finally remove you need to adjust the permissions of the Registered Usergroup so their posts and threads are moderated. Go to the Usergroup Manager and edit the registered usergroup.
    Admin CP -> Usergroup Manager -> Registered Usergroup -> Edit Usergroup -> Go.
    Set restrictive permissions as needed.

Click the SAVE button at the bottom of the form.

If they spam and you delete their messages, they never get promoted. Move them to a banned group after that.

15. Marc Smith

Marc Smith The Old Geezer

+10
  16. PoetJC

PoetJC [* Jacq Of All Trades *]

+2,416
    Ditto that! It's why I prefer the cyb mod over creating new usergroups and having to customize settings :)

J.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted