Stealing graphics

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Leskiepie, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Leskiepie

Leskiepie Participant

+0
    I have generally made my own up as I've learned how, but lately I've found the art of stealing much better for the overall look of the board.

How do you folks feel about this? I'm generally stealing just "basics"...nothing that looks homemade. Stuff that is out there already probably.

2. patriotcow

patriotcow Fan

+3
    Omgzzzz ripper zipper!

No I think its bad, thou shall not steal! your going to hell sorry. Meet you there ;)

3. Ted S

Ted S Tazmanian Master

+22
    Leskiepie,
    Are you aware that taking other people's images for use on your site is copyright theft and a violation of numerous copyright laws which can carey fines of over $250,000 PER INSTANCE? I would highly suggest you remove all copied images unless you have reason to believe they are not copyrighted (such as a collection of royalty free smiles which you purchased).

4. Giray

Giray Aspirant

+0
    Just ask. If someone asked me to use one of my icons, for example, I might very well consider it. Obviously, if someone asks to use on of our trademarked items I would say no. But doing it without asking is, I believe, the unfortunate side of an open system. :tisk:

5. Moparx

Moparx GNU/Linux Inside

+2
    its not a good idea..
    you can get hit with a DMCA notice from the owner of the graphics (if they are copyrighted works and not public domain), which could result in the loss of your site if you ignore it.

6. Shelley

Shelley Cahooter!

+801
    I find anyone stealing any of my graphics gets a nice e-mail to their ISP and/or host. In my books stealing is stealing. Think about this, The person you stole that graphic would probably have worked for hours on that graphic which only took you a minute to steal.

I find that asking the author (not that i would need to as i design all my own stuff) is the safest bet. If not for yourself, definetely for your site because you risk it being closed or being kicked by your host.

Happy Stealing.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Crankshaft Coalition

+3
    Like Ted said -- it's against the law. And, you'd be committing an even greater crime than copyright violation: unoriginality ;)!

Creating graphics is an "art", not stealing them.

8. Leskiepie

Leskiepie Participant

+0
    well...good artists copy, great artists steal right? kidding!

I should have been more clear, I'm mostly stealing emotes and "new thread/post" and other things that are all over the net. I'm not stealing "home made art" as I would feel bad if caught, I didn't think about the laws and all that.

I've seen tons of mb's that have the same schtick all over. :chicken:

9. Ted S

Ted S Tazmanian Master

+22
    That's still a copyright violation, still illegal and still can carry fines of hundreds of thousands of dollars per image. The fact that you have admitted it so openly and plainly would make it about impossible to put up any defense. My advice is to take down those images immediately and seek professional legal advice as you are knowingly breaching copyrights.

10. MGM

MGM vBulletin Guru

+7
    Don't steal dude. Learn to use Photoshop and create your own images. You can even base them on other images you've seen. But dont outright steal them...

MGM out

11. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+110
    Better yet, pay a graphics person to create images for you or ASK.

You'll find that once you've done this, especially if you paid it, won't seem like such a cool idea when someone steals yours ;)

12. patriotcow

patriotcow Fan

+3
    Or find free skins, theres plenty out there!

13. Lursa

Lursa Aspirant

+0
    I get my graphics from freeware sites. If in doubt, I simply ask people. Most are pleasantly surprised, feel flattered and are a lot more willing to give you their graphics than you would expect. Except for one single case I was always granted use of their images.
    Also, it never harms to post a link next to a pic saying "with friendly permision from XYZ.com".This way both sites profit.

I never link to borrowed pics directly but always copy them onto my own webspace. Firstly, my server has not been down for a minute in the past 3 years (a fact that sadly is somewhat rare in the net), and secondly it'd be unfair to steal someone's bandwidth by linking to them.

14. Chit_n_Chat

Chit_n_Chat Habitué

+2
    Stealing graphics is definatly wrong, even if it's only the basic idea you steal! If you have any stolen graphics on your site you should remove them

15. PriMaL

PriMaL Enthusiast

+0
    Grab some photoshop tutorials and create your own stuff. You get +1 point for being original and people like that.

16. Xabre

Xabre Aspirant

+0
    Well, i personally like vBulletin's default graphic very much, including the grads and icons. I am also fond of phpBB's default button, and i like Invision's layout.

I'm using Invison Board. I combined them all. I use grads from vB (i review them, then i make it on my own version using Corel and optimize them with Photoshop). I use phpBB's button (i review them, then i make it on my own version using Corel and optimize them with Photoshop). I use the default Invision layout and hacked it a bit. In fact, all of the buttons and graphics idea does not come originally from my mind. I took other's idea, and i make it on my own, with my creativity and inspiration. Is it piracy? Please tell me.

Thx.

A bit... i believe grads are not copyrighted, because everyone can make them easily.

17. PriMaL

PriMaL Enthusiast

+0
    Problem is most people will leave your board almost instantenely when they check out your default skin board (such as myself).

The first impression is the more important one and if you can´t seduce the viewer in ~20 secs, chances are you probably lost a member for ever, and it might be a damn good one.

18. Xabre

Xabre Aspirant

+0
    Err... i don't get what you mean.
    That skin is not IPB's default. It's almost the same as vB's, but i modified them. And that's the skin which received most votes from my members.

19. CrustyGeek

CrustyGeek GirlieGeek

+1
    I do believe that VB's images are copyrighted and cannot be used on non-VBulletin boards.

So - looks like your breaking copyright there.

20. Xabre

Xabre Aspirant

+0
    Right. I'll remove them in no time and replace it with new one. Thanks for the advice.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted