Starting free forum with proboards

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by Mila, Apr 7, 2009.

1. earlybird

earlybird Enthusiast

+5
    I use proboards. The software is easy to use, and there's a great support forum.

2. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+733
    I hate their themes though. :(

3. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    You can heavily customise the theme to anything of your own liking.

4. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    To be fair, that's not always a positive. After all, you can customise ANY software to your liking in theory. Heck, you could even modify vBulletin 5's look to make it look like a good script like XenForo or IPB. The fact the default theme isn't great is something a forum developer does need to address.

5. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    And that's my point exactly, why does it matter what the default theme looks like when you can change the look to anything you like? Does this forum use the horrible boxy and now dated vBulletin 3 default theme, no. It's a bonus if the forum software comes with a "good default theme" you can stick with quite happily, like XenForo does. But ain't the end of world if it doesn't

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. InspiredSCIForum

InspiredSCIForum Neophyte

+0
    I find ProBoards highly customizable and easy to use! If anyone's intrested, you can check out my ProBoards forum here - http://inspiredsciforum.com

7. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Nice looking forum - one of the better ProBoards I've seen.
    Welcome to TAZ :)

J.

8. meetdilip

+733
    I just don't like those board icons in Proboards. Can we change them ?

PS : Your forum looks good.

9. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Probably the most easiest thing to change would be the board icons.
    I was thinking similar actually - but then thought that the folder icons seems like the patients' chart or something. So it kinda fits... Perhaps a clipboard with the handicap symbol would be a better fit.

10. meetdilip

+733
    Certainly.

11. WidespreadForums_com

WidespreadForums_com Participant

+1
    I suggest you come up with the little bit of money necessary and get your own forum software installed on your own shared hosting. I tried to go your way once before and if/when things get going well for you, you will regret it. You can't ever move to another forum software, have very limited options in what you can and can't do. It also just looks unprofessional in my honest opinion.

12. meetdilip

+733
    I think free hosted forums are best suited to learn how to run a forum. But you are gonna regret that if it becomes a success. ;)

13. Darth_Apple

Darth_Apple Adherent

+24
    Have you considered icyboards? Icyboards allows $20 database exports, so if your forum becomes successful, you won't be left with regrets trying to figure out how to move your forum to professional hosting.

14. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Ditto, when it comes to proboards it serves no more than this purposes, although for some admins it can be a valuable experience. I wont say the other free forums are all the same, but such cases are rare.

15. microlabs

microlabs Neophyte

+1
    Got to know a lot from you all.. thank you for such discussion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.