Starting a new forum...what's new?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Illumi, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Illumi

Illumi Ambitious dazzlement

+4
    Thinking about getting back into the forum game after being out of it for 7 years. Wanting to start a community and have considered Facebook Groups - but the lack of control and real ownership is a deal breaker.

What's the go-to and recommended software nowadays? Is it still XenForo?

2. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Coincidentally, after I walked away from forums and sold my stakes, I find myself being drawn back into the foray of forums. I'm toying with the idea at this point, but not confident if I want to put in the effort. XenForo seems to be the gold standard as of now, but honestly, vBulletin nowadays doesn't look bad. Have you tried doing any research into your selected niche(s) to see what they use and what you may give you an edge if you used something else or could address a problem with those sites?

3. Jason5

Jason5 Adherent

+49
    I think your requirement in the forum will surely help you to filter the forum software. Xenforo has most of the area covered (plugin, theme, support, SEO, Like, Notification, Mentions etc.)

4. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+252
    General consensus seems to be that you get what you pay for (ie. paid is better than free in terms of features, support and the all important continual evolution of the product) with the two good platforms being IPB and Xenforo. Each has its fanbase here. Some people like vBulletin too :rolleyes:

Very hard to get a forum going and keep it going these days. You don't need to go back far in any of the showcase forums to find dead links for those that didn't make it. You'll need a good idea, a gap in the market and lots of enthusiasm.

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    Is your audience young enough they browse mainly on mobile and didnt experience classic forms's golden era? If so, any modern script like nodebb and vanilla will do, they all look the same on a smartphone's screen.

Otherwise, if desktop users and powerusers are your main target audience, you couldnt go wrong with either XF or Woltlab if you'd rather have the safety of priority tech support. XF is more mainstream, Woltlab has a lower total cost of ownership for equivalent features, is easier to manage and you dont need to pay extra annually for ticket support and security updates.

6. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Generally, many forums have a preset amount of life before they fizz out. The few forums that succeed do so because of recurrence in that niche. In other words, a forum about a game or series of games that get the axe won't ever do as well as a forum for a particular sport and leagues of that sport, a survivalist forum, or a weapons forum.

There's this one particular forum on the web that's mainly UK focused. It'll never die off, IMO. And sometimes it makes the news, like some dummy thinking dinosaurs were a fad item in history. Best described as TOWIE in print format.

7. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    Just updated to XF2 and got back into forums myself.

I am amazed at how awesome XF2 is. I realllly like what they did.

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,448
    I'd say for a commercial product it currently offers the best solution for your money, especially if you are starting from scratch.

9. overcast

overcast Adherent

+70
    I think Discourse, Flarum type formats are also good. If you like old Usenet type formats, then spectrum chat is another option. I love discourse like interface for forum these days. Modern and also makes people post comment instead of old forum designs where people hardly wish to even join.

10. louisaclark

louisaclark Neophyte

+0
    In Facebook groups, you are bound to one group for a specific topic, but forums are diverse; a whole community with users of all kinds and backgrounds interacting with each other on all kinds of topics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.