Start with free or paid forum software?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Jason5, Jun 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,023
    XF, WoltLab, IPS are not open source but the code is visible.

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    Most of Woltlab's code is actually opensource. The WCF framework in fact usable as is for a website and your own addons even if you dont purchase Woltlab's official apps.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+115
    That is very interesting, good to see.

I see a lot of XML. Huh, fascinating. I'll have to pore through that later.

4. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+9
    I started a project a few months ago and I used Smf for it. The project went dead btw. I started a new one a couple of weeks ago using Smf again and it is going good so far. If it keeps growing, I will switch to a paid forum in the near future, Ipb.

5. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Enthusiast

+79
    What would be the reason for the switch? ips_dougips_doug

6. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+9
    The reason is that Ipb has a lot more features and options out of the box.

7. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+33
    Vanilla also has the open source version. So for anyone who likes simple easy to navigate forum, it can be one good choice.

8. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,176
    Free: Vanilla

Paid: XF

I have difficulty recommending either vBulletin or IP.Board these days, and the latter was my favorite for nearly a decade.

9. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    You're not the only one feeling similarly. Unless you're running a board that once depended on niche features from oldschool scripts, modern software is a more interesting option for forums to focus on communication and purge distractions. Boards look pretty much the same on small mobile displays, so its difficult justifying a pricetag for an experience you're not exploiting optimally as a webmaster.

10. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,166
    What changed with IP.B to remove it from being your "fav for a decade"?

You agree with "having difficulty recommending the latter" - which was Invision Community?

Also curious on your thoughts? You also mention "modern software"... It's my personal opinion that Invision Community has done more to push what a forum script can do than anybody, ESPECIALLY with the 4.x line.

Just curious is all.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.