Spam email - @mail.ru

touristguy87

Neophyte
...jeez, what a frickin bunch of idiots.

"The Admin Zone Forums is a place where it's okay to be yourself as long as you always act with respect for your fellow members as well as the Admin Zone staff."

...would that still hold if you guys were a bunch of cannibalistic child-molesters?

Yes or no?

So why does it hold when you're a bunch of freaking idiots? Not to mention highly-incompetent and apparently quite ignorant administrators?

And it rightfully will not from now until the moment that one of you in a fit of pique deletes this message.

Look. You don't ban an entire freaking TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN because of some spam. Would you ban .com because of some spam from a .com address? Maybe .net and .org should go too huh, all in the goal of keeping spam from your precious forums?

And what happens when someone spoofs your own email address?

Googleflash! YOUR ADDRESS is the address used by a known spammer!

Think about it, dip****s!
You think that can't happen? You think that isn't happening?!?

Just think of how many people you are banning by banning all of .ru or even all of .mail.ru (not to mention because they "SHOULD" use an ISP-issued address!!! what frigging idiocy!!! who the hell made that rule for the Internet?!?)

whatever. I can no longer speak to people of such low intelligence. Freaking forum trolls.

Why don't you go ban yourselves from your own forum? You'd do a LOT MORE GOOD!

Caliope

70's Fashion Icon
I think touristguy has made some interesting points, but they may have been better made without the vitriol.

The mod who deletes the post loses....

Vilandra

Banshee
I'm pretty sure I did block @mail.ru but I feel like the benefit of blocking out the cascades of spammers I had from that address outweighed the member with only that email address that I might have lost. At the time I blocked email domains, I didn't have any legit members from that one, so it's a calculated risk.

:)

Rockatteer

Devotee
Look. You don't ban an entire freaking TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN because of some spam.
well if you knew anything about what you where talking about you would know that @mail.ru accounts are more often than not spam accounts, so it's more than just some spam

If you go look up some of the available administration tools which are online, which I'm sure you'll find eventually, if your a serious administrator, you'll see that for yourself.

The simple fact is, almost no-one has ever had a legitimate active member sign up using a mail.ru account.

So perhaps before you come in here arrogantly assuming you know everything, you might want to do some research and make sure you do actually know something.

motokochan

Habitué
well if you knew anything about what you where talking about you would know that @mail.ru accounts are more often than not spam accounts, so it's more than just some spam

Actually, I can honestly say i see more spam from the major free providers than from mail.ru anymore, but I understand your point. The problem with banning the major providers is that they have a lot of people using them to legitimately register accounts. With mail.ru, the number of people doing the same on an English-language community is vanishingly small. Of course, if your community is targeted towards the nations that were part of the Soviet Republic, you might weigh things differently. In those cases, you might want to ban the generic domains of the free providers.

maksim

Serial Entrepreneur
I have banned all @mail.ru emails. most the spammers came from that, or fake gmail accounts. I cant ban gmail, but often see email.com, tmail.com etc... all fakes.

mail.ru is a legit email provider, and largest in russia, however my site doesnt catter to them, so I dont.

trust me, do a lookup of all the spammers, most if not all are from:

russia
ukraine
latvia
British Virgin Islands
Germany

Vilandra

Banshee
I've been getting a lot of gmail spammers recently - maybe they're catching on lol

PKB

Participant
U know what I get a lot of spammers that sign up from that email @mail.ru is it a free email service?

Rockatteer

Devotee
This is what they say about themselves.

Mail.Ru - the main communication portal of Russian Internet. Its monthly audience of more than 50 million unique visitors.

Mail.Ru occupies a leading position amongst free webmail services, providing its users with a mailbox of unlimited size with protection from spam and viruses, translator, spell checker Archives to store photos, and more. After the mailboxes Mail.Ru daily for more than 35 million letters.

Mail.Ru - is not just the postal service, but more than 40 online services. Among them, the social network My Mir@Mail.Ru with more than 40 million registered profiles, the largest Russian fotohosting Foto@Mail.Ru, users who store some 490 million photos, projects Video@Mail.Ru, Blogi@Mail.Ru, Igry@Mail.Ru, Poisk@Mail.Ru, Avto@Mail.Ru, Nedvizhimost@Mail.Ru, Puteshestviya@Mail.Ru and many others.

I laughed out load when I read the bit about spam protection.

Last edited:

Ted

Aspirant
Oh yes, I’ve noticed a lot of mail.ru addresses in the past. I had chosen to ban all mail.ru (and .info addresses, there's another one that comes up a lot on bad Captchas) because I don’t expect people to use email addresses with those domains; even Russians would often just use a Gmail, Hotmail or similar account. In the case of an exception, there's always the chance for a quick email; it’s inconvenient, but only mildly so. It only happens on a small community I admin, so it’s hardly the worst thing I could do.

I have not experienced spam accounts getting through since I've started using phpBB3.

Last edited:
I've blocked mail.ru addresses (plus hundreds of other domains of free Russian and Ukrainian email providers) for the past couple of years.

In my experience, on English language sites, legitimate Russian users use email address from their paid ISP, or their school or workplace; not mail.ru, in-mail.net, inbox.ru and the rest.