Sorry, there are no new posts to view.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Digital Doctor, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,803
    Went to a new forum (obviously I'm not registered)
    upload_2017-9-13_8-47-28.png

I guess the forum must not be very popular.

<sad emoji>

There was a time when Xenforo did the same. I actively campaigned to fix it.
    Maybe it still does exist ? I know there is an addon that avoids this message.

When I click New Posts

upload_2017-9-13_8-51-12.png

and I get no new posts .... how much sense does that make ?

every post on the *ENTIRE* forum is new to me.

Does anyone think guests should be treated this way ?

I shouldn't have to click "here". There is no value at all for displaying this message to guests.
    What purpose does it serve ?

Unregistered guests are your potential future members.
    Treat them with respect.

I'm not singling out this vB site. Most seem to do this.

On this site, I was unable to tell what the site was about. I looked for an About Page, didn't see one.
    Is this a SEO site ? What is local search ? Is it a competitor to Google ? Threadloom ?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,937
    Considering there is no effective way to track what would be "new" for guests (other than a cookie, which many block receipt thereof) it's not that big of a deal. Honestly, it should show ALL posts to the guest or not be present at all (which is what I think you are trying to infer).

3. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,587
    On a default VB3 or VB4 forum "New Posts" isn't shown to unregistered users. Only Today's Posts.

4. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+441
    I know what you mean and I've often thought this way myself when seeing other forums and getting that message
    it's not a very good "pitch' for someone new to see what you have for sale, get engaged and become a consumer

:(

gogo

5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,475
    As noted.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make other than you dont agree with the way the owner of this forum has set it up, which isnt a vbulletin issue.

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,175
    Well if vBulletin does not know who is looking at a forum it cant know what is new, so that is as expected. You'll need at least a cookie so vBulletin knows something about the person, so that works as it should. You can maybe make a system that if not regitered or set cookie you'll get another notice but that's a lot of work to do and you'll need to check 2 settings so i dont think its a great idea to do. So in this case vBulletin does it right just a general notice.

7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,587
    vBulletin does it right by not showing a "New Posts" option to anyone not logged in to begin with. The admin of the forum in question simply didn't realize why New Posts are not usually visible to everyone, or perhaps doesn't realize it is visible due to changes they made.

Posting on the forum informing them would be more useful than posting about it here.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,588
    Wouldn’t New Topics be considered the same?
    48F9AB43-4B8B-4AD4-AE9C-7427810FF35B.jpeg
    C87A7B28-8EBD-494B-812B-A9EA0B0FFAAB.png

9. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,587
    Not exactly the same as Topics are equivalent to Threads and not posts, but the same as being useless, yes.

And still a default VB5 forum does not show New Topics to users not logged in:

ai.imgur.com_aqXJ4CZ.png_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.png

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,588
    vB.com isn't default?

11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,587
    No. It has a Home tab to go to vb sales page, it has a Tracker tab for JIRA, they try to keep it as close to default as possible but it requires some minimal customizing. Why New Topics is visible I can only speculate, but I'll raise a JIRA about it now that it has been pointed out- thank you.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  12. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,475
    Nope. It has a number of extensions & plugins running, as well as some style and navbar customisations.

Search is Sphinx, which isnt default either.

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,587
    FYI, "New Topics" has been hidden from unregistered users on vBulletin.com as it should be (and is by default.) Thank you.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted