Some owners really are control freaks

Docpixel

Habitué
I have a little story from my morning.

I'm on LinkedIn, and was a member of a Photoshop group. I started a topic about the unemployed among us pooling our skills and resources into a freelance co-op and the response was HUGE. Over 50 responses from people eager to take part and build a group. It took on a life of its own.

It was obvious to me that a linkedin discussion group was inadequate to handle the nuts and bolts of actually executing the plan to build a co-op, so I offered to build a forum to make it easier to get everything organized and moving forward.

But the group owner took exception to that. He wanted everyone to stay right there on LinkedIn and talk about it, so he was opposed to a separate forum. And he bounced me from the group with no warning.

So I'm just pissed. If it was a regular forum, I'd agree with his right to do that and I'd just leave. But he's just a group owner on a large social network. And I wouldn't care, except that in this case, there is a large amount of very enthusiastic people and he's blocking the project from moving forward. A string of public comments is hopelessly inadequate for managing an actual project, because at some point there are nuts and bolts events that have to happen. I'm really annoyed.

:rant2:

JakeMac

Participant
Can't you gain access to his email address and send him a message?

Do you have any contact with any of the other 50 members or not?

I think it's kind of out of your control. Yeah the guy was a bit power hungry but that's just the way some people are. He's wrong to do that and I disagree with it but there isn't much you can do :(

Mythotical

Habitué
I have to say that I can see why he did it. Fear of losing members but in a way I can see how it is controlling. He should let it happen as LinkedIn is not a forum from what I can see therefore he really wouldn't lose members. Its a social group, I'm sure they will still be there for social purposes but at the same time join you on your new forum. So in last word, I will have to say I'm behind you for thinking he's controlling, especially not giving warning or even trying to talk to you about it privately.

Docpixel

Habitué
Yep, Mythotical, LinkedIn is about people connecting up with others for mutually beneficial purposes, so I think he really overstepped. In fact, it's a lot like someone trying to prevent a separate link on a Facebook group.

In fact, he deleted the entire discussion, poof gone.

I've asked him to reinstate me, but he's ignoring me. I've reported it to LI, too. Doubt they'll do anything, but at least they'll know.

Now I'm going to start my own group and try and reach the same people again.

Thanks, guys.

Roxy_Chick

Participant
Poor you! Couldn't he have just set up a new forum solely for that discussion and project? He could have deleted it after if needed.

Some people are control freaks, but I'm sure if you can contact one member they can spread the word for you.

LIRacing.net

www.StructuralNet.com
Try to get in with another account maybe? Even though he did delete the thread, that is a shame he did that.

Docpixel

Habitué
Well, Roxy, I'm hoping they'll find the new group I created. Several have tracked me down so far. :)

LIR, that won't work on LinkedIn, just because it's business networking and one creates an entire profile there. Good thought, though, thanks.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
I have a little story from my morning.

I'm on LinkedIn, and was a member of a Photoshop group. I started a topic about the unemployed among us pooling our skills and resources into a freelance co-op and the response was HUGE. Over 50 responses from people eager to take part and build a group. It took on a life of its own.

It was obvious to me that a linkedin discussion group was inadequate to handle the nuts and bolts of actually executing the plan to build a co-op, so I offered to build a forum to make it easier to get everything organized and moving forward.

But the group owner took exception to that. He wanted everyone to stay right there on LinkedIn and talk about it, so he was opposed to a separate forum. And he bounced me from the group with no warning.

So I'm just pissed. If it was a regular forum, I'd agree with his right to do that and I'd just leave. But he's just a group owner on a large social network. And I wouldn't care, except that in this case, there is a large amount of very enthusiastic people and he's blocking the project from moving forward. A string of public comments is hopelessly inadequate for managing an actual project, because at some point there are nuts and bolts events that have to happen. I'm really annoyed.

:rant2:

It sounds like this person is not confident in his own abilities and his site.

I would be really angry too. Thats really silly.

I don't see the point in blocking something positive either.

Docpixel

Habitué
Thanks, Shaun. :) Well, I got some satisfaction from reporting it to LinkedIn customer service, anyway.

Docpixel

Habitué
Just the auto-response, Rocky. It'll be interesting to see if they respond, though. They seem overall like a fairly tightly run organization. Hmm...

annakey

Charter? What Charter?
Is there a way to gently poke fun at him, to let others on LinkedIn know what he did? One thing I've noticed about forum control freaks is they usually run a censorship operation in tandem with their control freakery. In other words, they know what they do is daft, they're are ashamed of it, and try to hide it. This fits with him not answering your message: if he engaged with you he might be forced to admit his idiocy.

Good luck with the co-op - obviously a million times more important than poking this little Hitler with a stick - but if you can find a way to give him a bit of a smack over this he might think twice before doing it again.

Here he is btw:

awww.infendo.com_wp_content_uploads_2007_05_nerd_46422.jpg

:lol:

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I would say what I think of the owner, but it wouldn't be very nice. :lol:

@ the above picture: I always wondered what that man would say if he saw his outdated picture on the net one day. :lol:

Docpixel

Habitué
Annakey, that's just what he looks like! :biglaugh: I feel pretty limited in what I can do to poke him, although I'd love to. But LI has a professional ambiance, so I feel constrained by that. Dammit.

I've gone ahead and started a new group.

This was the universe gently nudging you to start your own group. Ok, maybe it wasn't so gentle, but you were meant to do your own thing and Control Freak just provided the motivation.

Mariner

Fan
If you've started a new group, you really just need to get in contact with some of the people who supported idea. Ask them to help outreach to the rest of the original group and direct them to your new one.

I'm sorry to hear this happened though. I can feel your frustration... and there's not much to do about it :(

I hope all turns out well for 'ya. :)

Docpixel

Habitué
Well, you guys are right and I did start a new group. We're slowly getting gathered together again, but sure not with the original velocity. &&^%^%$^

:wave:

Mariner

Fan
Well, you guys are right and I did start a new group. We're slowly getting gathered together again, but sure not with the original velocity. &&^%^%$^

:wave:
Maybe you could look at it this way: If they really were interested in your new idea, they'd find you. ;)

At least you know that the ones who have tracked you down are the ones who are really dedicated and will make for better teammates. :)