Solutions to revenue loss from Adblocking - for publishers

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by MrX123, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    I like the sound of that...

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,456

What makes a site online different than any other endeavor? If you want to teach kids soccer, I guess you should do that for free and bear all the costs yourself also?

Ask yourself this -- if there was an app to block all advertisements on regular TV -- how many channels would exist? How many radio stations?

You may not start off as a business, but if there is success, then you need to start thinking about economics at some point. If you have a site where you and your buddies are the only posters, then fine, ads, etc aren't necessary. But when you have a big board, and need to spend several hours a day to maintain it, thousands of dollars a year for hosting and software, -- I think its unreasonable to expect you can do it without ads.

3. Joeychgo

+3,456
    That's the kind of stuff I've been trying to think of so I can get an addon made.

The other thing, I haven't really tested it out yet but the XF Ads Manager addon now has a feature where you can provide a replacement ad (ie a banner with a simple affiliated link, like to ebay or amazon) to adblock users. I'm planning on using that soon as well

4. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    Might as well give the add on various options. No link on New Thread or Reply button. No quick reply. No editor extras. No bbcode. Etcetera...

Some people have legitimate privacy concerns but most just set it and forget it. Give them a really good reason to remember...

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,032
    You might be onto something there. That would work on me for sure.

The link could even include text or a small replacement image explaining that whitelisting the site will remove the link and display the image with no need to click.

6. Joeychgo

+3,456

Yes -- what I've been thinking about is limiting features that use up resources. A few reasons for this. First is obvious, if you wont let me generate revenue by using an adblocker, I am entitled to limit the resources you use; Another reason being that those resources affect the site performance for other members as well.

So I have been trying to figure out what I can limit reasonably.

7. Joeychgo

+3,456
    The other thing could be to include a statement that says "Some site features may not work properly with adblocker enabled" and then also offer them a link to a subscription.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,032
    Yeah, I guess there are two options depending on the type of ads you run.

Whitelist us, free for you, the experience is enhanced and the admin get the ad impressions.

Or buy an upgrade, ads are completely gone, the experience is enhanced as with the whitelisting, plus you probably get some additional forum benefits not offered by whitelisting alone.

Covers your for those who want to support you, but can't or won't pay.

And covers those who want to support you and are happy to pay.

9. Joeychgo

+3,456
    I've also thought about adding another usergroup. This would be only for members who
    • Don't use an adblocker -- using an adblocker would kick you out of the group
    • Make x number of posts / threads per month
    This would be a group that would see less ads, but some ads.

So for example, if you make 50 posts a month, then you would see only half of the ads those who don't post would see. BUT - if you use an adblocker - then you wouldn't be allowed into that group.

10. tmapps

tmapps Participant

+40
    TMA solves this problem since ad blockers don't work inside it, assuming they aren't using a VPN-based blocker, and it would be possible to block VPN users inside the app if the demand was there to implement it. The problem is that many admins don't want to change their style.

This, even when the style provided with TMA is far more user friendly and the forum keeps all of its ads. Push notifications snowball the benefits of bypassed ad blockers and theoretically makes more ad revenue than even regular web traffic hit for hit, the opposite effect of fully native mobile apps.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. Joeychgo

+3,456
    It only solves it for users that access via mobile and choose to do so through your app. Further - it costs money to use the app - offsetting any revenue gains to a certain extent.

12. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+189
    another option - change the font for adblockers. change it to a less popular font. :)

13. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Not all TV channels in the UK show ads. That said, it's a lot more expensive to run TV programs than running a forum. And I did say for those forums out there which are huge and cost a lot keeping them going online, yes they do needs ads. I never said all sites, I was talking about sites that don't really needs ads, most don't need them.

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,447
    Personally I don't watch TV, I don't even own one. The last time I attempted to watch one (but failed to find a channel) was when the World Trade Centre was attacked.

But you are right, not all channels show adds, instead they raise funding through licensing and/or criminalising around 200,000 people a year which accounts for about 12% of court cases brought before a magistrate. And that to fund an organisation with a reputation of hiring the very worst kind of criminal.

To be honest I think if I did watch TV I think I'd prefer ads. Perhaps that would stop the 20 or 30 threatening letters and numerous doorstep visits from licensing enforcers I get every six months who insist I'm guilty of watching TV without a licence :mad:

/rant

15. tmapps

tmapps Participant

+40
    First, even in earlier versions when the app was more rough around the edges, it's been about retention. Forums using Twenty Two out of the gate get very high retention, the skin meets member expectations of an app and therefore retention is strong.

Spread, a regular license runs about $25/mo, which is nothing for the benefits. An enterprise license is about $40/mo (+$20/mo for app store accounts, but most big boards already have them from BYO); these boards largely cash in with ads, and the fee versus the reward from proper implementation is peanuts.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  16. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    What app are you referring to?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.