Solutions to revenue loss from Adblocking - for publishers

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by MrX123, Apr 11, 2016.

1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,218
    What ads show up doesn't necessarily tell you a thing about that individual user, because the networks use aggregate site as well as individual habits. I've had ads for things I've never looked at show up on my forums because some other users on the forums might have looked at them. You have to go to the ad company's server side to know the true picture of any given user.

2. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    Let's assume that you're really worried about this and ONLY this... Ad Blockers do way, way more than blocking general ad networks. They obfuscate an entire site's own internal ad banner system that isn't even cookie based and presents a complete zero security problem for end users. The primary purpose of these blockers is to collect revenues from companies tried to whitelist their sites from this unauthorized obfuscation and from users wishing to milk the cow for free. Not one penny is paid to the site, the primary provider of the content which the end user enjoys. While I have sites that I no longer visit because of how obnoxious they are, let's call this for what it is.

3. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    Learning quite a lot here.
    I have ad blocks myself as an administrator but like it as a normal user.
    So, that's it , I don't try to keep people from blocking ads in my site

4. Reilly

Reilly Aspirant

+2
    Which is why I no longer go to forbes.

5. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,440
    Forbes isn't the only one... and its only going to become more anti adblocker. People gotta pay the bills, and they do it with advertising.

6. Reilly

Reilly Aspirant

+2
    Agreed. I put an ad blocker up 3 years ago so I have no idea what ads are even out there.

Any site that doesn't allow an adblocker I will never read.

REALLY liking these ideas.

Very smart I could possibly go to a site like that and donate. I am happy to pay NOT to see ads. If forbes said ok $20 and no ads I would have done it in a heart beat. I think it offends people when you can't see anything because you have an ad blocker.

Do you think forbes make more than $20 off one person? I really have no idea.

You said"You got a down-vote for the same reason I gave Merlin one. How do you know the OP is serving malvertising? You don't, but like most people, you might think the odds are that every website does"

How do you know why people install ad blockers? You don't, but like most people, you might think you know why.

I installed one 3 years ago and don't go to forbes because they require me to turn it off. If they said hey put your CC in and for $20 you don't have to see that crap. I would do it in a second.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016
  7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,218
    Wow, its getting deep in here.

Forbes gives people with blockers access for free, simply by registering.

8. BeyBrad

BeyBrad Adherent

+124
    I work in digital marketing and produce content about how to market effectively online and utilize programmatic advertising, so I definitely don't think those tools are going anywhere. But ad purchasing and viewership are only going to continue consolidating around Google and Facebook and other large networks. Ad-blockers will continue to propagate.

Without any preaching about whether digital advertising is dead or not, here's a few pragmatic solutions admins can consider:

1. Build an app. Building native mobile applications gives you a path around ad blockers and enables you to provide enhanced functionality to your audience. But it's expensive and labour-intensive.

2. Work directly with advertisers. I imagine a ton of you do this already, but working out custom contracts with individual advertisers that are relevant to your reach can prove better for everyone involved. You get paid more (because the ads are effective due to being extremely relevant to your community), and your users get to see content that's actually interesting to them.

3. Find revenue streams outside of advertising. If you build a truly awesome community, you can get people to open their wallets and support you. Even better if you can find creative ways of rewarding your donors; on worldbeyblade.org, we use profile awards and we also sell merchandise like t-shirts. We charge entry fees for our real-world events.

4. Keep users engaged. This is one of the biggest struggles as an admin, but there are basic things you can do to make it easier. Send out a bi-weekly email newsletter that's well-designed and links back to interesting content on your site. Same with social media — constantly link back. Brainstorm interesting threads you or other members of your team could start, and make it your and your whole team's responsibility to be your site's most active members.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that it's basically impossible to eke out a living merely by running a message board, even if reasonably successful. Admins need to look beyond the forum structure to understand that their role is as community organizers and event planners as much as it is "admin'ing." Think about how you can expand your web properties and the number of ways you engage with your audience.

9. Joeychgo

+3,440
  10. BeyBrad

BeyBrad Adherent

+124
  11. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+111
    Same here, I tossed ABP. Also allowed this mboard on uBlock too.

12. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    Reviving this one from the dead... I use all the typical ad types on my forums. I have a header ad, a footer ad, a skyscraper ad and an in-post ad. I offer inexpensive options to remove ALL network ads. I also offer viewers to remove most ads for free if they white list my site - leaving only one ad in the header and one ad in the footer. Not too bad. Right?

What I'd like to do is limit specific types of content for visitors who won't even give me ANY of the above (which I feel is very reasonable). If there currently aren't, there should be ways to limit content such as images, specific forums or perhaps getting really nasty - even specific posts within discussions (2nd, 7th, etc post on every page). A percentage of people will do the following:

- Leave and never come back
    - Purchase a subscription to remove all the ads
    - Whitelist the site and deal with one ad on top and one ad on the bottom

If you can't deal with a single ad in the header and a single ad in the footer, contact me and let's see if we can work something out. I would have absolutely no problem with somebody who actually contributes to the community by helping people with questions (for example) continuing to use their ad blocker. As long as they're providing some type of value to the community - that's good enough for me...

Thoughts?

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    I've just installed an ad-blocker on a device to help me track down a problem that's being reported on one of my sites. Looking through my list of bookmarks, it surprised me how many sites now take active steps to detect ad-blockers. What surprises me even more is not one of them appeared to block content.

14. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    I'm one of them. I don't block content but I ask users to whitelist my sites. I think it would be good to have some sort of options to block some type of content - not only the whole site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,043
    If you want to run a site online (keep in mind that nobody is begging, or asked you to run one) in first place. Then you should be prepared to foot the cost of doing it yourself, why do you think it's up to all others on the web to pay keeping it online for you?

I can understand when a forum becomes huge and gets millions of page views and the cost of running that site becomes too much being used by 1000's of people. Sure, I get the whole ads thing then and it being needed. But most small/medium sites don't need ads with the cost of hosting coming down a lot. It's just an excuse to try and make money out a forum

People have got sick of ads posted on virtually 'most sites' on the web - used simply to try and make some money. That is why ad blockers have become so popular, they ain't going away any time soon to suit site owners. And to be honest, anyone that runs a small site not needing ads (but uses them anyway). They shouldn't be running a site.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  16. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,218
    Taking your line of thinking one step further, is it up to other developers to provide you with free forum software for your site?

17. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+952
    I've started using an adblocker on my iPhone and it makes the mobile web soooo much nicer.

I'm not against ads at all, I get them, they pay for free content and I like to support the sites I frequent often by turning off my adblocker and even clicking on ads sometimes. I should probably stop clicking on the hot 'n horny singles ads I get on TAZ, but they keep telling me they're so close to where I live!

But mobile ads have gotten out of control, massive full screen interstitials with tiny x's to close them that don't close, auto play video, all sorts of nonsense.

I tried the Crystal content blocker when content blockers on iOS first became a thing, it was okay, not great, ended up just turning it off. Then the ads started getting to me again last month in apps. Decided to give it another go and am now using AdBlock

It's absolutely brilliant, so much nicer to browse the mobile web, what I like is it also block in app ads, so when I'm browsing links in a reddit app and end up on some dodgy news site in the in app browser it still works and the site is readable. I actually forgot I had it installed until I saw this thread, and I'll be installing it on my older generation family & friends phones as I do IT support for them as and when.

It's easy enough to open the app and swipe it off, although I do wish there was an easy way to whitelist sites.

I'm pretty sure the ad blocker detectors don't pick up on the iOS content blockers. So the point I guess I'm trying to get to, is the only way to get money out of someone like me on a mobile site would be to have me register and pay to view the blocked content. Although I'm not sure if there's any sites I visit regularly that I'd bother to do that for though...if I were, it would probably be a couple of the forums I visit regularly the content would have to be really good.

I'm not even sure if I'm a common use case, I imagine very few people use content blockers on iOS as it's quite a tucked away feature and hasn't had much media coverage that I'm aware of since the initial launch in September 2015.

Does anyone else use adblockers on their phones on iOS or Android?

18. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,043
    I noticed that when using a Pad for a while when PC was down and needed a new PSU. I couldn't believe the ads that kept popping up and you couldn't get rid of them either. Far worse than on a PC, I would clear all cache and whatnot, they would go away for a few hours and then start coming back again. Terrible, and got annoying that you couldn't get rid of them.

19. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    #1. I am prepared to foot the bill.
    #2. I don't run ads on new sites I start.
    #3. I don't rely on the internet to earn my living so I don't give two craps whether you and everybody else runs ad blockers from now until kingdom come. I run brick and mortar businesses from here to China. I'm just stating my opinion on the subject.

20. Joeychgo

+3,440
    One thing I've thought about is not displaying full size images to adblockers -- just display an image link instead.

That's not withholding content, its withholding the convenience of having the image displayed without clicking. Being that I have car forums, there are a lot of images.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.