Software: Forum Software

Olate

Aspirant
Olate submitted a new Article:

Software: Forum Software

Forum Software

Originally posted on my site - http://www.olate.com

The ‘forum’, or ‘discussion board’, plays a major part on most successful websites providing a place for regular visitors to discuss topics the site covers. This creates a community and adds ‘stickiness’ to your site, making people come back time and time again. Looking at the many hundreds of thousands of websites with forums, you can see various systems that are employed to provide the discussion board features – posting, voting, private messaging, and categories etc which all play a part in the standard feature list for all big forum systems. In this article, I’m going to download, install and setup 5 of the biggest and more popular forum applications.

I have chosen these from the lists at Hotscripts.com and also based on my past experience and knowledge. I have only chosen free systems due to the fact that it is what most web site owners will be using and the difficulty in acquiring a copy of paid for systems for review. I understand that as a consequence of this, I will have to leave out the extremely popular vBulletin. I have also chosen PHP, ASP and CGI systems to give a wide choice to you when you decide which system you want to go for.

The following applications are going to be reviewed here, each is freely available for download from it’s website:

phpBB- PHP
Invision Power Board - PHP
Snitz - ASP
Web Wiz Forums - ASP
IkonBoard - CGI

For each one, I will be following the same process:

1. Downloading, extracting and uploading the files to my web space.
2. Running through the installation scripts.
3. Browsing the configuration settings and features.

I will be commenting on the applications in different areas which will allow me to come to a final conclusion and present an overall mark in the summary.

[SIZE=+1]phpBB[/SIZE]
http://www.phpbb.com

phpBB, the system that powers the forums on my own website, has been available for quite a time. Version 2.0.x has come a very long way since 1.0.0 was released back in December 2000 with developments in the PHP scripting language and the addition of various features phpBB now has a very...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
Yes, and we will be publishing that review within the next few months here at the admin zone....thanks to david. ;)

Isaac

Adherent
snowcrash said:
Hi

How about reviewing SMF, seems to be gaining a good following lately?

cheers
Yeah, SMF has been growing by leaps and bounds a of late.

candlesense

Neophyte
hi there :
I am using iportalx, thought its fairly a good Asp forum software - wish anyone here reviewed about it - i havnt seen any one here talk about it.

ZuLuuuuuu

Aspirant
hi there :
I am using iportalx, thought its fairly a good Asp forum software - wish anyone here reviewed about it - i havnt seen any one here talk about it.
I think iPortalX is using an old version of Web Wiz Forums integrated in it. That means it is actually Web Wiz Forums :) That is why it is not reviewed.

StewartRoonie

Neophyte
Great thread,

I really loved your post. The first benefit of using software that is designed for the home business from the internet is that you have a large selection to choose from. There are many software directories that offer hundreds to thousands of different types of programs that you can use to increase the overall efficiency of your home based work endeavors. These programs have been developed by individuals who have experience of some sort in the business environment. You can discover virtually all types of shareware, trial ware, and demo ware that can prove to be highly effective!

The advantage when it comes to commercial software for your home based business is that you can experiment with the software prior to making a commitment to purchase. You should know and understand that not all software will prove to be a type that you can use. Many are too basic, while others are too complicated. Many have too few features while others have exactly what you will need. There are some that will be too costly, while others have a decent price tag attached to them. This is why it is important to have the ability to play around with the software prior to purchasing. Now, you can discover which types of shareware will work for you and which types will serve absolutely no purpose at all!

seovb

Participant
Great thread,

I really loved your post. The first benefit of using software that is designed for the home business from the internet is that you have a large selection to choose from. There are many software directories that offer hundreds to thousands of different types of programs that you can use to increase the overall efficiency of your home based work endeavors. These programs have been developed by individuals who have experience of some sort in the business environment. You can discover virtually all types of shareware, trial ware, and demo ware that can prove to be highly effective!
awww_lduhtrp_net_image_3117559_10294001_.gif

The advantage when it comes to commercial software for your home based business is that you can experiment with the software prior to making a commitment to purchase. You should know and understand that not all software will prove to be a type that you can use. Many are too basic, while others are too complicated. Many have too few features while others have exactly what you will need. There are some that will be too costly, while others have a decent price tag attached to them. This is why it is important to have the ability to play around with the software prior to purchasing. Now, you can discover which types of shareware will work for you and which types will serve absolutely no purpose at all!

I agree, if you're serious about your site or it generates you revenue using a paid solution is the way to go!

royaleviv

Aspirant
oh yeah, really a great post. now what are the forums and how they can be developed...

CSparks

Aspirant
Awesome post.... This is going to save me days of work seraching for this info.

mialutz

Aspirant
vBulletin is such a valid option for a paid site it's rather hard to ignore it but this is some good information.

Starion

Aspirant
Agreed - not sure how valid this is now vs 8 years ago ciraca 2004!!

Great article, but is there another one like it that is current? I'm just starting off and want more current info on the options.

Looks like vBullitin or phpBB

stevesmith

Neophyte
download your php

I download the phpBB and i will upload on your website space soon ...i have lots of work to do ....

xendo

Neophyte
Thank you very much Olate to share these information with detail. But i am facing of error , http://www.olate.com my explorer not founding this website. I want to download some applications. can you help me?