So is this completely hopeless or not?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by MoonlightCapital, Feb 3, 2018.

1. MoonlightCapital

MoonlightCapital Aspirant

+1
    Basically, i built my site last summer at https://moonlightcapital.ml/

However, no one showed interest in it, without even leaving costructive feedback. My goal is to build a community about any possible topic while remaining private and decentralized, without an head company or something like that. The site is half personally half community, and what i don't have is the community.

Can someone give me constructive feedback, and help on how to improve the site? I coded all by myself.

2. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+945
    Sooo.. . I'll be blunt.

Landing page - "This is a personal website" ... Oh, ok. Then why am I here?

"click here" to learn more about the publisher... Ok... "I am more intelligent than people my age and have a boring life"... Seriously, why am I on this site still?

Ok.. check out some threads on the forum... the thread list looks bad on mobile... Both first posts I read are you calling bugs "dumb" and workarounds "stupid".

Tell me - Why would I join your site? What do I get out of it?

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,720
    I agree with haqzorehaqzore there's nothing there that would make me want to join. Is it a 'personal website' or a community? One seems very much at odds with other. There's no content, I don't even know what kind of member the site is trying to attract. Dog owners, astronauts, librarians? Your site needs a better description of what it is and you need to fill it with appropriate content.

On the positive side, I found the simple layout quite appealing but I also found some pages are failing to deliver CSS e.g. https://moonlightcapital.ml/forum/3

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,057
    The discord channel is the most compelling part of that site, and its availability easily takes activity away from the barren website. Did you actually mean to make it a portfolio?
    As things are, I think a forum-based community would not work, especially if you aimed to establish an orator relation with readers, for which a blog would work better.

5. MoonlightCapital

+1
    Thanks for your words. It's the first time i get some feedback from people.

The fact is, i'm not really good at wording things (english is not even my native language). Probably a well-styled landing page could make things better. I'm aware of some CSS issue i was not able to fix, expect me to work on it as quick as i can.
    The Discord requires you to have an account registered on the platform as security system, due to some issues that happened at the beginning of the year.
    A blog would not work either because, i told i'm not a great writer.

6. LeadCrow

+2,057
    What motivated you to consider starting a community, by the way? From a cursory look, it looks like you didnt pursue any particular interest, just basically anything. With focus scattered this much, a safe option is to make communities about one's self, but that's more fitting for a social network or personal blog.

You could also make one of the site's highlights a 'news watch', where you either report on specific happenings of interest or aggregate them in a format that can interest readers (consider it practice for writing and journalistic thinking).
    The forum itself might difficultly take off, without a minimum of seed content like that coming from you. Keep in mind that you need readers, then repeat visitors before expecting any participant to a community (very few among your visitors will be converted, even on a good forum).

7. MoonlightCapital

+1
    All you said is true. Reason i wanted to start a community is because an online friend of mine did it, and i wanted to try doing something by myself.
    Should i work on more style? I actually dislike most modern sites with loads of JavaScript and fancy effects, i try to be as clear as possible.

8. Optic

Optic Enthusiast

+117
    I like the favicon/mascot..

Other than that, no topics, members or discussions I could see to make me want to join. I think it looks too simple..

Also “MoonlightCapital” name made me think it was an investment website at first.

9. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+751
    You actually need a topic people are interested in. A niche.

10. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+515
    Congrats on starting a community and website by yourself! That's a huge accomplishment and you should be applauded just for that. It's not easy, and you should think of it as a journey more than a destination.

Some thoughts:
    1. Some people like to work on the community's technology. Some people just want a space to write an online journal. Some people like to manage community's members. Those are very different goals.

Figure out who you are first. Then build your software around your goals, find out how you can grow your strengths and overcome your weaknesses.

2. Turn your interest in your discussion. You're very talented, you know coding, and you created a new community platform from scratch. Use that as your launching pad to teach others how to code. Post tutorials, coding instructions, or videos. Use your passion to help others. Other people will eventually join you in your journey.

3. How is your website unique / different? On the entire Internet with millions and millions of other websites, why would someone want to visit you? Answer that question. It's a hard question.

4. Share yourself as widely as possible ... in reddit, discord, tech communities, facebook, wherever you Italian boy coders like to hang out.

Good luck!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. MoonlightCapital

+1
    Is that a bad idea to be the user with the most topics or not? I'm just afraid of breaking some of my rules inadvertently.

Joel RJoel R:

1. I'll try to add features as soon as i can the backend is not the cleanest code possible

2. Thanks, was thinking of adding some easy to read PHP tutorials, since it's the only language i know decently

3. I'm not a big company who sells your data to marketers, advertisers and other unwanted guys. I tend to be quick responding to messages (usually less than 24 hours)

4. I'm not a great advertiser, but might try. I tend to be a bit inside the rules.

12. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,168
    Best of luck. Seriously!
    I clicked out of the site when I saw "Reccomended sites/services"

I'm anal about a lot of things (LOL - private joke I assure you - perhaps a Freudian slip IDK..) but generally not so with spelling. But for some reason this bothered me.. Especially being so bold. There are glaring spelling errors. For instance, the main 'blurb' reads as: "This is a home-coded website, aiming to provide you a fast and reilable communication platform." Again - the spelling error right of the bat ... Also = I'm not even sure what this means tbh... What is a reliable communication platform?

Anyway - With such a simplicity in design - the spelling errors seem more accentuated. With English-as-second language - it's totally understandable how such errors could be made. I'm curious though - so I re-opened the site and clicked the About Me link which begins as follows:
    It's soooooooo negative... Stop it.

You obviously have something to offer - otherwise you'd not have created the website. Right...?! Anyway - I'd advise a re-envisioning of the site's purpose and have someone edit the copy so that it entices site users to actually click on various links to learn more about what you have to offer.

J.

13. MoonlightCapital

+1
    Hm yeah i understand. I fixed some of the errors you reported, while the others in my biography need a lot more work.

Little update: the navigation bar now is split in half, one for account buttons, the other for general navigation. In addition, the page contens are much wider.
    I should stop being lazy replacing white-space tricks with markdown parser.

14. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Enthusiast

+80
    To be honest I can't really tell what your site is about.

Is it a blog about your life?
    Is it a community / forum?
    Is it a commercial platform for your skills / services?

If its a community, i struggle to understand why you would have an "about me" section at all. Communities I know are based around an interest / skill / service and don't tend to have a section like that.

If its a blog, why are you being so negative about yourself?

If its a platform for discord, what advantage do I have by signing up to the site?

The contact section puzzles me, why not just have a complete email address rather than make users amend it in order to actually contact you?

If your native language isn't English, why create the site in the language? surely you are creating more work for yourself in the long run?

What drives your logo / name?

I do find it difficult to criticise your appearance if its done manually, i like the effort.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 2
    • List
  15. MoonlightCapital

+1
    >Is it a blog about your life? - no
    >Is it a community / forum? - yes
    >Is it a commercial platform for your skills / services? - i don't sell anything

>If its a blog, why are you being so negative about yourself? - probably unconsciously attempting at getting attention

>If its a platform for discord, what advantage do I have by signing up to the site? - um it isn't? and i'm working on a score system to engage activities

>The contact section puzzles me, why not just have a complete email address rather than make users amend it in order to actually contact you? - spambots and other malicious people, that's why.

>If your native language isn't English, why create the site in the language? surely you are creating more work for yourself in the long run? - english is a global language rather than my native one that's just spoken in my county and literally nowhere else

>What drives your logo / name? - this is very hard to answer

16. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,168
    This generally the first step you make when creating a website.
    Without it -- and if you don't even know the answer -- your site visitors will struggle to understand what the site is about and click out of it.
    It seems you've defeated yourself...

J.

17. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Enthusiast

+80
    I tend to think of forum as a shop or club window. The first impressions make a good deal of difference. Would you go to a coding club when they have posters in the window saying they only have one PC, the windows leak and you have no heating?

I ask because its one of the first, most prominent things you see when going to the URL.

I would have thought it would be better to put the full address in, and then take action if you get that problem.

I like the effort you are putting in, but I do think if you are coding the site yourself it should probably be in your native language. Most browsers can translate where needed and would have far less errors.

Hmm. Honestly, if you are going to have a logo / brand that sounds like a bar in Amsterdam, it should probably have some meaning behind it and relate to the site.

Also, why are you recommending other sites and services on your homepage? I don't get this at all, especially for a new site, and especially when this is written : "I don't even know why is this here"

Please don't take what I'm saying as a dig. If i'm thinking it, you can bet new users who have no experience of your site will be as well.

18. Bengie

Bengie Aspirant

+4
    I'm sorry, but I am going to be totally negative.

First impression - what's it about, there is no indication whatsoever about any subject.
    Second thing that struck me - you are asking for money, sorry, that is the biggest turnoff ever.

You 'must' give some indication what your site is about and stop asking for money until you are established.

19. MoonlightCapital

+1
    1) didn't you see the text in the homepage?

2) i got an IRL friend to promeote my site. The money is pretty much needed for keeping the site alive, and if you didn't read, i offer privileges in exchange to money.

20. LeadCrow

+2,057
    Keeping your showcases online is a mandatory expense despite the visible lack of returns.

If budget is this tight, you could likely switch the whole site to a free hosting platform like Github Pages or certain big webhosts' free plans (planethoster's world lite) and reinvest the freed ressources into improving your projects and tools.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.