So I guess a lot of EU based sites will be shutting down when Article 13 becomes law...

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by BirdOPrey5, May 30, 2018.

1. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+795
    On the other side of things, Copyrights on the internet have been in a state for quite a while. I haven't read the text of the final form of this law but it is true that something needed to be done to protect people's work online. I'm not convinced putting the onus on the content deliverer is the right way to go, though it is consistent with the EU's current course of protecting people's rights, without expecting any effort on their part.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,699
    My (limited) understanding is as things stand a forum would require a licence to publish links or quoted material which is subject to copyright. However now I've read some of the detail it's also my understanding that the vote is a negotiating position which will now go to a “trilogue,” a negotiation between the EU Council and the Commission, where the details could change yet again.

The next vote which will be binding should take place early next year.

3. esquire

esquire Habitué

+623
    We're in agreement here. My point is only how shockingly poor some of these approaches seem to be. I find it odd because, on the surface, other areas the EU's approaches can be quite innovative and ostensibly well thought out. And then there are these which seem to be an example of trying to take a blunt instrument to deal with problems and it isn't going to work with the finesse they expect.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    This article 11 and 13 is done because it was lobbied for by news outlets they nowthink facebook and google are going to pay.

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
  6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,429
    This will hit forums hard, and Reddit harder.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Only if reddit is EU based.

9. esquire

esquire Habitué

+623
    There is one good point which isn't followed through which undermines the entire tax. All publishers need to do is put in a robots directive for "noindex" and all the links go out of the Google search engine. Arguably, the publishers themselves have all the rights to control whether or not their content appears in Google. It undermines the entire argument that publishers are powerless to avoid being harmed by being included, at least with regard to Google's search engine.

10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
    That was covered in that article I linked to... they (newsies) are playing the "woe is us" card but they want their cake and eat it too. And the EU is likely to give it to them as they are against those big bad evil corporations and all about the power of the government and their right to protect their innocent citizens and businesses.
    Never mind it's a simple solution that Google honors (robots.txt), it's to difficult for those brain dead EU politicians to understand.
    If they were going to do it right, they would force the news providers to block all scraping via robots.txt. Then if a news aggregator/search engine scraped it with robots.txt blocking it there would be grounds to go on.

They want that search engine power sending hits their way, but they also want to be compensated 3-4 times for it (by the search engine, usually by a subscription cost to the site, and then ad revenue). Hell, most people would LOVE being paid by 3 different companies for doing one job.

11. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    The problem is that old news companies have no clue you to run digital. Look at the prices does are almost the same as paper instead of going for the masses they want high paying members.

12. esquire

esquire Habitué

+623
    Technically it's the wrong solution and only one road into Rome. And what I'm talking about is removing all their content from Google, future, present and past - if they so want to insist that this is the proper and appropriate route.

I'm very sympathetic to the sweat of the brow work that media companies make. There is no question that we do need to work a little harder to ensure the right people get paid. But these moves feel as if they are being done by bureaucrats and not with the good sense of people on the ground who understand how the world actually works.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.