So has anyone else about had it with DMOZ?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by BamaStangGuy, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    What is the point of the damn thing if no one is going to monitor it?

I submited my site Mustangevolution.com which has been around for over 3 year to the directory about 8 months ago and nothing.

I have resubmitted it a couple of times since then and NOTHING.

I mean seriously... what is the point? Am I doing something wrong??? I am putting it in the same category as the other sites related to my subject.

I have also submitted my new site http://www.conflictingviews.com and have recieved no feedback or anything.

It is just damn annoying that they even allow the submissions if they aren't going to look at them or if they are overloaded.

:banghead:

2. phoenixdown21

phoenixdown21 The Man with the Plan

+43
    I dont know why people even bother with it... I am sure it helps but it seems to be a lost cause and not everyone bothers going there.

3. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    Yes:
    Every time you resubmit, you just overwrite the previous submission with the new date. If an editor sorts the suggestion pool (assuming they choose to use the pool to build a category) by date (most do), you have been putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

Once you have submitted once, there is nothing more than you can do.

You also seem to be under the mistaken impression that DMOZ is a listing service - its not. That service is provided by other directories.

4. bradley

bradley Rockforums.net admin

+0
    Submit it... and forget it. It's a great bonus if one day it gets accepted, so many mirror sites use the DMOZ data that you get an abundance of backlinks just by being included in it once. They're usually quite high quality, relevant links, too

5. MJMoore

MJMoore Adherent

+0
    You could try http://www.resource-zone.com/ if you'd like some feedback. They won't go into details, but will give you an idea if there's a problem with your submission.

6. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    No they won't. Its against the forum rules to provide that kind of information.

7. magoo

magoo Participant

+0
    They used to give updates on the status of submissions until May but they stopped doing it. It is as far as I can see a total waste of time. I submitted my site nearly a year ago and still it isnt listed. I've heard google isn't using their data very much now anyway

8. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+233
    I've been told by DMOZ editors to not bother submitting a community website until it has a respectible amount of members and activity. How you define that may be different than how anyone else would, but I'd suspect that if a real editor did review it and decided not to include it in the directory than it's probably because it's a startup community.

9. IMPAQ

IMPAQ Nuyorican Soul

+0
    I submitted RichmondForums and within a couple of months it was up.

10. mightyb

mightyb Amaizingnistrator

+2
    I have heard so many things about dmoz... The have only accepted one site out of mine 11 submitted. The funny thing is that i have sold it before it even got listed because it took 2 years.

Iv seen editors removing their competitor's from Dmoz etc

I dont even bother anymore

11. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+111
    Exactly. Each editor claims to just be following the rules but they all pretty much do their own thing and go by their own schedule. That's why you'll get a different answer from different editors if you ask them seperately.

Most seem to have just signed up to accept their own sites and reject competitors. Ask a few of them confidentially and they'll tell you ;)

12. AWS

AWS Guest

+129
    Much dis-information in this thread as usual when it comes to ODP. First Google still uses dmoz data for their directory and supplement search results with it.
    While there are some self interested editors that sign up to list their sites they are weeded out rather quick.
    The reason it takes so long at times is because the huge amount of submissions received. Some areas are well covered with active editors and sites are listed quickly. Other areas don't have active editors and sites could sit in those areas until a higher level editor happens along.
    A listing in dmoz will get you a ton of backlinks. There are many small mom and pop portals that use the data and if listed in dmoz you're listed in them.
    While we don't do status requests at RZ any longer you can gain a huge amount of knowledge on what it takes to be listed by reading through the archived site submission status threads. You can also get valuable insight into what it takes to get listed and what we look for in a site. Content is king and that is what we look for. I have listed many forums. The only thing I look for is activity level. I myself want to see activity and want the topics to fit the category submitted to. Post count doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with me.

13. Libertate

Libertate Devotee

+16
    AWS, apreciate your insight into DMOZ, but I must kindly disagree. (For the others, never tick off a DMOZ editall, or meta!)

Most of the comments are true from the posts. Indeed backlinks from various directories are very beneficial. the question is, does it worth it to go through the begging to get listed?

Let me preface my criticism that I do comprehend that all of DMOZ is volunteer.

In the begining it seemed like it will work. My domains got listed, moved or rejected and actually got feedback when requested.

Corruption, and self advertising is so rampant in DMOZ it is beyond comprehension why the core team does not react. Or the Adsense money they get through multiple listings got to their heads?

DMOZ will be marginalized. Someone will come along and create a more precise, more proper DB, and erase DMOZ form our memory...

I still believe there is a majority of the editors out there want to do a good job, the problem is DMOZ is way past the "single apple in a barrel" problem.

I believe 25 to 30% of the editors are out there to promote their own business. I am not going to provide examples - simply go into a group with a high value keyword and track the URLs in there. Now cross reference the domain owner(s) to the editor(s) e-mail address.

Besides "self promotion", I am also a firm believer that editors do remove competitors. I have had examples where a high Google PR site (as a comparison), with long history, lots of unique content, was removed from several locations, the same time as a new editall launched her competing site. surprisingly the same groups got filled with multiple links back to her site. I have at least four more first hand experiences.

Again, no disrespect to the editors who are altruistic and dedicate selflessly to better DMOZ. But the barrel of apples is past the point where you can just pick out the rotten ones. It is now a goo of mess, and the good ones are already sunk to the bottom.

Dump the barrel and start over.

p.s.: I am not talking about the domain below.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  14. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    If your claims are true, that editor would be removed if you filed an abuse report. Where they removed? If it was not true, then they would not.

15. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+111
    Well unlike these guys I have no proof so if I did report it the problem is it would be my word against theirs (however I do have those good ole MSN logs ;)).

So what proof would you need if say I reported that an editor frankly stated he has rejected competitor's submissions before? What proof could you or anyone for that matter provide? Would you really fire someone just because I said so or accused them?

Sounds like a good PR but empty promise answer to me :cheeky:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. ............

+111
    AWS, I can see where you're coming from and you seem to be one of the good guys but.....

Using you're own post I'll put it like this. The fact that it is human edited makes it inherently flawed right out of the blocks. Now looking at what you said about what YOU look for is a prime example of what I mean. I mean that's great for YOU... but YOU and your opinion on what makes a forum successful cannot possibly represent the millions of internet forum users out there.

To some people a good forum is one that has the information they were looking for. (yet you would deny them that because it wasn't active enough for you?) To others it's a busy bustling hive of activity with plenty of cool new people to meet. Yet to others that active forum might not be squat if the post/member count is low (not enough points of opinion).

To me Google is about the closest thing to an ideal directory as you can get. It takes much of the human equation out. (you don't have people deciding a forum with low post count doesn't make it in) But leaves enough human interaction in to catch the spammers. AND once a site is in it keeps updating and spidering new pages and content. A directory on steroids!!! So yeah the whole human edited thing "I think" is dying as more and more threads like these pop up on every webmaster forum I visit seem to point to.

Just my 2

17. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    So you could be making it up?

It will not be your word against theirs - all the actions associated with a site will be attached to the editing logs. A senior editor will investigate if it was appropriatly or inapproiately removed by the editor you allege should or should not have done it. If it was sysematic abuse, that editor is gone.

How do you actually know it was a competitor that removed it? Just because an alleged "competitor" might be named as the category editor does not mean it was them. Over 200 people can edit in each category. How do you know it was not your alleged competitor that actually added your site and it was removed by a more senior editor as it should not have been listed?

I think you are jumping to a conclusion based on speculation and coming here to state it as fact.

Sent me a PM of the URL and I will look into it. ....become part of the solution rather than the problem.

18. Libertate

Libertate Devotee

+16
    :D Of course they were reported. And the remaining link in an other category for the reporting site promptly disappeared.

And although I appreciate cbp's offer to you - s/he might be one of the good apples - it is of little relevance now.

DMOZ needs to change, or die.

19. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+272
    Its flawed from the beginning imo...

You dont let people take the categories that interest them because there are too many sites etc etc....

You make them choose small categories that they are not interested in and could careless about....

Yea that sounds good...

I got turned down for my category even though they told me there was a "pool" of sites waiting to be reviewed.

Well I think its time you start accepting editors for it then!

I agree dmoz is flawed

The fact that they do not update you at all after you submit is just STUPID.

20. cbp

cbp Habitué

+21
    hmmm... lets see...
    * It just passed having over 5 million sites listed ... thats an awesome achievement that no other directory has come close to achieveing.
    * It is the fastest growing directory - between 1000 and 2000 sites are added every day ... no other directory has yet come close to matching that growth rate.

That does not look flawed to me... its outstriping every other directory 'model' with such an awesome achievement of size and growth.

You seem to have some sort of distorted view that DMOZ is some sort of listing service for webmasters and editors are there to process submissions - its not a listing service and editors are not there just to process submissions. You have fallen into that common fallacy associated with DMOZ beat ups --- characterise DMOZ as something that its not, then criticise that characterisation. We would all be "on the same page" if you actually understood what DMOZ was and what its about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.