Smf is very popular. It has more live sites than xf, Ipb and other paid forums.

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by ips_doug, Jul 7, 2019.

1. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+11
    https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/vBulletin

I am very impressed. I knew that Smf was popular, but I had not expect this. I suspect that will the final release of 2.1. it will become even more popular. Well done Smf guys.

2. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    It being FREE has lots to do with this site's reported minor statistical "advantage" no? Coupled with how LONG it's been around?

Silly thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  3. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+149
    Do you know what the number one forum software is? It's bbPress.
    This is because you can install it as a Wordpress plugin and Wordpress has a god tier level of popularity.

It is also a really simple and frankly awful software.
    And I find this thread strange considering that it was typed up by an IPS representative (based on that name).

4. Oedipus

Oedipus Participant

+13
  5. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+149
    Maybe bbPress could work for a very tiny "casual" community, but it's very limited.

6. Oedipus

Oedipus Participant

+13
    I put that smiley for OP.

7. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+11
    I am not affiliated with Ips in any way shape or form.

Anyways, about the stats, it says enough regarding the popularity of Smf. ;)

8. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+665
    This user is not associated with IPS, and I would suggest not assuming as such about any particular user until such a thing is actually mentioned. :)

9. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,045
    It shouldn't be that much of a surprise. SMF, despite its glacial development cycle, is a proven product that has been around for a long time. It's often available as a 1-click install from shared hosts, it's free, reliable, lightweight, and it does what it says on the tin.

SMF developers have spent some time making their software very easy for new forum admins, from the simple (almost Wordpress-like) process of install and updating, to installing add ons (of which there are plenty). It's quite easy to customize the look and feel too. Whether you like the software or not, there's no doubt SMF has done a great job of delivering a solid, easy to use product for running a forum.

10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,160
    Is this install count even accurate? Many times you'd find that polls regardkng software, sites and sales actually only cover the US.

Consider how many free forum hosting platforms generate an additional install on a subdomain, are they tallied individually or as a single multiforum? The same goes for software that can be run as a SaaS multiforum platform (usually not paid software since usually sold under restrictive terms).

Example: SMFnew.com, reporting 'We have 39,439 forums using our free services' (if correct, all are live)

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,333
    As a long term SMF user myself I think you've summed it up well and it is still a popular solution for a large number of forum owners.

It's really hard to say. Every site I visit has a different platform at the top of their list. My gut feeling is SMF is probably close to the top in terms of installation numbers because it's a free, one click operation to get it up and running. It's also been around for some years now.

12. davert

davert Enthusiast

+38
    I also use SMF on two forums. It's free when other forum software is $50 to $100 per year after a steep entry price. It's relatively secure compared with a certain php BB. It's a known quantity that still gets updates, albeit rarely. It's got enough features and addons. It's relatively good at repelling evildoers. For the most part it "just works."

I had IPB encourage me to reskin, then every major change was "you shouldn't have made so many modifications" and the skin was ejected anyway. I had XF encourage me to reskin, but then updating would have tossed it all out. I'm not begrudging XF because, well, they're on version 2, but... SMF's stability is actually a good thing for the casual forum manager. (I've sold my major forum.) If I have to do it again, I might just install SMF again, or that even-slower-moving fork from it. It's “good enough” for most people. Indeed, if I could, I'd move Corolland over to SMF — but there's apparently no converter from IPB 4 to it, or, as far as I can tell, ANY free forum.

Now, if the forum really took off? Then I might consider Xenforo, assuming it has a good importer. But for smaller communities, it doesn't matter - as long as you keep the spammers out, people are happy.

13. Curator

Curator Neophyte

+1
    SMF is ugly!
    I would not use it even if they paid me $x,xxx per month to utilize their software.

The same goes for vBulletin, MyBB and PhpBB.

14. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+13
    Without regard to vBulletin, MyBB and PhpBB, I agree with you - SMF is ugly. Ugly and old looking. Reminds me of gmail. I hate / can't stand using it's interface, but it does everything I want it to do and doesn't cost anything.

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,333
    Plus it's secure, fast and has a lot of third party support.

16. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,045
    Ugly is a subjective opinion that has little to do with how well the software does what it's meant to. I actually find it quite appealing, just because it doesn't try to hide what it is and doesn't try to look like some other social media platforms. But that's why we have a variety of different forum software to appeal to different tastes.

17. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+13
    Well duh. Of course it's subjective and has nothing to do with how well the software does. It's how it looks! I don't care what you skin it with, I can spot a SMF forum a mile away. It's functionality and price overcomes its looks.

18. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,045
    Fair enough. I was responding to Curator's remark about SMF and others being too ugly to use under any circumstance. I think it's silly to make such absolute statements.

19. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,333
    I guess it depends on what facet of the software is ugly. Are we talking about aesthetics, function, coding... ?

20. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+13
    Good point zappaDPJ. According to Curator, SMF, vBulletin, MyBB and PhpBB are all "ugly." Since they are all stable, functional, well-established softwares having proven abilities to serve their functions, I'd say we're talking looks, or "aesthetics" as you say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.