SMF, bbpress, mybb, which one is better for small forum ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Rven, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Rven

Rven Neophyte

+0
    Hi,

i think to build a small forum for visitors or clients to leave messages and talk about hosting,

i do not need many features,

but i hope it is stable,security,and do not need too much resource,

and it is good for seo,

do you have experience with bbpress,SMF,mybb ? or any better suggestion ?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,003
    Welcome to TAZ RvenRven :)

As they are all free my advice would be to rent some server space, try them all, pick your favourite and go live with it.

Personally I prefer SMF but only because it suits my particular needs. SMF is also getting closer to a release (v2.1) which will include a lot of vital updated and improved functionality.

3. koraldon

koraldon Aspirant

+7
    I would also check phpbb

4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+923
    I'm in agreement with zappaDPJzappaDPJ

Download a few and try them out. Especially if you aren't experienced in forum administration, this will give you a good idea about how easy or difficult each one is to install, configure, and administer. I'd also suggest spending a little time on each one's support forum to see what some of the common issues are and how well the developers respond to them.

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,090
    I'd say neither.
    Unless your target audience for this new forum is oldschool forumgoers browsing mostly from computers (phpbb might suit better), you might want to consider current-gen mobile-first scripts like nodebb as well. Theyre free from legacy cruft, really lightweight to navigate and their interfaces are free from distractions so users can focus on the content.

6. overcast

overcast Aspirant

+5
    I'd avoid adding more burden to core WordPress database. I'd separate the database by integrating the mybb, SMF or other forum software with WordPress theme. This is one reason I recently added one Fluxxbb forum to WordPress theme. It worked and looks pretty much part of the blog. You may want to try that too.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.