Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  2. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Any comments? Feedback? :D

3. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+131
    It's a good article. I agree with a lot of the things you have mentioned in here. Thank you for sharing the info :)

4. ccs

ccs Aspirant

+1
    The part of taking a break from your forum was good. I found myself invisible and reloading to see if there were any new guests or sign-ups daily. Usually I let it ride by itself on the weekends. Especially long weekends or holidays, I know to enjoy friends and the weather instead of staying inside to see who is logging in or viewing pages. Sometimes you just got to step away and enjoy your life:tiphat:

5. Jijo

Jijo Fan

+0
    At one point of time, the article saved me from closing down my forum :D

6. navjotjsingh

navjotjsingh Neophyte

+0
    Nice Article...Good for me...since its just 15 days I started my own community. Let me see how far it goes.

7. etc

etc Adherent

+0
    Nice one! Love your posting :D

8. oninuva

oninuva Enthusiast

+0
    cool great stuff... THanks

9. msimplay

msimplay Aspirant

+1
    This is an excellent article thank you :)

10. Basto

Basto Forum Expert

+0
    Fantastic article, very nice thanks a lot this and the emoticon articles are great :)

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Resident Mancunian

+31
    Not something I need to use personally but this should be really helpful to new administrators, a lot of it something we've had to learn the hard way. I think all of your articles are really very helpful and something I would have loved to see as a new admin, harishankar. Great work.

12. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Thanks everybody for your appreciation! :D I genuinely love writing such articles and your responses encourage me to write more :)

13. Aussieart

Aussieart Enthusiast

+0
    I love the part about not hogging the limelight and stepping back and letting others post :tiphat: Really good article, I'm definately guilty of visiting every day and posting too much at times.

14. DodgeFB

DodgeFB Fanatic

+3
    harishankar I sure hope you write more. I not only like them, I need them.:)

15. Jane

Jane Aspirant

+0
    harishanker,
    Thanks for a great article. I know I am guilty of hogging the limelight at times. I definitely needed this reminder right now.

16. CrimsonX

CrimsonX FF Fanatic

+0
    thanks for posting this it helped me realize some of the things I was doing wrong such as plastering the forums with empty topics...

17. RoboPanda

RoboPanda Aspirant

+0
    Thanks for this article. The part about forums being dead is really inspirational

18. DarkHalo

DarkHalo Aspirant

+1
    Something that we have done in my forum thats a little different is the admins and moderators are anonymous. They are regular members but only do their official duties as "moderator1" or "admin2" etc. The reason is to remove personalities and egos from the equation. Plus its a political discussion site with conservatives and progressives so we dint want members to be able to accuse us of favoring one side or the other due to the mods political orientation. The staff doesn't participate in any discussion threads except as it replies specifically to forum policies and procedures. We never ever get involved in flame wars or pissing contests with the members. We do our job in a professional no nonsense style. Initially the members weren't real happy about this moderating style but we now have 500 members and theyve accepted it as "normal".

19. Belak

Belak Enthusiast

+1
    Ok, this is good for forums that are officially open, and I know I tend to start most of the topics in my forum, and I know I have, by far the most posts, however we aren't really officially open yet. We allow membership and posting, but we are still in devolpment and de-buggery stages before being fully open.

Some of the topics I post are left blank, but plenty are taken up. We have a mean of 3.7 posts per topic, which of course means some are doing way better then others.

I am posting this here, because I hadn't thought of any of what I've said above as a problem yet, but I was wondering if anyone did after reading your artical.

20. blossom

blossom Aspirant

+0
    Im really glad i read this article thanks......my forum is small atm it does have some active regular posters but not many new topic makers which can be hard on the Admin.. sometimes its slow and i do get a bit disheartened but this has made me feel better ty......i guess its all about patience

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.