Show me Your Woltlab Burning board

Discussion in 'WoltLab Burning Board' started by tbofram, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Yes, it's simply called 'Popup' and it's very flexible :)

You can set its size, color, location on the page, and modify its behavior. Using its default values, you can just have it just pop up with whatever message you want, but using HTML you can add active links and include content or actions that will take users in pre-defined areas of the site etc.

2. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,492
  3. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Thank you! :) It's still a work in progress.

4. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,492
    Nit a big fan of dark styles/themes...they look too dark and such, but you added some light color to it. It really does a wonder to dark themes.

5. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Yes, you are correct, and I agree that a too dark theme is imposing, distracting, and it could actually makes it hard for some people too read (the infamous white text on black background). I decided to give the site a darker frame b,ut leave the areas where you actually interact the most (reading, browsing forums, and posting) clear and lighter.

6. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,326
    Wow! A couple great looking forums on WBB. Truly a great showcase of what's possible with the script.
    Nicely done mKeRix and Curious George. Welcome to TAZ btw :)

J.

7. Rasty

Rasty Fan

+471
    Care to link to where one could get that add-on?

Really nice site also.

8. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Thanks! :)

Of course, I don't mind. I recently registered to this board and haven't checked all the forums rules to know if posting links from other boards/site is not allowed, but since you asked, I believe it is.

Popup add-on is by Cls-design

They are a group of quite talented German devs who create and sell styles and plugins for WBB (both 3.x and 4.x versions). The site is mostly in German, although they do speak English and provide support in it, as I was glad to discover when I needed help.

Unfortunately, at the moment of checking their site to past the link here, I saw that it is closed for maintenance and it will reopen tomorrow around noon EU time, which is around 3am here Mountain time.

9. Rasty

Rasty Fan

+471
    I already have a couple of their plugins and they do quality work. Their gallery extension is great.

10. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Indeed it is, and frankly speaking, they make some of the most eye-candy themes for wbb :D

In addition, not only is their support area devoted to help those who need it, but it also a place where devs and other customers alike help and guide you toward deeply modifying and customizing your theme, as I was glad to discover :)

11. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+389
    Thats a nice looking board.

The more I see of WBB the more impressed I am with it.

12. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Thank you all for your compliments!

Among may other reasons, I chose WBB also because it's quite the flexible platform that allows deep customizations on many levels, so the creative mind can really have fun with it :)

13. PoetJC

+5,326
    That's what I noticed. Not only have you managed to customize the look of WBB (which you've done quite nicely btw) -- but you have so many functionality enhancements seemlessly integrated into the script as well. I'm not too familiar with WBB - so I don't know if this comment will seem silly. But I really think your Gallery, Downloads and Marketplace are nicely done. I'd think it makes for a nicely done SITE as opposed to a forum-only type of user experience.

J.

14. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Many thanks :) In order to customize my forum that way took me several hours of tedious CSS modifications and additions, but I'm overall pleased with the results so far. When I will have more time, I will further try to further polish it; I want to frame the forum pages with even content (in order to be more symmetrical), but since some of the content is actually dynamic and depends on forum activity, it will take some more work, but I enjoy it.

You are spot on when you say that I tried not to end up with a board that looked like a stereotypical forum-type. Not to mention that in spite of being a gaming forum, I didn't want it to show some crazy (and too nerdy for my own taste) theme having cannons, explosions, and battlefields. I envisioned something a bit more somber, intuitive, and cohesive. So far, I've gotten positive feedback, but a big part of the merit goes to wbb system, which is an ideal platform for theme-modding, and it's user-friendly.

The HELP section is actually wbb Blog add-on, which for the time being I masked as read-only area where people find various infos and how-to that I add as needed.

I have other ideas in mind to further polish and modify the site's looks, but I always need to keep an eye on page's weight and loading time. Not mention that I wouldn't want pages to be too over-crowded.

15. PoetJC

+5,326
    Nice post. You've piqued my interest when yo say it's an ideal platform for theme-modding. So - now you're making me want to go get a WBB license to play around with. And Whoa! Just finished a quick browse of https://www.woltlab.com/purchase/?products[]=com.woltlab.wbb --- $89. Are you serious?! THAT'S interesting. I'd have thought it more expensive...

J.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Grazie :)

And yes, if you compare wbb's own forum and my site you'll see that mine went through deep face-lifting, which the platform allows. And the price is also appealing, even more if juxtaposed to other more expensive solutions.

17. Sherrie

Sherrie Fan

+555
    Don't buy a license yet, give the beta for 4.1 a try it's free then buy 4.1 when it is released which should be soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  18. Anubis

Anubis Cave Canem

+52
    Definitely it's worth giving 4.1 a try. I installed it locally with xampp to play with and discover the new features. However, be aware that as of now, most themes available for 4.0.x won't work with 4.1 yet.

But playing with the beta could be a good starting place where familiarize yourself with how and where to modify templates's css and style sheets on this platform.

• List
  19. PoetJC

+5,326
    Ha! If I had the spare cash - I'd definitely have bought a WBB license this evening. Alas... The cash....
    "Oh Cash, Cash. Wherefore art thou Cash?..." [​IMG]

Perhaps one day soon though.

J.

20. Sherrie

Sherrie Fan

+555
    The beta seems pretty stable, if you go to woltlabs forum it is running the current beta. It's not like vbulletin software! So I would give the beta a try, it's free until April so a good way to try before you buy :)

• List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.