Should WordPress give up on BBPress/BuddyPress?

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by cheat_master30, Jun 13, 2017.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+884
    Because at the end of the day, both scripts have much better competition than the 'official' WordPress ones do, and I'm not quite sure why they're trying so hard to reinvent the wheel with them.

For example, they could promote WPForo to the 'official' WordPress forum plugin instead, since it's far in front of BBPress in terms of features and style and generally seems to do everything better than Automattic's attempt. Same with stuff like WPDiscuz and WordPress.com's comment plugin. The former is simply far more powerful and far better in terms of aesthetics.

So what do you think? Should the guys behind WordPress/at Automattic just give up on their 'official' plugins and replace them with better alternatives by the community? Or do you think stuff like BBPress could actually get somewhere meaningful at some point?

2. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+49
    always good to have some alternatives and options for people to choose from.. keeps the good ones honest so to speak.. :) :)

3. gCon

gCon Aspirant

+13
    Agree!
    I love wpForo and wpDiscuz. We work close with gVectors Team and they do really great job!
    I think the base replacement would be:
    1. bbPress to wpForo
    2. Comments to wpDiscuz
    3. BuddyPress to Ultimate Members or wpForo Profile

These three changes will make WordPress better, modern, powerful and Social Community Friendly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Mardaki

Mardaki Neophyte

+0
    Thanks for sharing

5. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+109
    I've actually seen BBPress look REALLY good. Somebody knowledgable with CSS can make BBPress look like what we're used to with XF and VB type scripts. If they could just make that easier for the every day user, BBPress could be sufficient for most uses... I've been using BuddyPress for awhile and it's pretty good. Not the best, but considering how easy it is to install, get started - and for the price - it's nice...

6. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+786
    I don't think they should give up, the number of searches for wordpress and bbpress would show that there is a large demand for it still.

7. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+210
    Check out the plugin called XenWord It's a wordpress Xenforo bridge and its 1000x more advanced than any of the wordpress plugins. You can see it on my new website https://www.themcnation.com.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted