Should vB addon makers move to TAZ ?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Digital Doctor, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,755
    If I was an addon maker for vB 3/4 I think I'd move my addons away from vB.org

Should we make a home here at TAZ ?

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+236
    I plan to eventually make my vB products available here, however removing them from vBorg is not in my plans. I don't want to penalize the community there (any more than marking them as unsupported) for something with which they had no part. That being said, I respect the decision of each individual to choose how they want to go about it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Adherent

+216
    Already removed them from org. Yes, I do agree, that letting them there, will helps users. But from the other side, the company will says "Nothing bad happen. We stepped down all staff, but still the site works fine like before". Noway and sorry if I appear rude.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    At some point, I'll move mine somewhere, not sure yet exactly where.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,354
    If or when, do you have concerns about unlicensed users obtaining the plugins?

6. MarkFL

+236
    I know this was addressed to Paul, but I wanted to answer as well. With my products appearing on several warez sites, presumably uploaded there by a licensed vB user against my express wishes, it's not really a concern for me, in that there's not much I can do about it.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,354
    Oh, I definitely understand that but what effects do you think it could have opening up the floodgates (for TAZ as the title suggest moving things here)?

8. MarkFL

+236
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't know but I see adding my products here, along with support, as simply contributing to the TAZ community. If unscrupulous people with illegal versions of vB find my products here and use them, I see no difference between that and those same users finding my work at a warez site. The only difference is here, they will get support, and I have generally found that providing support results in my products being more robust, which will benefit everyone using my products.

I honestly see vB product developers offering their work here as a win for TAZ. It may benefit some who are running illegal software, but I would guess the majority benefiting here are users with valid licenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,619
    Creators moving their mods here certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, but one thing that I think everyone needs to realize is that the vB modding community isn't something that would miraculously revive from doing so - the glory days of vB and vB modding are long gone, and they'll soon enough just be nostalgic memories.

TAZ will never be able to replace the vB community that IB sent toppling down.

10. MarkFL

+236
    Yes, I would never expect offering my products anywhere else to be as useful to the vB community as it was at vBorg. But since IB has shat all over vBorg with their incredibly stupid decision to remove Paul as site leader, I really feel I have no other choice if I wish to maintain my integrity. I know I'm repeating myself here, but I do not agree with otherwise invisible entities taking administrative actions on a site with which I will be associated in any official capacity.

But, my desire to contribute to the vB community has not diminished and since TAZ caters to forum owners, and is run with integrity, it is only natural that I want to offer my product support here. :D

11. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Adherent

+216
    Let's have a bit fun with sad situations like this :) ..... For sure I don't support the use of warez sites. But at least 3 times they "helped me" to find there some of my mods for vB3 that I've lost.o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    Honestly, no.

I provide add-ons for people who run vbulletin sites, its not my place to worry about how legal their site is.

As Mark also noted above, you can find them on tons of warez sites already, its not anything I could control.

13. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,653
    IF vB decides to offer license validation functionality we'd be happy to use it here, just as we do for XenForo.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted