Should i purchase ips4

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Thank you all for your helpful replies.Should i buy & install ipb 3 and once IPS 4 has been released is it possible to upgrade to IPS4 without paying for the upgrade ( i think if ips4 going to released within in next 6 months it'll be free).Maybe i'm wrong got another question : Will IPS4 include all plugins like download,gallery or will they still sale them as an extra ?

Your license is always active so you may use it always but after 6 months you'll need to pay the renewal fee to receive updates. IPB3.4 is a good starting point when IPB4 is stable and runs a few months you can start updating your site to it but you will need a license that can download the updates is this within 6 months of buying IPB 3.4 then you can access it after that time you will need to pay the renewal fee.

All other add-ons like IP.Content (IP.Pages in IPB4), IP.Downloads, IP.Blogs, IP.Gallery and Nexus (IP.Commerce in IPB4) need to be bought and you will pay a renewal fee for them its 105 dollars per 6 months when you have all add-ons, without Nexus it 70 dollars.

PacMan

Tazmanian
Thank you all for your helpful replies.Should i buy & install ipb 3 and once IPS 4 has been released is it possible to upgrade to IPS4 without paying for the upgrade ( i think if ips4 going to released within in next 6 months it'll be free).Maybe i'm wrong got another question : Will IPS4 include all plugins like download,gallery or will they still sale them as an extra ?

With IPB4 right around the corner, it may be better to wait for IPB4 rather than install IPB3 and then upgrade to IPB4.

Joel R

Habitué

Yes, the policy is that you have access to any downloads as long as your license is active. It's a risk, though, if you don't update or they don't release v4 within your renewal timeframe.

If you know, though, that you're going to use v4.x, then you might want to go ahead and start with the Release Candidates. They're already available to IPS customers.

IPS 4 will most likely still be sold per application, although their pricing model might change. (It's my opinion that their pricing WILL change they've completely changed their framework to be IP.Core + apps. In v3.c, you buy IP.Board + apps.)

You should ask these questions in the official IPS company forums. TAZ is not a substitute for official representation, especially on questions of pricing and licensing.

Last edited:

PacMan

Tazmanian

As IPS4 is a major overhaul, expect to see many releases to fix bugs this year. Therefore, you probably will need to renew every 6 months in order to get the latest fixes.

FlyCode

Neophyte
Thanks again to all.I went ahead and purchased IPB.I want to migrate from xf to ips4 once i've seen IPS4 stable.

simonweb

Aspirant
I'm asking me everyday to purchase the new ip board but can't decide.So the question is should i purchase ips4 i'm very impressed and it looks good for me.

Sure, why not? In my opinion IPB is the best forum software available. It has top notch apps and the support is excellent (if you decide to pay for the renewals). But wait a bit longer and see if there will be any special deals once IPB 4 has been officially announced.

Thanks again to all.I went ahead and purchased IPB.I want to migrate from xf to ips4 once i've seen IPS4 stable.

Good decision! :tup:

esquire

Habitué
I still haven't heard a reason why you want to buy the product. To me, I try to figure out what is most important to me for a site and make a list. Then I look at the best of breed software that is available and make a decision based upon what is the best fit. Regarding IPS4, I will only say that while I have been enthusiastic about it, there are a number of very significant changes that I think you ought to investigate as to whether they fit for your particular site. There are a number of significant, intentional departures from convention which may be great for you or you may feel otherwise. Evaluating software properly will take time. Many find out the true limitations after they buy, much to their chagrin. If I can help answer questions, glad to do so and I'm sure everyone else here is just as welcoming to try as well.

Oldsmoboi

Fan

Last I saw, IPS was telling users to migrate from XF to 3.4 first and then upgrade to 4.0.

Deathstarr

Forum Owner
I just did a small upgrade on a forum I have yet to open and hate 4. I am not using 4 because I hate the acp and the layout of the forum is bleh even with a new theme it still is bad to me and the new way to do themes are bad also in my eyes.

Brisk

Neophyte

I've been using IPS products for years, and I will say that I've tried out xF, and vBulletin, as well as burning board, etc. and I've always gone back to using IPS.

IPS Licensing is rather simple, when you purchase a basic license (Forum License), you get IP.Board 3.4.x and access to IPS 4.0.x, you can purchase addons such as IP.Content, IP.Nexus, etc, that will be carried over into IPS 4.0, however these addons are separate and do not come with a basic license.

IPS will not charge clients to upgrade their community from 3.4.x to 4.0.x, the standard rates for the license apply, so if you do not upgrade from 4.0.x within 6 months of purchasing the license, you must renew your license in order to do so.