Should I do dropshipping or real estate?

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by Alex Anderson, May 12, 2019.

1. Alex Anderson

Alex Anderson Neophyte

+3
    I'm 15 and I want to become one of those kids who you hear is really up there, talking to business owners about promotions and things like that. It's a big goal, but I believe I can make it with enough work. I've been studying dropshipping a lot for the past year and real estate is something that has come up frequently. I've heard of people doing both, people just doing real estate, and vice versa. Right now, I'm set on dropshipping not because of how people like to call it "easy", but because of the business model itself. There's low upfront costs I that's something I can afford since I only have about $1,300 to spend and even then, my parents are pressuring me to buy a car that I really don't want. I just want a cheap moped and save the rest of the money into making a business because that's what I really want. I figured maybe some of you guys could help point me in the right direction since literally everyone I talk to has no idea what to tell me so I have no idea where to go with this. I would raise more money but community stuff like mowing people's lawns just doesn't work where I live. I've been turned down by pretty much every resident in the area. They probably remember me as the kid who tries to sell you stuff because I'm always knocking on their doors regardless, trying to sell them some candy bars for a school contest to win $100 (I won that), or I'm trying to sell them some cookie dough (I won that also), or I'm trying to wash their car (almost nobody said yes to that like mowing lawns). They only accepted the stuff mandated by the school -_- Dropshipping looks like something I could do and I've already invested lots of time making my brand image look good. I have an Instagram, twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, and pinterest all of which I post daily pictures of home decor stuff because I want to sell home decor products. I had to learn how to use all of them and I still am. All of them except the Instagram one get almost no views but that's okay because I still have faith in it. I created like 5 shopify stores that had a 30 day trial, each time the trial ran out I moved everything over to the next account so I could keep working on my store. It looks pretty decent. I haven't much of any money on this but I plan to soon for some Facebook ads so that maybe I can actually get someone looking at that page lol. If I could learn from someone that would be great, but I don't like the idea of a course because it sounds very sketchy and I've heard many people learning basically nothing from those courses. Youtube has been my main source of info and the more I think about it, the more it sounds sketchy also. That's why I came here to get more advice. I've listened to countless numbers of Youtubers who are dropshipping and I usually only take the information that is consistent between several of them. Now that I'm hearing more about flipping houses for money off of youtube, it makes you wonder. It seems like just another shiny object in the way, but maybe dropshipping has something that I don't know about yet. Over the past year I feel like I've learned everything, but I know theres still more to learn. So, you tell me. What should I do?

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,167
    enthusiasm is contagious, you definitely have that. Once you fall on your face a few times your optimism will start to fade some just keep your chin up and pushing forward.

Focus on school and when opportunities come to you, you will be ready

3. Alex Anderson

Alex Anderson Neophyte

+3
    Thanks for the reply, I hear lots of people saying that it's good to get experience. What do you think about asking for an internship with people in the real estate area around my town? I don't know where you could find people who work on dropshipping businesses otherwise I would ask about that also. The only thing even related to business I could find around town besides stuff like fast food is our college of business in town where I signed up for a summer camp for since this is their second year doing this. First year was pretty fun, I learned basic business stuff from experienced business owners. Maybe I could ask them for an internship?

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,447
    Learn to use paragraphs! In all seriousness people shy away from a wall of text because it's so easy to lose your place and concentration if there are no paragraphs. You are likely to get many more replies if you break things up a bit :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Alex Anderson

Alex Anderson Neophyte

+3
    Sorry!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,167
    Success in real estate seems to be quite broad, near me a few people are really successful doing it and others can't hold a real job and have their own real estate businesses instead. So i really cannot judge that...like most things... there is money in it but you will need to cling to someone that is good to learn the ropes.

Bad thing about drop shipping is you are not doing anything that someone else can't do, most drop shippers take turns cutting each others throats while fighting MAP pricing models. Obviously the brick and mortar consumer market is drying up that will even further clutter the drop shipping business.

If you really are at a clean slate and want your own business, find a way to turn someone else waste into your raw material....

https://recycledfirefighter.com
    https://rubiesintherubble.com

Read: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/290996

7. Alex Anderson

Alex Anderson Neophyte

+3
    I like the idea, but it seems like something you'd need millions in dollars to achieve. I'm not great at science, more of a mathematics person, and it seems like you'd need a big factory for that kind of stuff to even take the stuff out and form it into something else. Is that what all these people do? Or are they doing it man made using chemicals I would assume? Also, thanks for replying again!

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  8. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,167
    this approach you do not need a lot of money to start the fire fighter is still working out of his garage

Your raw materials are FREE because they are waste and the companies are just glad to get rid of it... in some cases corporations pay to have someone take their waste... like wooden pallets and other companies who are paid to take them find away to make something out of it and its a win win... not to mention in an over populated world finding new ways to reuse waste is about the most solid business you can dream of.

9. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+144
    After my friend's job at Lenovo was outsourced to India, he set up a drop shipping business for Amazon and was actually doing great. He was busy and making decent money (I think over 3k a month). Sometimes he'd be able to buy stuff at Walmart and sell it for a dollar more on Amazon (Hatchimals were huge for this) and scaling would mean big profits. He had a special license to resell all these major brands and was doing everything right and by the book.

Then one day someone falsely reported him for sending them counterfeit products and Amazon closed his store. He tried to appeal but getting through to a human was almost impossible and the appeal was denied. He lost his main source of income over a single fake report that maybe came from a competing drop-shipper...

So keep in mind that Amazon is a faceless, uncaring mega-corporation who will destroy its faithful partners like it's nothing because there's always some new person to take their place.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    Dropshipping is risky in that most those who try compete against other merchants on thin margins, and cannot offer better deals than big stores like Amazon and Newegg.

Consider in general wether you'd rather have a high number of 'cheapskate' clients, or make the same profit from selling to a less thrifty audience. The later is a lot easier to manage, especially if you compete leveraging added value services. Most importantly, only grow as big as you can handle and learn to improve your processes along the way.

11. overcast

overcast Adherent

+70
    At 15, I'd take some sort of internship with the people who are doing either one of them. i.e. dorpshipping and real estate. Find out both by working under some. After work decide which one is right for you.

12. JoyGoRound

JoyGoRound Aspirant

+4
    Hey, you still have some valuable time to lean all you can about real estate. I would definitely take advantage of your young age to learn all you can. There are many facets in that business. If my son were asking me this question, I would push him towards being a real estate expert!
    Take care.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.