Domain Name(s) Should I change my URL?

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by Tommy Huynh, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tommy Huynh

Tommy Huynh Aspirant

+4
    My current URL: http://galdaval.com

It's a community dedicated to a game, Phantasy Star Online. I saw that PhantasyStarOnline.co is available and thinking of snagging it up.

Should I go ahead and change the domain while the forum is still fresh? I'm thinking in terms of SEO, and directing people to the forum. Gal da Val is an area in the game, which is a cool reference. My only worry is that I don't want SEGA to come after me, LOL. But none of us are receiving profit or anything, this is just a passion project for all of us. Private game servers have been up for years now...

Thoughts? and thanks in advance.

2. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+81
    domain name really has nothing to do with SEO nowdays... well not so much that its going to matter in your case anyway...

just keep it. :)

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+643
    Domains are cheap. Buy the .co and redirect, see if it makes a difference when deciding to renew after the first year.

4. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+186
    One and done. Great advice for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. Check on those renewal costs first though as they can sting.

5. Elliot02

Elliot02 Aspirant

+8
    I never thought of that, that's incredible advice.

6. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+643
    Bit almost always worth it to hedge against the potential missed-opportunity cost.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted