Should I buy vbulletin?

Valadilene

Neophyte
hey guys! :)

I'm at a crossroads. I've heard lots of positive feedback with XenForo. I've been playing with the idea to buy a VB5 licence just to use VB4.

So I'm looking for your opinion. should I use XenForo or VB4?

Thanks in advance guys :)

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
If I were doing it today it is very likely I would go with XF for a fresh, new install for a new site. But if you do go with vB, yes definitely stay far away from version 5.

rudedog

Jim
Stay far far away from anything vB.

I would go with xF or maybe one of the other fine (working) forum scripts out there. But don't encourage vB by buying a terrible piece of software (vB5) because it's the only way to get the old version that kind of works (vB4). You really don't know how long they will be band aid fixing vB4. Get yourself something that is updated, modern and working out of the box.

zappaDPJ

vBulletin 4 and XenForo are both worthy products but with the exception of some minor compatibility updates vBulletin 4 is no longer being developed so you should take that factor into consideration. You are right to dismiss vBulletin 5, I'd certainly steer clear of that one. Both companies offer demo sites so you could try before you buy. You also might want to take a look at Woltlab's Burning Board, that appears to be quite popular with some forum owners at the moment.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
vBulletin 4 and XenForo are both worthy products but with the exception of some minor compatibility updates vBulletin 4 is no longer being developed so you should take that factor into consideration. You are right to dismiss vBulletin 5, I'd certainly steer clear of that one. Both companies offer demo sites so you could try before you buy. You also might want to take a look at Woltlab's Burning Board, that appears to be quite popular with some forum owners at the moment.

I agree

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
- From their interaction elsewhere, are your users most familiar with 'the vb experience', and expecting it ?
- Does vb(4) fit your needs? If you've yet to evaluate it, better do before you decide.
- are there any addons you really want that are exclusive to either forum script? Research if alternatives are not available.

mrbill

Enthusiast
I purchased my Vb4 license years ago, before Vb5 and the huge uproar over the product. I only recently brought it to life with much time and a fair amount of money.

My question: If I decide to switch to XF sometime down the road, is this difficult and expensive. I have about 10 DBT mods on it so I think that would be a huge headache. I'm getting a migraine just thinking about it....: (

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
I've been playing with the idea to buy a VB5 licence just to use VB4.
That's a terrible Idea.
I could give you one or two of my vBulletin 4 licenses.
But I wouldn't feel right steering you in the wrong direction.

vBulletin is a train wreck. Don't hop on board.

It's Xenforo vs WBB, or wait for IPB4.
Depends on your needs.

Please keep in mind you have seemingly provided almost no information.
If you want actual help ... outline your current plans with more detail and specific suggestions can be given.

The short story is probably this:
if you want a forum based site .. xenforo is the way to go.
if you want a community that is more than just a forum .... WBB or Xenforo are good choices.
if you aren't in a rush, and want more than just a forum .. consider IPB4.

IPB3, vB4, vB5 should be avoided. vB4 and IPB3 may have niche situations where they could be fine choices ... but unlikely.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master

I'm at a crossroads. I've heard lots of positive feedback with XenForo. I've been playing with the idea to buy a VB5 licence just to use VB4.

Tough decision for me to answer. I want to encourage you to go with vB4.

But, as stated in this thread, vB4 is only getting some minor bug fixes and PHP compatibility updates. So the vB4 version is basically stagnant on a development level. Upgrading eventually to vB5, it it was to be at this stage in the game, I would not do it. Sure it has made some major improvements since it was released, but that was two and a half years ago. IMO it has a long way to go before I would use it. Then there is the lack of mods for vB5, most users are not going to run a basic out of the box setup.

So on that note, I would lean towards XenForo. It is fresh, and is being actively developed. There is a downside to this as well though. Sometime XF 2.0 is going to be released. Now it is said that the current mods are not going to work in the newer version. So if you have alot of mods installed, this could prevent you from upgrading, or cost you even more money as the developers make their mods compatible with the newer version, and charge for such compatibility.

It's a really tough call at this stage of the game.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
I purchased my Vb4 license years ago, before Vb5 and the huge uproar over the product. I only recently brought it to life with much time and a fair amount of money.

My question: If I decide to switch to XF sometime down the road, is this difficult and expensive. I have about 10 DBT mods on it so I think that would be a huge headache. I'm getting a migraine just thinking about it....: (

As DD said, what mods are you running on your site?

Sherrie

Fan
This decision is a no brainer really, vB4 is just not worth it. If I was going to go through the effort of a major change or a new forum I would go straight for something new and current with today's standards such as Woltlab Burning Board or Xenforo, both of these are responsive out of the box, so you will not have issues with Google changes regarding mobile devices. I migrated my vB4 forum to WBB and I'm very glad I did.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
vB4 mobile style is perfectly fine with Google regarding mobile devices.

Caleb Luca

Aspirant

I'm actually looking to move up from Free software to paid and I actually sort of like Vbulletin myself. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Vbulletin 5 but from the sites I've seen that use it, it looks like a pretty nice. But I am probably going to use Vbulletin 4 as I like the look of it.

I see a lot of people use Xenforo as well and it is quite popular but it is not something I'd want to purchase personally. Have you given thought to Burning Board or IP Board? IP Board is a close second for me to move up from free software like SMF

mrbill

Enthusiast
As DD said, what mods are you running on your site?

The DBT mods I have installed at this time are listed below. I'm still tweaking them. I still have some I have not installed.
Installed:
DBT: VbShout, vBQuiz, Raffles, Forum Ads, Classifieds, Threadmins, PostThanks, CustomNav

Well, crapola. I was planning on launching at the end of April or May.. Your opinion on simply waiting to switch to either XF 2.0 or IPB4? Later would be much better for me. I don't think I can get motivated to switch at this time. My focus over the last 4 months has been learning how to build and manage VBulletin. I'm not young or a programmer. The learning curve has been challenging and lots of fun.

Thanks, guys. Your opinions are well received.

PacMan

Tazmanian
Feature-wise, VB4 is EOL. There are much better options out there.

Caleb Luca

Aspirant
The DBT mods I have installed at this time are listed below. I'm still tweaking them. I still have some I have not installed.
Installed:
DBT: VbShout, vBQuiz, Raffles, Forum Ads, Classifieds, Threadmins, PostThanks, CustomNav

Well, crapola. I was planning on launching at the end of April or May.. Your opinion on simply waiting to switch to either XF 2.0 or IPB4? Later would be much better for me. I don't think I can get motivated to switch at this time. My focus over the last 4 months has been learning how to build and manage VBulletin. I'm not young or a programmer. The learning curve has been challenging and lots of fun.

From what I gather, XF is nowhere 2.0 at the moment So you could be waiting awhile. IPB4 is in RC stage and a Gold release is likely coming in a few months. I'd probably go ahead with IPB 3, if I were you and prepare for the IPB4 upgrade as it comes later this year. Of course, I believe there are many people who are already using IPB4 RC on live sites so you could just as easily do the same as well.

But I don't think it is smart to wait for XF 2.0 especially since it is not even in beta stage presently.

Klaatu

Fan
Installed:

Raffles - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/raffles.2069/ $39
Shoutbox - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/taigachat-pro-realtime-chat-shoutbox.1224/ ~$37 (25 GBP)
Quiz - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/quiz-master.3901/ Free
Forum Ads - Several free and paid add-ons.
Classifieds - Some people use the Resource Manager ($60).
Threadmins - This maybe? https://xenforo.com/community/resources/infisjsc-topic-starters-permissions.24/ Free
PostThanks - Built-in.
CustomNav - Brivium sells an add-on for $15, but I'd read the several threads posted here about them before buying anything.

So you're looking at spending up to $300 for the XF license and the add-ons you need for your forum. It's been hinted that XF 2.0 might include a built-in navigation manager.

Infinity

Aspirant
First of all, IPB 3 is just as modern as Xenforo 1.X so that above user is ridiculous.

Your choices are
1. IPB 3
2. Xenforo 1.X
3. Wait for Xenforo 2.0 to come, god knows when
4. Wait for IPB4
5. Woltlab Burning Board 4.1

If you're considering Xenforo, strongly look at Woltlab Burning board as they are quite similar and Burning Board is half the price with more features.

For alternatives to your mods you use

1. VBshout:

Taigachat Pro on Xenforo
IP Chat on IPB
Tim's Chat on WBB

IP chat is probably the best of the solution because it is something you just install and don't have to worry about it affecting your server as it is properly maintained by IPS. It's a 1st party product made BY IPS.

2. Quiz Mod

I can't find a Quiz System for WBB but both Xenforo and IPB have quiz systems.

3. Raffles

Xenforo and IPB both have Raffle mods. I cant seem to find one for WBB. However the IPB appears to be cheaper(and the developer is active on the forums) as well as it also ties into other apps/add-ons if you wish to use it with other features, I believe.

4. Forum Ads

Not quite sure what this is but IPb and Xenforo both appear to have mods for this.

5. Threadmins

Topic Starter's Rights in Xenforo and Topic Moderator in IPB

6. Post Thanks

Isn't that just another way of liking a post? Which WBB, Xenforo, and IPB can do.

There is an annoying add-on for both Xenforo and IPB that allows you to 'rate' posts. It's called Post Ratings on Xenforo and IPB it is called Content Rating.

IPB has a bit more flexibility built-in. It has a like mod and a reputation system where you can choose Positive only OR Positive/Negative reputation. I believe in IPB4 they expand on this even more as well.

7. Custom Nav
Not sure about this one

8. Classifieds

There is no classifieds mod for Xenforo, I believe. I think, like with most of Xenforo, there are certain mods you can buy and tweak to sort of do the job. But I wouldn't want to go through that trouble.

IPB however has a well supported classifieds mod that not only ties into the forum itself but also into other IP Apps you may decide to partner with it, such as IP nexus.

All in all, I recommend IPB over Xenforo. But if you're set on Xenforo, i'd recommend going Burning Board over Xenforo.