Shawn's Newbie JavaScript Questions

Discussion in 'Programming Languages' started by Shawn Gossman, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,942
    I kept seeing the treehouse commercials on youtube and decided to join it. I'd essentially like to know more about programming as I constantly have ideas but no good way of making things happen on my own.

My question to you expert programmers of TAZ is, with alert and prompt javascripts, can I customize the box that pops up?

Like for example, lets say I have a website. When I member creates an account, after they confirm it, they are brought to their member homepage. The homepage is supposed to print out Hello, their name on the header area of the page but they haven't completed that profile field yet. So can I make it to where a JS box appears using alert/prompt and customize that box with my own colors, styles, images and tell them they haven't inputted a name yet and provide a link to the area for them to do so?

Might be newbie questions here but I am just trying to understand if I am getting this stuff :p

2. Shawn Gossman

+1,942
    I changed the title because I got more questions :p

console.log, is this something just specifically related to the browser or can I make it to where whatever is inputted or action done by a user, console.log will add it to an actual log? Like an error log?

3. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+469
    AFAIK, that alert box is actually handled by a call to the OS of the computer that the browser is running on—you can determine the content, but nothing else.

4. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+474
    You would need some sort of JavaScript library for that, like jQuery UI.
    It's possible to do by hand, but it's alot of work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Shawn Gossman

+1,942
    Doing this would be easier then? Would I just install this on my server or just add it into a directory or something like that?

6. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes GoodForNothing Coder

+74
    the console object is the browsers' javascript console. console.log is used to check if the necessary values are given/parsed... to log an error you'll have to call console.error();. This is mainly used for debugging purpose.

7. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,958
  8. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+353
    On sidenote because alert(), prompt() and confirm() are handled completely by browser, they may offer more native experience to users on phones and tablets than custom UI.

9. s.molinari

+1,958
    But it is a poor UI for the desktop. Wouldn't you say?

Scott

10. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+353
    I'm actually liking them, but on Mavericks it looks like every browser does them their way, so saying "I'm liking way Chrome does them" is more in place..

11. s.molinari

+1,958
    Actually, Chrome is the one I like least. Lol. I guess it is a matter of taste.:)

Scott

12. Sim

Sim Coder/Designer

+196
    They all suck, I would go the AzarealAzareal route if you wanted pretty pop ups ;]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.