Server errors...

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Floyd R Turbo, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/errors-related-to-bounce-handler.132325

Need help. Any thoughts

Bounce handler throwing errors, can't connect
    Gravatar throwing errors
    Google API fails when creating events (xenatendo 2)

Logs in the XF thread

Server/host admin doesn't see any issues in logs

All started on Tuesday ~9pm on both XF installs on same server.

No changes made in ACP for weeks

No changes to server made

Can someone tell me where the XF server log list actually gets filed/placed on the server? Is it placed in a file or in a table in the database?

2. media412

media412 Professional Lurker

+5
    I believe its actually in the database, xf_error_log IIRC. Seems like something that should get mirrored to a file at the very least.

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,886
    As I mentioned over on the XF site... almost guaranteed it's a firewall/routing issue.
    The XF logs are typically kept in the DB.

4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,410
    What host is it connecting too ?

Try specifying the host IP in whatever config file you use, rather than the domain, that will rule out dns issues.

5. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    Paul MPaul M do you mean the email host name in the XF ACP?

I could try that. But a DNS issue would not explain why XF can't connect to gravatar via SSL, but the web admin can connect to it via command line without issue. Or how google API fails when trying to schedule an event. Or why XenPushover isn't working at all

These have to be related. But nothing is bubbling up to the surface

The firewall/routing issue seems possible. I'm waiting to hear back on that track

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,810
    I agree, I've seen similar errors particularly when ModSecurity rules have been changed.

7. Tracy Perry

+2,886
    Nice thing about nginx... not used! :cool:

8. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    Thanks Tracy PerryTracy Perry & zappaDPJzappaDPJ the help is appreciated

I'll have to add checking mod security settings. What's weird is that it changed server wide.

Also when I checked the logs entries in ACP for one site, the gravatar errors were as many as 4/min (90+ pages of errors). The email addresses did not match any in the users list = bot spammers. The other site, which had mainly bounce emails address errors used another layer of anti spam which apparently is disallowing spam bots from getting to the point of checking the email for a gravatar. But, any successful registrations (actual people) have thrown that gravatar error.

Would some kind of WHM or cPanel automatic upgrade have affected mod security settings in a way that would block XenPushover, google API, etc?

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,810
    It could have, depending on the set up involved. It could be that virtual patching has updated the rule set which is causing false positives to occur.

10. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    This is really starting to get frustrating. In 4+ years of monkeying with XF, WHM, cPanel, etc, never had anything like this happen.

Web admin can get out via command line to gravatar. No blocked ports. No server errors apparent. Everyone here saying it's a server thing. Server side saying nothing is showing up

11. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    Just for purposes of covering all bases, here is the only thing the host admin found:

12. Tracy Perry

+2,886
    What version of PHP? Is there an updated version out for it?

13. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
  14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,614
    Can you change it temporarily to 7.x ?

15. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    Probably, but why would this be the cause of the current issues? Everything was running fine for months with no changes, then all of the sudden these errors started in on both sites at the same time. I wouldn't think it would be related but what do I know....

16. Tracy Perry

+2,886
    To see if it IS a PHP version error. It's a process of elimination sometimes.

17. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+433
    I started getting similar errors just recently. I posted about it on Xenforo, but never got a reply. I also opened a ticket with KnownHost, where I am using a dedicated server on PHP7.x. They changed the PHP handler to CGI and I have gotten no more errors since.

18. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    So I also have a 3rd forum on the same server, vanilla install (private board) and same things were happening, but to a lesser extent due to no traffic.

I bumped the PHP version on that install (1.5.14) to 7.0 and got the 'an unexpected database error has occurred" message. Same with 7.1.

Here are the php handler settings

phphandlers.JPG
    Everything is running on ea-php56 by default

phpversions.JPG

Except for the one, which you will notice is php55. When I switched the 3rd forum to php55, the bounce handler started working.

I didn't want to switch php56 to the cgi handler as that would affect all domains, and I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to not break things. But at least this narrows down the issue

19. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+150
    xenpushover started working
    gravatar checking stopped throwing errors
    XenAtendo 2 events creation stopped throwing the google API error

Either the handler got changed from cgi to dso (not likely, I think it was dso to start) or something changed the way dso handled things, this is out of my league but changing to php55 (which runs via cgi) was like flipping a switch on all 3 boards, everything is working again.

So now I throw this out there to those in the know...anyone have a possible explanation now that this is pinned down? I'm really very interested. Also I can't be the only one affected by this.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted