Selling merch on your site/forum...?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by PoetJC, Jun 21, 2019.

1. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,322
    Who sells merchandise on the websites/forums?

I've created some 30+ items that I'll be selling on my forum as a means of generating revenue and supporting the community with continue enhancements/upgrades/XF licensing/etc...

I wonder how many other have done such a thing.
    If you have - can you please share which scripts you used to power your store?

I've created some items partnered with Printful and am going to use Etsy as the checkout storefront, posting the items for sale in the XF Resources Manager.

An couple example products:

pillow-everybody-say-love_mockup_Front-Lifestyle-1_Indoors-Lifestyle_18x18.jpg
    Everybody Say Love TransPride! pillow [front]

pillow-everybody-say-love_mockup_Back-Lifestyle-1_Indoors-Lifestyle_18x18.jpg
    Everybody Say Love TransPride! pillow [back]

towel-transheart_Beach_Beach_30x60_White.jpg
    Trans Pride Heart towel

All the graphics I'll use for these design will be my own.
    I'm hoping that the community will have some interest in purchasing, as quite a few indicated there's an interest anyway.

Anyone else doing similar?
    And how have your results been?

Thanks,

J.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+952
    That reminds me, I started building a merch shop for one of my sites a month or two back and forgot to finish it! I need to finish the designs.

Using Woocommerce and Printful. I just put the wordpress install in a /shop folder and linked to it in the Nav bar. No account sharing between XF and WP.

3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,440
    I have done t-shirts and stuff --- I wont use those fulfillment companies because their product quality is usually garbage, prices are high and my profit margin ends up too little.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+952
    I agree it's very difficult to have good value stuff with decent margins with those companies. I just don't have the space, time or up front cash to be storing and shipping limited runs of stock that may end up shoved in a box and forgotten about.

5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    I do the same, with the same companies, as R0binHood. Only difference is my main site is IPS.

I do it on a local site, and for now the mech serves as more of a site advertisement than a revenue generator.

6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,154
    Etsy's good for branding, especially if you ride on trending actuality and memes.

But personally? I find selling physical goods to a worldwide audience too troublesome to bother with, mainly due to the low volumes and the fact most vendors take a disproportionate percentage from sales. Back us regularly on patreon or once with a premium membership and you can have designs to print locally for your own use.
    Better yet, give money without expecting or asking for goods with a production cost. Selling goods is nice when it works but you need the revenue stream to be sustained, not a onetime purchase (since one cant expect buyers to keep buykng even more goods - at this point immaterial services could work better).

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,440
    • List
  8. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,322
    Thanks for the posts you guys.

I'm definitely a Woocommerce fan and started to go that route actually.
    Question: How is the integration of Woocommerce with Printful. And is it an automated sort of thing or is it when folks purchase items from your Woocommerce install that they are taken to Printful as the checkout? Can you explain a bit more how the integration works and whether it might be a better option than listing on Etsy? Although ... Etsy does come with SEO right out-of-the box for a bit more exposure. Their pricing to list & relist is very reasonable in my opinion. Just curious about alternatives.

Nice article. Gives me a few ideas actually.
    Thanks!

J.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+952
    I think there's multiple ways of setting it up. You can have it so that it's fully automated and orders get passed straight into the Printful system. Or it can be setup so the Woo Orders get pushed into the printful system and then you have to manually approve them.

The thing I find kind of frustrating is the shipping costs can really add up if order multiple items that need to be shipped from different warehouses. Means the total shipping cost can get a bit silly for what you would think would all fit in one small box if they were picked and packed properly instead of shipped sepeartely.

• List
  10. 2dub

2dub Adherent

+39
    I've sold physical products, and I made a profit doing so. But for me it was a bit of a headache. I wasn't the best at shipping on time and my wife hated me having a closet full of stuff.

I ended up putting it all on clearance to get rid of it. Now I use Zazzle. It's not great and because the prices are so much higher, my volume of sales has fallen dramatically.

If I were a better person about getting products out quickly, I'd go back to selling my own products, but I now know myself better.

• List
  11. stijl

stijl Aspirant

+4
    Having a long history selling products online via blog, forums or websites all I can suggest is to work with the best manufacturers and fulfillment companies your budget can support.

If you sell poorly made items and offer crappy shipping that will spread through the community like a bad smell in a space suit and kill your shop.

12. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    Great post.

Do you have any personal experience to share? As in type of product and price ranges?

Perhaps "too cheap, be weary" vs "this price range may work"??

13. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+38
    Amazon Merch can be a good option for revenue. But thing is that you have to test out lot of options and verify the design. That part makes it difficult.

14. Philpug

Philpug Aspirant

+20
    How does everyone who sells deal with sales tax?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.