Seeking host for MyBB Forum (my first Forum)

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Starion, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    I'm starting my first forum & deciding to go with MyBB after reading up a lot. I've used phpBB, VBulletin, and a few others as a member for ~15 years; but never as a mod or owner, making a helpful host with great service & response access worth a few extra bucks to me.

I've read through quite a few host feedback threads, but many are pretty old, and don't answer the following questions. I appreciate your input, experience, & suggestions :2thumbs:

1) Experience any bandwidth limits? I'm not a fan of seeing the sleazy but very common "Unlimited" proclamations, as we all know that's never true. Peak limits? Monthly cumulative total limit "policy"??

2) Do they give great assistance/response, security, etc.?

3) Actual outage / reliability stats? (Even a 99.9% allows for nearly 9 hours of down time per year.)

4) Link an example of current MyBB (or other) forum hosted by them?

I'm planning for estimated capacity of 25k users, but aware it'll take a while to get there. Open to start on lower plan with capacity to upgrade once rolling along, if that's an option.

5) From what I've found so far it seems that ~$15-$30/mon should be reasonable for my needs??

*I'm looking to start a 2nd forum as well, so shared account capability under same or advance plan later would be nice.

Please correct me if I'm off base with any of my assumptions or needs. Or send me to other threads I may have missed.

Thanks in advance. TAZ is great
    :tup:
    :cheers:

2. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,073
    Honestly, just search for shared hosting.

It's discussed constantly, and mybb will run perfectly fine on shared.

3. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    I have - most results confirm that yes, Shared Hosting would be good for me, but only offer at best "I use ___", and and lots of "yes...Host ____ can host XenForo or software ___. The hits do not answer the above questions & details or compare the best shared host options that I've been able to find. I'm probably missing something? I've spend several hours digging around on here & going to host sales sites, but am not finding these answers yet.

I'm willing to do my own homework and appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

4. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+181
    No host should guarantee 100% up time as there are factors beyond their control. But good ones will do their best to maintain 100% up time.

5. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    Of course there's no guarantee, but wouldn't they want show & brag about their recent up time if great?

6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,105
    In the context of a webhost uptime guarantees only really have relevance with SLA and moneyback for downtime (in the form of service/store credit). Receiving up to a day's worth of whatever you paid for your plan is meaningless when the average webmaster will himself inflict longer downtime to their website between bad installs, backup reloading and other.

More than enough. Most decent shared plans are usually less than 10$/month but preordering a year in advance less than 100$/year before promotional discounts.
    If you're like the convenience of shared hosting, extra performance and dont mind spending extra, there's 'semi-dedicaced plans' that are regular shared hosting with much higher ressource allocations that you may find more interesting. Some services push Cloud plans as a cost-effective alternative scaling up and down with ressource usage, which you might want to consider later once you outgrow your plan's capacity.

My personal recommendation would be Hawkhost by default as it performs well and kept up with times (if interested, 25% recurring discount codes listed in their specials page).

7. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    Thanks - looks pretty good. Been around for a while and great reviews to date. A follow up question regardless of where I end up going for host:

Cloud (web host or server?) or VPS?

Cloud Web Hosting details: https://www.hawkhost.com/cloud-hosting-features

Cloud Servers: https://www.hawkhost.com/cloud-servers

VPS details: https://www.hawkhost.com/vps-hosting

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. IndominusX

IndominusX Neophyte

+1
  9. Starion

Starion Aspirant

+4
    ^ Thanks. That's what I've determined also.

Web Hosting gives a user options with a control panel to run the site with

Server allows more deep level controls, but not necc. or usable by a novice. I'm unsure if this also provides control panel options, but custom abilities are possible with a server (shared or dedicated).

(correct me if I'm wrong)

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,989
    If it is not managed you are on your own to install them.

11. Kingdomrs

Kingdomrs Aspirant

+1
    Get a simple vps from
    Ovh

12. overcast

overcast Participant

+14
    I think shared host like hawkhost is more than enough for the mybb for initial 10K users. After that number of users, you can go ahead for the VPS hosting.

13. Twarb

Twarb Neophyte

+1
    I think that it is better to take the UPU, for a start, the simplest characteristics for iron are. Choose the best hoster in terms of price / quality ratio is not difficult. Take a free trial period, fill the site and turn on the monitoring of the parameters of the site host-tracker.com/InstantCheck/Create Then select the best host, guided by the statistics obtained.

14. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,073
    we should be more specific than "users"

active users are what matter. you may have 10k registrations, but if only a few are active at any given time, you'd still have no need for an upgrade.

15. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,105
    Having only a couple active users should normally never stress shared hosting plans nowadays unless the webmaster went overboard installing addons and activating features with no understanding of their ressource consumption cost. Theyre not going to grow a forum's size so quickly an admin wouldnt have at least a month to plan for expansion.

16. bestforums

bestforums Neophyte

+0
    I used a paid shared hosting from a local company. I had around 5 active users and all worked well. I would recommend using shared hostings.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.