Search Engine Submission?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Kathy, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+49
    Does it help to pay to have your site submitted to a group of search engines?
    I get lots of spam for my domains, offering to submit.

I don't think its a good use of money. How about you?

What about yahoo? I'm listed without paying but that was a long time ago that yahoo picked up my site. Does it help to pay yahoo for checking out your site?

2. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+798
    i never take up any offers that are from spam emails... just a policy of mine :)

but i have used paid search engine submission with Direct Submit from www.positiontech.com in the past with medium success, considering it was cheap and allowed me to change my site around and get reindexed on a regular basis to see how the changes helped my rankings...

http://www.positiontech.com/directSubmit.htm

As to Yahoo all sites i have submitted in past year haven't gone through at all, only my older sites have.. i guess the hint they're giving me is paid submission heh - but most of my traffic to my forums comes from my other releated topic web sites i own :)

3. Matthew

Matthew Participant

+1
    Yahoo don't seem to add you unless you pay them. I've been waiting 6 months.

I don't care that much because I'm in Google anyway. :D

4. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Tazmanian

+38
    Google may be fine for now but it won't always be that way.

Yahoo has already purchased three search engine companies including Inktomi and Alltheweb. They are positioning themselves so they can drop Google in the future and provide their own search results to their site as well as current partners.

Microsoft is also getting into the search engine market. They are currently spidering the web with their own bots in order to build up a database for testing.

Add these two things to Google's own mangling of their ranking system so that Search Engine Spammers now have the highest ranks in most categories, and you can see where they might be in trouble in the future. Even without the spammers the new ranking algorithms are skewed towards commercial sites as opposed to content sites. If this continues the days of content being king will fall to commerce being queen.

5. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+798
    ah didn't know MS is getting into the action as well!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Habitué

+357
    I've seen their new bot on my site a couple of times...

http://www.msnsearch.com/msnbot.htm

7. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Tazmanian

+38
    Yep... When Microsoft's bid for Google fell through, they decided to build their own.

8. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+798
  9. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,510
    Added! The user-agent is "msnbot" BTW.

10. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+798
    yup read that on msnsearch page noppid posted :)

11. Shane

Shane What's up doc?

+0
    Bot added also :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.