Rocket.Chat as Shoutbox?

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by VICE, Oct 10, 2017.

1. VICE

VICE tool

+685
    I've been looking around for a decent shoutbox to be embedded on a website but have yet to find anything good. Rocket.Chat can be self-hosted and is open source so I wonder if it is possible. Anyone familiar with the software?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,707
    Looking at it it does seem quite nice though doesn't seem to be a traditional shout box but separate page unless I'm missing that in the demo. Maybe it can be added to a sidebar or something that I don't see.

Discord would be awesome if it allowed embedding easily or I'm sure if you can program you could possibly use their API to achieve it along with a BOT.

3. VICE

VICE tool

+685
    I'm not sure with the idea of letting my data hosted somewhere else like with Discord.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Pete

Pete Habitué

+162
    RocketChat is a good thing if you're looking for something like a self hosted Slack where you have channels and so on, but it likes to have its own server as it uses websockets, and isn't particularly nice about plugging into other websites as a widget.

5. VICE

VICE tool

+685
    I'm actually thinking of using it as forum replacement for small close-knit community.

6. Pete

Pete Habitué

+162
    It can work for that but like Slack, it's focused primarily on being its own application and doesn't seem to have as much in the way of integration type options.

But in any case it's not aimed at being just a shoutbox but a full environment for teams to collaborate and divide discussion by channel etc.

7. VICE

VICE tool

+685
    Can the chat be seen by guests like a typical shoutbox? You need to register first to see anything on Slack.

8. Pete

Pete Habitué

+162
    I don't remember to be honest. The RC instance I deal with is highly customised and integrates with our LDAP setup.

I have a feeling it does require sign up though, especially as their demo does.

9. VICE

VICE tool

+685
    Well, there's only one way to find out - I got to install it first.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,707
    Not sure but maybe discord could be an option for you? You can't install it on your server but it is free to use.

11. VICE

VICE tool

+685
    I thought you need to install the application on the client side as well for Discord? I maybe wrong though, never tried it but that's what I see on the website.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,707
    It can run through the browser although not all functions are available, such as in voice channels there is no push to talk (I think) for example.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted