Redundant Hostnames

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by C5rider, Jun 28, 2016.

1. C5rider

C5rider Participant

+25
    Google Analytics is reporting that my site is getting redundant hostnames (bench-racer.com and www.bench-racer.com). I see that this is a common problem and the solution is a 301 redirect.

That's all fine and well, but being a newb, what IS (or better yet, how do you DO) a 301 redirect. I've pulled some info, which probably make perfect sense for most folks here, but I'm on a steep learning curve. Even so, I enjoy learning, so I'm trying to figure out how, or what to do for a 301 redirect.

Here's what I THINK I know:

To fix the problem, simply add the following to a .htaccess file at the root of your site:

RewriteEngine On # This line may already exist # Rewrite all requests to the 'www' version
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mydomain\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ http://www.mydomain.com%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

Now. first off, am I to assume that mydomain\.com should be bench-racer\.com and www.mydomain.com should be www.bench-racer.com ? Leave all the additional code symbols intact?

Secondly, where do I find my .htaccess file at the root of my site?

I apologize if this is so elementary. But it's so new. I'm learning more every day, but some days, the waters are pretty deep. Any help is appreciated.

Thoughts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.