Redirecting topics to second site domain?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by cheat_master30, Mar 4, 2017.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+925
    So recently, I decided to do a forum merge with another gaming forum called Gaming Latest, so both Gaming Reinvented and Gaming Latest's forums could be merged into one larger community.

However, Google has indexed a lot of content from both sites already. So I was wondering:

How could I redirect the old topics from the (now closed) Gaming Reinvented forums to the merged ones at the Gaming Latest forums?

Cause the same members and content exist in both cases, it's just the IDS and thread URLs are all different. Any ideas how I can work around this?

2. StaticAge

StaticAge Enthusiast

+22
    Any of the posts here help at all?

Edit: Sorry I just saw you said the URLs are different, so the things in that thread probably wont work.

3. pierce

pierce Habitué

+600
    just leave it there for a year till the new site is fully indexed? Just make sure theres a very obvious link to the new site from the old site...

4. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+388
    From a quick scan of that, it should work. 301 redirects will be the quickest way for Google/search engines to know the content has moved. Both sites are XenForo, right? Should make it all the easier. Just be sure to keep the old domain registered and redirecting, at least for a while.

5. pierce

pierce Habitué

+600
    His id's are mixed up.. so that makes it complicated

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+388
    This is the info you miss when you're multitasking. xD That will definitely make it more complicated.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted