Recurring Payments - Personal Integrity

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by fixer, Mar 12, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

+370
    Recurring payments make me feel dirty. Like for sponsorships and membership upgrades , because they keep processing on users who have since became AWOL.

Anyone else?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,317
    You can't baby-sit everyone.... they should be able to simply cancel it themselves, which honestly is their responsibility. The system should then detect that the auto-renew has not been honored and take appropriate actions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,003
    If the actual service/upgrade purchased makes clear that the payment is a recurring one - then it, as Tracy has said, is that user's responsibility to cancel the recurring payment. And no... It wouldn't make me feel bad or dirty - UNLESS there was some sort of tricky **** going on - in which case - It would still be the user's responsibility to cancel the recurring payment. As an FWIW ... I've had users who have, as you've said, gone AWOL - but still feel the need to support the forum via Premium membership upgrades. So ... Especially during the holidays - members who have not posted in a while will make 'donations' using the donation system. It's just their way of saying thanks for everything - Or so I suppose LOL. But nope - I don't feel bad about it.

Just make sure that your upgrade/donation system states clearly when a payment is a recurring on. And the automated process will take care of itself. As for members who might request a refund for a recurring payment - I'd generally honor it if the payment is 'verbally retracted' within a period of two weeks. Otherwise - I'd point the member to the recurring payment policy and advise them on how to cancel the payment for future reference.

J.

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,573
    I agree with what's been said above. It's a two way street and the alternative is likely to be a far larger number of members complaining that they have lost privileges.

As long as it's made clear at the point of sale, I very much prefer recurring subscriptions. Don't feel dirty, think of it as an additional service you provide to loyal members ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.