Recurring Payments - Personal Integrity

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by fixer, Mar 12, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer Most Wanted

Recurring payments make me feel dirty. Like for sponsorships and membership upgrades , because they keep processing on users who have since became AWOL.

Anyone else?
  2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

You can't baby-sit everyone.... they should be able to simply cancel it themselves, which honestly is their responsibility. The system should then detect that the auto-renew has not been honored and take appropriate actions.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Of All Trades ❤

If the actual service/upgrade purchased makes clear that the payment is a recurring one - then it, as Tracy has said, is that user's responsibility to cancel the recurring payment. And no... It wouldn't make me feel bad or dirty - UNLESS there was some sort of tricky **** going on - in which case - It would still be the user's responsibility to cancel the recurring payment. As an FWIW ... I've had users who have, as you've said, gone AWOL - but still feel the need to support the forum via Premium membership upgrades. So ... Especially during the holidays - members who have not posted in a while will make 'donations' using the donation system. It's just their way of saying thanks for everything - Or so I suppose LOL. But nope - I don't feel bad about it.

Just make sure that your upgrade/donation system states clearly when a payment is a recurring on. And the automated process will take care of itself. As for members who might request a refund for a recurring payment - I'd generally honor it if the payment is 'verbally retracted' within a period of two weeks. Otherwise - I'd point the member to the recurring payment policy and advise them on how to cancel the payment for future reference.

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

I agree with what's been said above. It's a two way street and the alternative is likely to be a far larger number of members complaining that they have lost privileges.

As long as it's made clear at the point of sale, I very much prefer recurring subscriptions. Don't feel dirty, think of it as an additional service you provide to loyal members ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Draft saved Draft deleted