Raspberry Computers

Discussion in 'Programming' started by fixer, Jan 8, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer I'm Your Huckleberry

+133
    my next adventure utilizing the versitillity of $5 computers anyone else mess with them?

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,360
    I have 5 raspberry pi 3b on my desk. I still need to set them up one will become a DNS/DHCP server to other’s will become a cluster to play with.

3. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+637
    "The kind you find in a second hand store..."

4. Matthew S

Matthew S Enthusiast

+96
    I replaced a tower server with one. I use it for DNS/DHCP/Leafnode/backup management/Cacti/SMTP relay/Log management/Mediawiki and probably a couple of other things I've forgotten at the moment. Just plug an externally powered USB drive in for storage and they can do just about anything you can do on a normal Linux computer. Quiet and less power usage, too.

I'm trying to get another one to run a FreePBX VoIP server, and I hope to get a nosql/hadoop cluster up and running by the end of the year (time permitting). Tiny, quiet, affordable, and useful. What's not to like? :tup:

5. fixer

+133
    people are building $30 emulators and selling them faster then they can make them

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,360
  7. fixer

+133
  8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,360
    Its not a rom its a 1GHz pc with 512MB ram nothing illegal about it. With 10 or 20 you can make a nice cluster.

9. fixer

+133
    they are loading 12,000 roms onto the raspberrys and selling them as retro gaming machines $30 in parts and making $$ hand over fist

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,360
    You mean the nes, super ninteno, n64 etc roms yes some do offer that option, but yes that is illegal to do. Where i get my raspberry pi offer such option but no roms everything what they give is legal to have namely the emulators.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted