Question about yabbse

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by _| () R | Z, Feb 23, 2004.

1. _| () R | Z

_| () R | Z Proud charter member!

I once registerd on a yabbse board to be able to download some software from that company. I forgot all about it and when i returned 1 year later i couldnt remember what my loginame was. Yabbse only lets you change your password if you can remember your login name (really smart function :rolleyes:). So then i emailed the webmaster if he could tell me what my login name was (i always register with the same email so that wasnt a problem.

He replied with my username...................and my f*ck*ng(#%&^) password!
    I use that password for many, many things so i was really pissed off.

So here's the question; like in the old vbulletin versions (pre 2.0.3) are you able to see members passwords in yabbse? Coz if this is true then ill never register on a yabbse board again.
  2. dune

dune Habitué

You have to assume that anywhere you register, your password is subject to viewing by someone... Granted that's not the way it always is (In my own apps I always one-way hash user's password), but you have to assume so. Keeping different passwords is a pain, but it's the best way to be safe.

We had an employee who was stealing from us once and during the investigation I discovered one of his passwords. From there, I managed to get into his etrade, local bank and webmail accounts all with that one password. Let that be a warning!
Draft saved Draft deleted