Python

Discussion in 'Programming' started by aesthetiqclinic, Mar 26, 2018.

1. aesthetiqclinic

aesthetiqclinic Aspirant

+1
    what are the applications of this language?

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Its used for a lot of stuff, web, solar power to see what you collect in power, domoticz. It is used for lots of stuff what i understand its easy to learn and can do a lot.

3. aesthetiqclinic

aesthetiqclinic Aspirant

+1
    so it can be used as an alternative tool in web development?

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    Yes but Python is also use in software like 3ds max, Coral Paint Shop Pro, EVE-Online company like Industrial Light & Magic uses it in movies. Honeywell also uses it for their products. You can look here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1909512/what-is-python-used-for for more information.

What i under stand is that Python is easier to understand then PHP.

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,874
    Stack Overflow's arrogance:

6. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,468
    Yeah, they don't play at stackexchange. I've used it extensively as a reference for coding issues, but the environment can be toxic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Zulfikar

Zulfikar Neophyte

+1
    Python is an easy to learn, powerful programming language. It has efficient high-level data structures and a simple but effective approach to object-oriented programming

8. \o/

\o/ Aspirant

+8
    Mind that Python has an awful performance, so you probably shouldn't use it for code that should be fast.

9. Karll

Karll Adherent

+120
    Yes, see e.g. Django. Or check out rafalprafalp 's Misago forum software.

10. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+600
    We have stuff in Python here at work and mostly it outperforms PHP at the same tasks, so... in what situations have you seen it perform slowly?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  11. \o/

\o/ Aspirant

+8
    I have never managed to write Python code that was even remotely as fast as C code.

But I actually like Flask for prototyping web projects.

12. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+600
    Well, that's not really surprising... given that C is compiled down to machine code and Python... isn't, especially given some sense of bytecode in its implementation. Same reason C will usually outperform Java...

13. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,326
    It's an Interpreted language so of course it isn't going to run as fast as C or anything else you compile down to machine code. I'll grant you Python is slow and always has been but PHP and Perl have always been in the same ballpark. PHP 7 is supposed to be faster but given the fact that it has always been less useful than Python/Perl one wonders why it took them so long to best them.

The point of something like Python is that you can put something together quickly and have it run anywhere. You can go back and edit it without much trouble or spending time re-compiling and testing the program over and over again. You can give someone a script and know it'll run no matter what machine or OS they want to run it on.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Rrich

Rrich Aspirant

+8
    From my understanding... You can apply what you learn from python to build software, programs, etc. It's one of the most popular languages to program with.

15. JordanH

JordanH Imperial Majesty

+234
    As someone who has been digging into Python since I took over Hive Gamurs (Completed custom coded in Python) it has been one hell of a smooth ride. Much easier to pick up (Possibly because I already know PHP?)
    I find Python to be a breath of fresh air. Honestly, if I had it my way, I wouldn't want to go back to PHP xD

16. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    As any program language is it the right tool for the job, sometimes its better to use A and sometimes B.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.