Push Notifications - Did we give up?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by fixer, Aug 7, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    for a while forum owners were really hammering for Push Notifications , third parties started popping up and plugins were being created... it was happening!

now nobody cares? WHAT HAPPENED? did we just claim defeat?

are first party devs racing to put out the functionality first?

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    I think that boat's already sailed. Technology moves quickly and I don't believe forum development can keep up. If you compare the forum software of today to what was available 15 years ago there's actually really been very little change.

3. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,647
    Personally, I don't find them particularly useful but they can be annoying. I'm sure I'm in the minority though. I'm just an old dude on a PC. :D

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,896
    Been using push notifications non-stop on my forums for quite some time.

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,072
    While push notifications can technically increase user engagement, they are also annoying for users when received too frequent.

Theyre easier to justify for social networks with multiple alert types for the same identity, unlike with forums since notifications dont get throttled per-site if youre active on multiple forums.

6. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+859
    I'm firmly in the "push notifications are annoying" camp. They are great in business and perhaps useful in social media but for a forum, I prefer to come to the content on my own. (And my members seem to agree.)

7. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+975
    It's important to realize nearly all push notifications can be disabled, if not specifically customized for types you want to receive.

As with most things, I think it's important to give users a choice and let them decide rather than saying no simply because you personally don't feel like spending a few seconds to disable them.

8. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+658
    From a development perspective, true push notifications are actually quite difficult to do in distributed web software. Each service is different, so different implementations are needed. Additionally, some services require very specific requirements for the site itself before it can be implemented. For instance, Apple requires a developer account for the site (not the vendor), a web service backend specifically programmed and designed for Safari, and a special certificate installed on the server that must be generated and registered by Apple. And that's just one service - Microsoft, Google, etc. all have their own individual requirements.

For individual websites with a dedicated development team and specific server specifications, all of this is relatively straight-forward. With bundled, pre-built software, it becomes complicated relatively quickly.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,499
    Its just as important as email in regards to user engagement. IMHO its a must have.

10. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+975
    Agree it's a must have to stay competitive.

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,896
    That's why they can select "No" when asked if they want push notifications. And when they get one, they can opt to turn them off.

12. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    i need push because my group leaders want to be able to ping all their members at once in the event of emergency or remind them of training events etc.

the group leaders need this power over the group members or the groups lack merit

13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    If you don't mind paying for the alerts, and the users don't mind paying $4.99 Pushover is a nice setup. Not sure if IPS has an add-on for it or not. I'm honestly surprised it's not a feature that they've rolled into IPS itself yet. They allow 7500 messages a month free and then it's tiered at 10,000 for $50.00 USD, 25,000 for $115.00 USD, 50,000 for $200.00 USD, 100,000 for $300.00 USD, 500,000 for $1000.00 USD.
    I made a post over on the IPS site back in 2016 about IPS not having it and there not being an add-on for it (XF has 2 for the 1.X line) but it doesn't look like there has been any movement either by IPS or by any developers over there for it.

14. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+108
    Not if you partner with someone providing that ability. It wouldn't be hard for community forum software to natively integrate with a partner like OneSignal, and then allow admins to activate the device services as required/available.

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,499
    There are free and paid PUSH providers that can be integrated with platforms.
    https://www.pubnub.com/products/mobile-push-notifications/
    https://pushbots.com/
    https://pusher.com/beams
    https://www.urbanairship.com/
    And 10 more here: http://www.buzinga.com.au/buzz/comparison-of-10-push-notifications-services/

it seems to me that PUSH providers are as plenty as there are email providers, payment providers, antispam services, WAF providers, CDN providers, etc. IMHO serious community software would optimally support several of each so that the admin can pick and choose.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+859
    I'm curious about this. In my experience, most users visit their chosen forums regularly, be it once a day or several times a day. They tend to check first on threads they have participated in and then look for others of interest. For the most part, they don't seem to like getting email notifications every time a thread it updated, so I wonder if users really care about getting push notifications.

So my question is, does anyone have some real data that shows push notifications have value on forums in general, and what that value is?

17. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,409
    I find them helpful myself

18. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+633
    i love them when its something i care about, not a fan when its just telling me i have a chest to open on a game, just too lazy to turn off the ones i dont want i guess

19. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,824
    I don't have any data to share but I can give you one example of how much value I put on it. I used to rent out servers, primarily for gaming and comms. I used push notification to resolve any out of hours or other emergency issues that occurred. In financial terms that earned my company a huge amount of extra income because savings made on staffing.

I've also used it to instantly manually authorise new users on commercial forums that operate strong anti-spam measures.

As an admin I find it invaluable. As a user probably less so but I would still very much like the option to be notified if there are replies to some of the threads I've posted in.

I'm probably being naive but I don't understand why this presents such a problem. Why don't forum developers simply develop a Tapatalk style app for their product. Why does this have to be browser related? That seem to defeat the object of push notification which is simply to poke you when you get new mail, new texts, new content etc.

20. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,560
    Any app like that will remain a limited (functionally) application most likely. Add-ons would not work with it in most cases, and with many sites the additional features provided by the add-ons are it's forte.
    If talking for push alerts, then using an API like with Pushover would be easy to do - and they could provide it to the admins to give to their users free of charge - but you would still have the cost of listing it in the Apple directory unless the script developers did it themselves and then admins just point the users at it.
    Heck, Chris already has an add-on that works for XenForo and I'm sure rolling it into the core code would be no issue at all.

• List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.