Profile posts pointless?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by GoingRight, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Yes, we love them

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No, we don't use them

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. We have them, but nobody really uses them

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+15
    We get an average of 3k posts per day. We were averaging 4 profile posts per day with the default XF setup. After moving to XF2.1, we have decided to abandon profile posting.

In our experience of those 4 per day most were spam or lost new members who can't find how to create a thread. We looked around and a lot of bigger boards have disabled profile posts.

Look at the XF community recent profile posts:
    https://xenforo.com/community/whats-new/profile-posts/

One per day, and half of them look like lost users. Others look like messages that should or could be convos.

Are profile posts useful or just clutter on a forums organization and navigation?

2. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+221
    Not used much on mine either. Mostly posted in error (people thinking they are sending a PM, because of XF's utterly annoying insistence on calling PMs "Conversations" thus confusing the entire forum) or spam as you said above. I didn't know you could disable them, I might look into doing this too.

3. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,770
    It was mentioned awhile back that they may eventually link up to twitter but that didn’t happen. I rarely use them on the official XF site anymore and disabled them completely on our site.

4. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,184
    Yeah, I keep holding out hope that we'll see a "Now linked to Twitter" announcement any day but, realistically, I think that ship has been abandoned by the XF devs. :( I'm kind of surprised that no 3rd-party devs have done a "automatic status update to Twitter" type add-on yet.

For those that have turned off the profile posts, any complaints from your members? Did you add anything else back in to the profiles or is the idea to go with a sparse profile?

5. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    I think they're useful, they're good for welcoming new members, wishing members happy birthday, etc.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,222
    I don't care for the feature. I too have seen users who aren't forum savvy end up using it instead of a thread post or conversation. And far too often people never reply to posts made on their profile because they don't pay attention to profiles.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,282
    As a user I've never posted on another member's profile and as a forum owner/administrator I find they generally tend to be a forgotten area by staff and members alike. They seem lost in limbo, halfway between a personal message and a public thread.

That said I think CarpCharacin has a valid point particularly regarding member's birthdays.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    It's a business community, it's not surprising they don't get used often there.

Part of the key making it work is exposing the feature. Having the option to easily post a status update from the home page, or a widget on a page they frequent often, and then having that content exposed to others so they will see it. If members see other members posting on other profiles in their news feed or on the home page they're more likely to then jump in and join the conversation.

For many communities it likely just comes back to the age old issue of discoverability of literally any content on the site apart from threads.

I see a lot of good chit chat from profile posts on forums where I've made it much more discoverable. It also goes back to making profiles themselves more appealing and customisable. When people have full page cover photos and other interesting info on their profile, other users are more likely to click through from the membercard and then post on the profile itself, especially if they've already been posting status updates themselves.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    There were a couple of add ons that did link them in the past for XF1. I think Chris made one before he joined the team, and maybe Xfrocks. They had check boxes below the text field where you could auto post it to twitter and facebook. I think they all ended up getting abandoned.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,282
    Exactly that :)

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    It doesn't help that they were always heavily crippled out of the box too. The 140 character limit was ridiculous. You could barely write two sentences in that, so you'd have instances where someone may want to write something and then get an error message and abandon it. I've had it on the XF site where I've tried to write multi sentence profile posts and I get an error. For what? An arbitrarily small character count? It's not a technical limitation. You've got to change that setting and crank up the limit so users don't get errors trying to use it.

They made some really good improvements in XF2.1, at least it's a proper rich text editor now. And it's great to see them on the What'sNew page. If they figure out a good way to allow image, attachment and video uploads and automatically insert them further down the line, without having to faff about with picking thumbnail / full image settings etc, you could get some great mixed media content being posted to profiles.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,282
    All valid points :)

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    That might be partly reflective of the room for improvement still in the notifications system and difficulty in seeing which ones you've actually clicked on and visited yet.

14. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+15
    Would love to see a site that thinks they are worthwhile. Happy birthday? 30 posts a year from your buddies saying happy birthday? I don't see that happening or worthwhile of links all over the site. XF2.1 seems to have more prevalence for the profile posts but we saw no difference in content or usage.

15. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+221
    That's another thing we ditched - birthday wishes. People do this on Facebook now and the wishes threads were getting less and less posted in.

16. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    I voted "nobody uses" for my XF site.

Meanwhile, my IPS site uses the built-in functionality...

Screenshot_20190215-100033.jpg

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  17. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    Actually, that's a really good way of doing it. Copying your twitter status updates from twitter and importing it to the forum, rather than the other way around.

The sidesteps the limitation of saying you can only have 140 character count forum status updates so as to be compliant with the twitter restrictions and allows you to have have much richer high character count and media rich forum status updates.

18. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+953
    The only problem with that is I could potentially see some prolific twitter users ending up spamming the site with non-relevant content when they go on tweet sprees.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  19. bernard

bernard Enthusiast

+20
    Profile posts/conversations always seemed like a moderator/admin headache. How do you keep an eye out for violations of the TOS (spam, etc.) across all those profile pages? Yech. No thanks.

20. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+332
    Used extensively on my forum, one of the most loved features.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.