Proboards

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by TheSpider, Apr 3, 2008.

1. TheSpider

TheSpider Aspirant

+0
    Hey All,

I was just wondering Proboards is a great forum to use and they have a massive support forum where mods, support, templates and loads more can be found.

I was just wondering how comes you don't support them like you do with Invision, phpBB, vBulleting and the rest?

Spider:banana:

2. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Ex-TAZ user

+4
    Proboards uses a custom CGI forum software. They don't allow others to use it at all. I guess this is the reason.

3. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Fanatic

+30
    I would say that is the reason as well.

4. TheSpider

TheSpider Aspirant

+0
    I see, would this be the reason why there are many sites offering Invision forums and lots offering simple machine forums but not proboard forums?

Spider:banana:

5. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+509
    Hi Thespider

If you mean by support...do you mean why doesn't Taz have a section for free boards, like Invisionfree, zeta and proboards?

I myself have been wondering about this lately. There does seem to be a good number of people using the products...perhaps it's something that the admins here at Taz can consider adding, especially if there is interest in it.

We ran an invisionfree board for awhile when we first started out and loved it. I know of a few others who are running big, nice boards on those products as well. I'd be interested in seeing what is being done by people with great ideas and commitment while using these freely available products.

:)

gogo

6. Jura

Jura Devotee

+236
    I have a feeling that it's because deep down, most of us here (including staff) look down on free forum services like Proboards.

7. TheSpider

TheSpider Aspirant

+0
    Invision Power Boards are free and so are proboards, you have to pay for the advertisement to go off the forums just like Invision Power Boards. Another thing that I notcied is that Forum Matrix where you can compare all the forums why don't have a tick for Proboards either.

In my original post I posted this...

This should be corrected to...

Spider :banana:

8. annakey

annakey Charter? What Charter?

+31
    :mad: :Order: :irked:

9. kevinp

kevinp Aspirant

+0
    I really hope that's not true :(

10. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    Condensing the quote a bit...

Because Proboards is a system only available from one provider that is only used by them. You can't do anything like install it on your own host, or find a competing service using the same software.

As for Invision Power Board, that is a pay software as of version 2.0. Sites like InvisionFree were using the old, free, 1.3 version to offer free hosted forums. I also know of one host that is offering the 2.x series for free somehow (custom license deal with IPS, perhaps). The thing is, however, InvisionFree is now ZetaBoards, and is in the same situation as ProBoards now. They are the only users of their own internally-made software.

I don't look completely down on free hosted services, but I don't like the constrictions they offer, including forcing you to stay with them and holding your information hostage. They also feel really amateur and hokey, especially now when hosting is so cheap and accessible. They might be a good solution for those without any experience, but I find that those people will invariably chafe against the restrictions if and when they get a little more knowledge.

11. annakey

annakey Charter? What Charter?

+31
    :mad: :Order: :rant: :yeahrt:

;)

12. Chaze

Chaze Habitué

+5
    Agreed. They're not professional in my opinion.

13. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    *doesn't get annakey's response*

14. TheSpider

TheSpider Aspirant

+0
    I still don't understand fully, Proboards is just like all the rest they offer a free software for users to use. What I have read is that they are different because they don't allow other websties to offer there services.

Spider :banana:

15. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    You have it right. They offer a free service, not software. The child-forums here are for software, not services.

16. Outumuro

Outumuro TAZXbar Publisher

+2
    Hi Brian,

PB does not allow you to have backups of your forum or to migrate to any other forum script... your ProBoard forum is not really yours and neither are the posts and content you create on it. Most PB admins while they are with and stick PB, like it. But when they want to leave and migrate to something else... former PB admins tend to be bitter over the experience. The average PB admin doesn't know this until after they try to leave and use another forum script... so they either have to stick with PB, or give up all their community's post and start from scratch.

There are ways to capture a PB forum for importing into something else, but it is so much work and a pain in the you-know-what... that people don't bother or give up. Take a look around at all the other big players in the forum community... how many of them have PB converters to their forum script, none the last time I looked.

Another problem is PB's origins. PB is a heavily modified version of a very old version of the YaBB 1.x series... how that came to be and it's legitimacy has never been put to rest. No reason to go on about that issue.

PB has a reputation as a service for "newbie"/kid forum admins who don't know of any other forum scripts and need a free service; that it is very restrictive; and has questionable origins (doesn't matter whether any of that is true... but the reputation is still out there).

Hope that helps.

17. lightyagami69

lightyagami69 Aug 17th!

+0
    => yeah, agreed to outumuro. PB is a big rewrite of Yabb and is propietary, no download of the software, so admins of forums hosted on PB will not be able to move anywhere, just stuck or lost all posts *I am running on PB38, and when I need to move I could not take my community's post with, so I stick. What the crap.*

And, btw, it will be better if TAZ admins provide a section just for "service" not "software".

18. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+20
    There are a few "converters" out there that use basic screen scrape methods. Basically, they download pages and parse them into new posts for the destination software. Of course, they aren't perfect and their legality is questionable (some services forbid these in their TOS), but they can get a move done if you really need to.

19. Outumuro

Outumuro TAZXbar Publisher

+2
    Yup, HTTrack is a great site capture tool. Parsing it for your needs is another thing though.

Converting from PB to anything else isn't impossible... it is just a major pain.

20. gabrielzero

gabrielzero Enthusiast

+0

That makes sense. I was wondering why I couldn't find invisionfree or zetaboards.

Thanks for clearing that up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.