Prestashop or Magento

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Endivo, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Endivo

Endivo Neophyte

+0
    Hi. I'm in a little war with myself... I own an online store in Romania, it's doing well but I want to get from Prestashop to Magento... I start to like Magento more and more because one of my friends have an online store with magento backend.
    So just a simple question for people who run at least 1-2 yrs in online store platforms... Prestashop or Magento?
    I like Prea because is simple and easy to edit... Magento is complicated for me but I've a man who take care of my site but I read in this whole internet about Magento and I find that is the most complex one.
    This is one of the reasons but the big one is I've got an investor and I will add his products on the site to be more specific... a lot of products ~ 50.000-60.000 products and Presta will go to hardcore for this :D ...
    My problem is that I want to take the same design of my prestashop platfor to magento, is any software to convert or maybe I can find someone who can build or edit this theme to be 100% the same design in magento?
    By the way the site is: http://endivo.ro/

I hope I can find good answers here!
    PS: Very sorry for my "good" english!

2. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Enthusiast

+29
    Prestashop I would stick with. Have had nothing but bad experiences with Magento community edition. Overly complicated poorly coded.

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,653
    Lizard KingLizard King has plenty of experience with Magento. Maybe he can give his view.

4. Lizard King

Lizard King Habitué

+509
    I am in e-commerce business over 10 years ad it is first time i heard about Prestashop. Magento is the ultimate leader in e-commerce and using anything other than that is not a wise choice imo.

The only competition it has is Shopify which lacks many Magento features.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Kintaro

Kintaro Enthusiast

+46
    Magento is better than Prestashop but more complex. If you have a guy that knows how to code I think that Magento is for you. Magento is very powerful.

Lizard KingLizard King how can be possible that you didn't ever heard of Prestashop?!

P.s. Prestashop 1.7 is coming.

6. Lizard King

Lizard King Habitué

+509
    When you have a busy life , it is possible to miss out scripts. I am downloading the source code and will check it out in free time.

I disagree on Mageto complexity part. It is actually pretty wisely done script but it requires a lot of learning curve, That initial curve may seem complex.

• List
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,653
    I'm not happy about magento community edition SEO. How have you resolved the shortcomings?

8. Lizard King

Lizard King Habitué

+509
    There are multiple add on's targeting to handle that , on all my investigations the best module i found which tackles crazy amount of issues is Mageworx however it also has a minor issue which is adding a bit overhead to the system but not major.

• List
  9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,653
    What is the difference between community and enterprise edition? I understand that the enterprise edition is insanely expensive.

10. Lizard King

Lizard King Habitué

+509
    I am not a Magento sales rep so i am not the perfect candidate to explain this , however Enterprise version has additional modules including Full Page Cache module on top of other key features. Majority of these features are offered in Magento community , but there is nothing that can compee with Magento ## Full Page Cache.

11. carolrobertjoan

carolrobertjoan Neophyte

+0
    Magento has loads of features and various extensions, which makes the website owners to easily meet their business requirements and it has proven to expand conversions with its SEO efficiency to give your products better chance to rank on search engine.

12. halley_tg

halley_tg Aspirant

+4
    Prestashop is a free solution that enables you to build your store either on the Prestashop Cloud, or via download to set up on your own hosting. With Magento, if you are not an expert on websites, hosting or e-commerce you may feel a little lost when you visit the Magento Website.

Magento provides plenty of features and it’s an open-source eCommerce solution with all kinds of flexibility. You’re the one in control with this eCommerce solution and you can change the look, content and how it functions. The way Magento is set up makes it easy to use it for search engine optimization and you can even use it as a catalog-management tool.

PrestaShop is another open-source eCommerce solution with plenty of features. You can use the basic set up free of charge, but you will need to purchase templates, themes and modules if you want the most out of this system.

In my opinion, Magento is better for eCommerce purpose. There are some kinds of developers you can choose to help you build an online store that is fully customized and exclusively designed for you.

https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/mobile-app-for-magento-simicart.html

13. PeterH

PeterH Participant

+2
    PrestaShop targets the small to medium sized business, while Magento caters to the medium to large business, that's why I recommend it.

14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,323
    Then throw in OSCommerce into the mix... lol.

15. Alex - A2Hosting

Alex - A2Hosting Neophyte

+0
    If something is working well for you, why change? Sure you've seen your friends store running Magento but isn't PrestaShop working for you?

Which specific features are you missing in Presta that is available in Magento?

16. mausin12991

mausin12991 Aspirant

+0
    If you are looking for an ecommerce solution, no one can compete with Magento. It's the most advanced ecommerce platform with great functionalities which can make your ecommerce store user-friendly and SEO friendly.

17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,323
    The problems with Magento, especially 2.x, are it is a resource pig, the upgrade process sometimes sucks (I had one client where a simple security upgrade lost hundreds of products), and the import/export functionality is extremely weak. Magento has a great deal of functionality, but a lot of headaches. Its great for larger stores where the company can afford to deal with the issues, but for smaller stores there are several other products I prefer.

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,653
    Which ones do you prefer?

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,323
    Its depends on the intended store. OSCommerce, though its overdue for some modernization, Prestashop, Opencart and in some cases using WooCommerce if they need basic functionality with a CMS.

• List
  20. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+106
    In this day and age, I would advise against running your own hosted ecommerce store. With the number of adversaries out there trying to steal credit card numbers, one becomes a fabulous target.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted