Preserving Old URLs After Merging Forum From PhpBB to MyBB?

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by DanielGarneau, Mar 10, 2018.

1. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+47
    I merged my existing PhpBB 3.1.10 forum into a new instance of MyBB 1.8.14, now installed on a development area of my live domain. All went well. No error messages. All data converted properly. All users. All passwords.

However I observed that the links used for the thread and posts had all been changed. So I read-up on this a bit, and it seems that there is an issue with links from the former phpBB site not being preserved into MyBB site.

I was unable to find any solution to this problem on MyBB support forum or elsewhere. Anyone has any input?

2. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+47
    Follow-up post.

I finally decided not to move from my current PhpBB to MyBB. On the one hand, it did appear that there are no current solution to the problem identified in the opening post. On the other hand, reviewing both software afresh led me to PhpBB for the same reasons I had chosen it two years ago. These reasons have everything to do with my personal preferences and with what I want my board to do under the specific technical context I am using it. Also I have in the meantime become quite acquainted with PhpBB, so that what some people consider difficult with it and easier with MyBB has no incidence at all on me. Both are good .

In the meantime, I did some tests which led me to upgrade from PhpBB 3.1.10 to PhpBB 3.2.2. And the latter version and all the testing that I did surrounding my upgrading led me to some improvements in areas that are important to me at this time.

Hoping these considerations might be useful to someone out there at TAZ as many of the posts at TAZ have been useful to me, in the past couple of years.

3. inspiremindsau

inspiremindsau Guest

+0
    mybb forum is on root directory and new phpbb is on another directory named aaa know i open converter and put all things but getting error what value put in this ??

4. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+47
    You should make a clone of the MyBB forum that is in your current root directory into a different directory and do your tests from the cloned version. Once you have succeeded with this step and if you are satisfied with the results, then you will be able to apply the same process to your root. But not before making sure that you have a reliable backup of your root forum and that you are a master in the art of restoring this backup to your root. If you are not, then test that too in a sub-directory.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.